Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe also if RA could be installed into USB then access speed could be much better. Now RA relies 100% on SD card to load cores and roms, and I believe WiiU uses ancient SD slot specs.

Even better, if there is a way to "install" RA + ROMS (full set) into USB overall access could be greatly improved using USB 2.0 speed (still better than SD card).

Last edited by depaul,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe also if RA could be installed into USB then access speed could be much better. Now RA relies 100% on SD card to load cores and roms, and I believe WiiU uses ancient SD slot specs.

Even better, if there is a way to "install" RA + ROMS (full set) into USB overall access could be greatly improved using USB 2.0 speed (still better than SD card).

Yeah, that would be nice. SD is slow as hell.

Reactions: depaul

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, that would be nice. SD is slow as hell.
I talked to @QuarkTheAwesome time ago about address this issue, USB only homebrew setup is fairly posible, but that requires CFW framework (iOSU exploit), unless we enable CFW within the browser exploit to gain SD-less setup, this is not posible, and looks like they (guys from 4TU) didn't like the idea of relying on the iOSU exploit for homebrew access

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Radius4
Holy shit shaders! Thank you! :wub:
Shaders were the last thing I was missing for a proper NES/SNES experience. I just tried them and they really work!
Some are kinda glitchy or too heavy for the Wii U but the ones I personally care about (mostly from the 'retro' folder) work fine.

Time to play some SNES. :D

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I talked to @QuarkTheAwesome time ago about address this issue, USB only homebrew setup is fairly posible, but that requires CFW framework (iOSU exploit), unless we enable CFW within the browser exploit to gain SD-less setup, this is not posible, and looks like they (guys from 4TU) didn't like the idea of relying on the iOSU exploit for homebrew access

I do have Haxchi (was that was it was called) CFW on here, and I have used it before for Wii U "backups" on my USB HDD, but I never tested RetroArch.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Browser Exploit depends on an SD Card to load Homebrew from. It does not use USB.

HaxChi however is installed on Nand with a FW.img so does HaxChi not have (IOSU) does Mocha?

Could you just swap that FW.img with Mocha or a FW that does via FTP or WiiUShell etc.

What about Mocha with FS Hax that what I use I load HaxChi that loads to Homebrew Launcher then either S2W for Wii64 example or Mocha with FS Hax.

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Not this again.

Agreed.
Why would a company release their own tools as open source? Even if they no longer support the platform. We are all using the platform in a way never intended by them.

Sure it would be nice if they opened the platform once it becomes EOL but there is no precedent to this.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed.
Why would a company release their own tools as open source? Even if they no longer support the platform. We are all using the platform in a way never intended by them.

Sure it would be nice if they opened the platform once it becomes EOL but there is no precedent to this.

Not like it'd be a detriment to a dead system either, but yeah, Nintendo's gonna Nintendo.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Glad to help! This was a learning experience for me as I've been really getting into classic Doom lately and figuring out how to make everything work. It gets pretty confusing. Lots of old formats and info to absorb.

To answer your questions...

1. Yes, those config file entries are correct.

2. To edit the title screen in orig15 I just loaded original.wad in SLADE, exported the title screen file "TITLEPIC", then loaded orig15 and imported that file into it. From there just select the TITLEPIC from the list and on the right there should be some basic manipulation buttons (I just flipped the image). Save orig15 and you're done.

3. DEH files are actually just text files. The music files are listed at the end under all of the "Text"
commands. To explain how that section works, the first of the two numbers is the length of the first string and the second number is the length of the second string. If it finds the first string it replaces it with the second one.

Text 6 6
runnintrack1

This example replaces "runnin" with "track1".

It's used in this case to replace the doom2.wad MIDI filenames with the filenames in original.wad and origig15.wad. But this doesn't apply to libretro PrBoom since the mp3 filenames are apparently hard-coded and it causes a conflict, so we just delete those entries and manually rename the WolfenDoom files to the Doom II filenames it expects with the batch script.

4. Yeah, just put the mp3 files in the same folder as its WAD. I think you do need to put the three WolfenDoom games in separate folders with their own mp3s though since they have some conflicting filenames. (All three in separate subfolders in the Doom II folder)

Also I updated the attachment in my last post. It didn't have the correct filenames for Spear or Nocturnal before but they should work now.
Hey!
Sorry to bother you again :P
I managed to setup Original Missions and Nocturnal missions without a hitch through RetroArch Wii U with the PrBoom core, now all I'm missing is just Spear of Destiny.
I managed to set up all the mp3 tracks for SoD, except for the title screen song.
For some reason, if I load sod.wad up alongside my "dm2ttl.mp3" file, it doesn't load any song in the title screen.

I did the same thing for Original & Nocturnal Missions, and they have the title screen music playing just fine.
Do you happen to know what I might be doing wrong with it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Nevermind, found the problem.
Seems like sod.wad had the .mid file for the title screen named in the same way as the mp3 file.
D_DM2TTL.MID, renamed it to D_TITLE.MID and now the dm2ttl.mp3 plays just fine :)

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

devblu86

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone noticed that "video rotation" is completely missing in the video settings? all of the mame vertical games are flipped and I have to configure them manually one by one from my pc. And also loading a game from the playlist will often sometimes load a different core like Atari. Even assigning a cores to a playlist from the playlist menu will delete and completely f*up my setting in the retroarch.cfg.

Last edited by devblu86,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone noticed that "video rotation" is completely missing in the video settings? all of the mame vertical games are flipped and I have to configure them manually one by one from my pc. And also loading a game from the playlist will often sometimes load a different core like Atari. Even assigning a cores to a playlist from the playlist menu will delete and completely f*up my setting in the retroarch.cfg.
You have to enable advanced settings (Settings>User Interface>Show Advanced Settings) then the Rotation option appears in the Video Settings ;)

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to enable advanced settings (Settings>User Interface>Show Advanced Settings) then the Rotation option appears in the Video Settings ;)
Only for FB Alpha not MAME DevBlu86 said MAME not FB Alpha read careful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah i have same issue im working on trying to change menu from left thumb stick to ZL or ZR bumper

devblu86

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I didn't realize that the advance setting were for all other menus, other than the user interface section. Thanks everyone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Inflation and greed