Revolt?

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there is/was a Discord server (I was in it for a bit a few years ago, I left) but I'm curious if anyone's ever thought of starting up a Revolt server instead?

Given how draconian Discord has become, it's become a less-than-ideal platform for certain gaming communities. (And I don't get the popularity of Telegram at all. It needs a phone number? Why? How is this secure?)

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you please enlighten me? I'm not aware of any issues about Discord that would warrant mass migrating communities over to a different platform. Also, I've never heard of Revolt.

Discord respects users' privacy a lot less and lately even considers honest emulation to be piracy.

Revolt is a small alternative. The things they disallow are purely because they legally cannot allow them, but they also aren't checking up on anyone whereas Discord nannies us.

Discord even makes changes that remove features from its users because it "doesn't think we can use them responsibly" such as locking anyone who isn't running a Community server out of permalinks.

Note that "Community" servers must also enable extremely draconian language filter bots that scan every message you write and might block them without the opinion or discretion of the actual Discord server's moderators. These bots might also prevent you from posting any image they deem inappropriate, which has frequently clipped perfectly SFW art just because it has too many skin tones in it.

This is before mentioning the requirement to join a "Community" Discord requires more than just a verified email now. They require people to also verify their phone number, which frankly, nobody on the internet should be asking for (that's creepy) under any circumstances, especially not the extremely flimsy non-concern over people using alts.

Revolt has stated upfront they have no interest in spying on people and their platform is designed with privacy in mind. They don't gate features behind agreeing to let someone with no attachment to your community make your rules for you and will really only step in if you're reported for doing something actually illegal. There isn't any contending with faulty content filter bots or having to submit the running of your community to people who are not even a part of it.

If you don't like the few rules that do exist on Revolt, they also allow people to host their own instances while still using their software as a user-friendly frontend, which keeps control of the community within the community, although it does require someone hosting it. I looked into the costs for hosting my own, and in spite of how expensive everything else has gotten, maintaining an IRC server is still pennies a month so long as you aren't noodling with image hosting.

Here's a link if you want to look around: https://revolt.chat/

TL;DR: Revolt might be a reasonable alternative for communities which would like more freedom in how they express themselves (within reason) while also keeping control over how the community is run within the community, and making any final punitive actions on the part of individual users up to the discretion of that community's moderation team and nobody else's. (Unless you're reported for actually violating the law, then you might need to contend with the feds, but that's an edge case for most of us.)

herbemoji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how everything is so centralized around privately-owned company websites, cos as soon as one implements some awful anti-consumer garbage it fractures the community

I don't have a solution, but I do miss IRC and its tons of clients lol.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they (discord) even bans cheats being distributed (even cheats baked into a game by the devs) they are just a bunch of Japanese boot lickers because afaik they are the only country that makes cheating in a damn video game a 5 year prison sentance next thing you know they'll ban someone (like me) who speaks their mind on a totally different platform because they dislike what i say

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Unless you are going to self host Revolt I don't think theirs any reason to switch to it. Revolt is not end to end encrypted, neither is Discord. Both services could read your messages if they wanted to.

If Revolt ever got popular like Discord, they would have to care more than they state they do now.

It does look to have potential for something modern that can be self hosted, which is never a bad thing.

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you are going to self host Revolt I don't think theirs any reason to switch to it. Revolt is not end to end encrypted, neither is Discord. Both services could read your messages if they wanted to.

If Revolt ever got popular like Discord, they would have to care more than they state they do now.

It does look to have potential for something modern that can be self hosted, which is never a bad thing.
That is mostly its appeal, I think.

But they also do currently gain users based on their respect for privacy which I think is important for communities that operate on gray lines. I think if they started to spy on people the way Discord does, they'd lose people pretty quickly, since that's their main sell.

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using Discord for over 3 years, and never had a single problem with it. You must be so insecure about change, probably.
I've been using it since January of 2016 and made a thread suggesting a potential change, so, weird accusation but ok?

Edit: Occurs to me that you might only have used it for three years, in spite of it existing for more than twice that time, because you've only become legally old enough to use chat apps in the last 3 years. As someone who moved over to Discord from Skype as an adult, and who moved from MSN to Skype (mostly by force), and whose teenage years were spent in IRC, I don't think I'm the right person to direct that smug attitude at.

Last edited by Kazekai,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've been using Discord for over 3 years, and never had a single problem with it. You must be so insecure about change, probably.

This has nothing to do with change, this has all to do with anti-consumer changes that turn a product into a hot mess.
Simply look at Skype and MSN.
I'm not saying big daddy MS ruined them, it's just that the changes they implemented over the years have turned the product into a festing platform.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Simply look at Skype and MSN.
I'm not saying big daddy MS ruined them, it's just that the changes they implemented over the years have turned the product into a festing platform.
Skype was one of the more popular apps around that time, until MS bought it out, resulting in a lack of most features and the removal of free calls of which you have to subscribe to their own subscription service.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skype was one of the more popular apps around that time, until MS bought it out, resulting in a lack of most features and the removal of free calls of which you have to subscribe to their own subscription service. I've used it to speak with my older class mates throughout the years.
Post automatically merged:

I have used chat apps for way longer than 3 years. Whatchu talking about, Willis?
Act your age then.

Back in the days of IRC, you could talk about basically anything provided it wasn't actually illegal (and even then, someone would have to report you. There were no snooping auto-mods.) There was none of this nonsense where faceless people you'll never meet have dominion over your community. Communities deserve to be self-governed by members of their community, but we've sacrificed our digital sovereignty for convenience.

This seemed like a much better tradeoff when corporations hungry for ad revenue didn't actively go out of their way to scrub their platforms of everything that might be considered advertiser-unfriendly, including things which break no laws and harm no one. Now, all the major platforms are a disaster fire with their imperfect and lazily implemented auto-filters and lack of control given to individual community members. That's before mentioning how much of your data is being collected at every second, which Discord is actually very egregious about.

Last edited by Kazekai,
Reactions: DinohScene

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
It's sad that the discord is gone, I liked it
The GBAtemp Discord? It's still right there.

1703271221273.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok