Return to Monkey Island announced, releases this year

Initially presumed to be an April Fools' joke, Devolver Digital and Lucasfilm Games have formally revealed Return to Monkey Island, a sequel to the point and click series from the 1990s. The development will be handled by Terrible Toybox, a company created by Ron Gilbert, who wrote and directed The Secret of Monkey Island. Dave Grossman, who also worked on the original game, will be a part of the staff. No platforms were given, though the game is set for a release later this year.

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It would make a lot of sense (for it to be a new third game); he always had plans for the third game. What we got instead was outside of his control (still I have much nostalgia from Curse, and it's what gave us the voice acting we hopefully will get in this game too).

Still, it makes me think; Ron was actually involved in the planning of Tales of Monkey Island. I wonder if he will incorporate/acknowledge any of that story in this? Or will we get a rough "It was all a dream... you're still at the carnival!" type start?

Badda

me too
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
I played the original one for the first time when they released the remake. To anybody who doesn't have the nostalgia, I will say that the impact can be quite limited... the humor is not as razor-sharp as people would have you believe. Still, I wish success to this new take on the series.

How appropriate, you fight like a cow

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Indeed it is!

"Eleven - The only way I would or could make another Monkey Island is if I owned the IP"

Thanks for sharing it, I had completely forgotten about it
Sure sounds like that "Ron Gilbert's" covers that point - it's a compromise, but with full creative freedom your name on the box isn't a bad deal if we're talking Disney.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look what I found sitting in the back of a drawer.. oh how I miss those beautiful big box PC games..

n370rxQ.jpg

And here's the PC requirements for the lols..

APGH41J.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Veho and Slinger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...