Gaming rpg games

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
but i'm never happy with localization to me it just ruins the intention meant to be in the original.

Whilst i'd rather be able to relate to the characters better, rather than feel distanced by regional differences. Horses for courses....
I think we see games and anime a bit differently, I watch to see a good story being told and see the emotions etc the character go through in the course of the storytelling instead of needing to relate to the character (i'm told this affects how i write for my comics as well). Nothing against it but I never felt the need to have to "connect" to the character.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm never happy with localization to me it just ruins the intention meant to be in the original.
play trails in the sky and come back
I been meaning to play this actually. Been lying around in my game box and on my USB as a .cso since I imported and extracted it but can't get around to it been busy with Nendoroid, Weib Schwarz and BRS the game and soon Gravity Daze after I receive it.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think we see games and anime a bit differently, I watch to see a good story being told and see the emotions etc the character go through in the course of the storytelling instead of needing to relate to the character (i'm told this affects how i write for my comics as well). Nothing against it but I never felt the need to have to "connect" to the character.
For me that depends on the character. I just had a discussion about this with my bestie so I'll just use the same example: While the whole concept of the anime/manga Mirai Nikki sounds totally awesome to me, I completely fail to relate to the main character and it makes me incapable of enjoying the story - I've got that problem with a lot of male main characters in Japanese games as well. What's even worse for me, is a silent protagonist, like the one in Persona 3, that game especially felt like it was missing a lot because of the silent protagonist...
...because seriously? A sad ending like Persona 3's doesn't have much of an impact to me, if a character with no personality dies / falls into and endless sleep / whatever.

That doesn't mean I have to completely relate to the character tho, to enjoy the story. Of course I enjoyed Persona 3 anyway. ;> But the motives of a character have to be somewhat reasonable and I just can't stand dumb characters. I guess it got a lot to do with one's own taste and all... ;> Something that's bothering me a lot in any kind of media is, that writers often use "keeping secrets from each other" as an element to tell stories, to stir trouble... so very often someone dies, gets hurt, something awful happens just because someone didn't tell someone else something they knew, because they were trying to solve the problem on their own. So I very much enjoy honest characters a lot more.. :>

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
For me that depends on the character. I just had a discussion about this with my bestie so I'll just use the same example: While the whole concept of the anime/manga Mirai Nikki sounds totally awesome to me, I completely fail to relate to the main character and it makes me incapable of enjoying the story - I've got that problem with a lot of male main characters in Japanese games as well. What's even worse for me, is a silent protagonist, like the one in Persona 3, that game especially felt like it was missing a lot because of the silent protagonist...
...because seriously? A sad ending like Persona 3's doesn't have much of an impact to me, if a character with no personality dies / falls into and endless sleep / whatever.

That doesn't mean I have to completely relate to the character tho, to enjoy the story. Of course I enjoyed Persona 3 anyway. ;> But the motives of a character have to be somewhat reasonable and I just can't stand dumb characters. I guess it got a lot to do with one's own taste and all... ;> Something that's bothering me a lot in any kind of media is, that writers often use "keeping secrets from each other" as an element to tell stories, to stir trouble... so very often someone dies, gets hurt, something awful happens just because someone didn't tell someone else something they knew, because they were trying to solve the problem on their own. So I very much enjoy honest characters a lot more.. :>
I understand how you feel but not everyone has the need to have to connect to the main character to enjoy the anime, game, manga and to them an anime is just a nice piece of animation to watch to past the time and if they enjoyed watching it then its good if not then to them it sucks but I know some need to have that connection to enjoy it but alot of people don't find it necessary, I actually find it hard to play as a male main character regardless of where the game is made, if its Japan then somehow they're all whiny and want to save everyone, if its NA or another western company they're all drugged up white dudes that want to save everyone. Its a real pain finding a game with a good balance of characters (Gravity Daze from what I read is pretty good).

Somehow I found to me that the keeping secrets thing is a great way of making a character seem more realistic because well everyone has secrets some more than others and some more willing to share than others but that fact doesn't change. I felt a more honest character just makes it seem so distant to real life because I don't think alot of us are really that honest in real life anyway so making a character that seems alot more fictional would probably make it harder to connect to I thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/8wi6dnzLcZ0?si=5zWGTK0CMXO3DJcb +2