Ripping Models from SM64 WITHOUT an Emulator?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,162
  • Replies 10
D

Deleted User

OP
As the title suggests, I'm trying to rip the models from Super Mario 64 without having to use an emulator. I've looked around but I can't find anything about ripping models from N64 games without having to use an emulator and a video plugin of some sort. Is it possible?

Vexiant

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you can obviously Google as I insinuated, as in relation to the content that you seek is not scarce by any means. I by no means was flexing my superiority muscles either, you'd know. I'd show an image of my penis

Reactions: Deleted User

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Or you can obviously Google as I insinuated, as in relation to the content that you seek is not scarce by any means. I by no means was flexing my superiority muscles either, you'd know. I'd show an image of my penis
This post makes it 100% clear that you're a ROM hacker.

Vexiant

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Vexiant,
D

Deleted User

OP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have the ROM in front of you then said ROM has the model in there somewhere (I don't think the N64 managed to get as far as downloaded models/textures), it might be compressed and it might be generated on the fly but it will be in there.

Pulling things out of ROMs is a fair chunk of ROM hacking and finding 3d models works much like finding anything in a ROM really. The emulators and 3d ripping software attached to them does make things slightly easier though as it will have bypassed the need to sort any compression or assembly issues, though if you are looking more to edit the game then this might not be ideal*. I am not terribly familiar with the N64 graphics hardware other than it is a thing but it is also slightly odd (as most early attempts at 3d were) and annoying to deal with -- oh those microcodes. N64 hacking is not the most advanced compared to other systems either but it should be enough.

*nothing wrong with ripping a model and using that as the basis for a search in the ROM -- if I want a 2d palette from a game you can bet I will first get to a point in the game where it is and then snatch it from an emulator before searching the ROM for it.

Anyway yeah it is possible. You may well have to forge your own path though, and even if you find a list of offsets you will probably still have wanted to learn a bit about it all. Here is are some links on the N64 3d hardware, aka N64 RCP/reality coprocessor and the RSP and RDP within it.
https://dragonminded.com/n64dev/Reality Coprocessor.pdf
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/N64_Programming/Video_coprocessor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later