Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Only downside is possible backlash from users, claiming it to be "inconvenient", when I think that it would help with stability.
What ever works, works. Im waiting for the day a stable wii u retroarch will come. The better option would be no force close. If we can't locate the problem then force close would probably better, to at least make it more stable than what it currently is.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't get people complaints about how forcing core/content close before swapping cores is inconvenient.
Doesn't make sense from an overall standpoint.
You need to close what is currently running to open something else, you can't just pile everything up and expect that to be ideal. It's not like you will run 2 or 3 emus at the same time to whine about forcing content close.

It should be a no brainer, memory leaks or memory usage would be greatly reduced here.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: SG854

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get people complain that forcing core/content close before swapping cores is inconvenient.
Doesn't make sense from a software and programming standpoint.
You need to close what is currently running to open something else, you can't just pile everything up and expect that to be ideal. It's not like you will run 2 or 3 emus at the same time to whine about forcing content close.

It should be a no brainer, memory leaks or memory usage would be greatly reduced here.

Right, Radius4 proposed it, or was it Twinaphex, I forget who stated it a couple of days ago. Auto-closing would be nice, and should be considered, but I don't have the right to request it, it's just gonna add stress to the developers :( If someone else wants to suggest it, they can, but I sure as heck won't be the one to do it.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I don't get people complain that forcing core/content close before swapping cores is inconvenient.
Doesn't make sense from a software and programming standpoint.

To be honest I don't think anyone would complain about force quit. It'll stop the freezing and us having to go through the slow wii u reboot process every so few games. Its a win win.

Right, Radius4 proposed it, or was it Twinaphex, I forget who stated it a couple of days ago. Auto-closing would be nice, and should be considered, but I don't have the right to request it, it's just gonna add stress to the developers :( If someone else wants to suggest it, they can, but I sure as heck won't be the one to do it.
Has manually force quitting worked for you. I haven't had any freezes on my end. But I don't load many roms in one session either. Maybe someone should test loading many different roms and with many different emulators, force closing each one, to see if it crashes, and to see if implementing automatic force close will work.

Last edited by SG854,

Tarpii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone see what's wrong with my playlist? The paths look correct to me:

SD:/ROM/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/ActRaiser.zip
ActRaiser
SD:/retroarch/cores/snes9x_libretro.rpx
DETECT
DETECT
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.lpl

I can see the lists in Retroarch, but the content refuses to load.

Playlist buddy also seems to download corrupt PNG thumbnails - I don't mind this too much, if I solve the first issue I can do the thumbnail manually. Thanks guys.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I don't think anyone would complain about force quit. It'll stop the freezing and us having to go through the slow wii u reboot process every so few games. Its a win win.

Has manually force quitting worked for you. I haven't had any freezes on my end. But I don't load many roms in one session either. Maybe someone should test loading many different roms and with many different emulators, force closing each one, to see if it crashes, and to see if implementing automatic force close will work.

I can try that, the DSI errors are said to be gone, but happen with Wii U System Memory issues.

bparker

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Tarpii Try making that "SD" lowercase, also make sure that filename on the last line exactly matches the name of the playlist itself. That second "DETECT" is also wrong, whatever program put that there is also wrong. The core path and name can use "DETECT" but that CRC field (second to last) doesn't... it should be "00000000|crc". If you want it to ask you which core to launch (something else you can try if it still doesn't work), set the path to the rpx to "DETECT" instead. And just as a sanity check maybe double check that that path to the core rpx is indeed 100% correct. Hope this helps.

Tarpii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Tarpii Try making that "SD" lowercase, also make sure that filename on the last line exactly matches the name of the playlist itself. That second "DETECT" is also wrong, whatever program put that there is also wrong. The core path and name can use "DETECT" but that CRC field (second to last) doesn't... it should be "00000000|crc". If you want it to ask you which core to launch (something else you can try if it still doesn't work), set the path to the rpx to "DETECT" instead. And just as a sanity check maybe double check that that path to the core rpx is indeed 100% correct. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the advice, not sure how I ended up with that second DETECT - maybe I missed a section with playlist buddy. I will try again with your recommended changes.

Tarpii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks so much for the advice, not sure how I ended up with that second DETECT - maybe I missed a section with playlist buddy. I will try again with your recommended changes.

Looks like the uppercase SD was causing the issue, the files will now all load. I'm not sure why playlist buddy did not create the link to the DB entry, this maybe why the thumbnails are corrupted too. I might be better off generating my lists manually. Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: lordelan

MrKatanaObiWan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only downside is possible backlash from users, claiming it to be "inconvenient", when I think that it would help with stability.

It is not that it is inconvenient. It is the fact that it is a workaround, hacky patch. I do not think the developers are willing to add this into the codebase. Imagine if they started accepting such things, the whole project would go downhill. It is not only a principle of retroarch but most coding projects to actually solve roots of problems and deny such workarounds, even though in the short term they may be rewarding. Just my 0.02$ and a little explanation as to why they most likely won't do this even if it'd work.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not that it is inconvenient. It is the fact that it is a workaround, hacky patch. I do not think the developers are willing to add this into the codebase. Imagine if they started accepting such things, the whole project would go downhill. It is not only a principle of retroarch but most coding projects to actually solve roots of problems and deny such workarounds, even though in the short term they may be rewarding. Just my 0.02$ and a little explanation as to why they most likely won't do this even if it'd work.

Well most people don't even clear content before changing games or cores, which is leading to instabilities. If not, they should at least add an option that can be toggled on or off.

MrKatanaObiWan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well most people don't even clear content before changing games or cores, which is leading to instabilities. If not, they should at least add an option that can be toggled on or off.

Yeah I won't speak on behalf of them, they know best. I too am greatly eager to see what the wiiu port holds in store for us now that it's getting quite a bit more attention :)

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I won't speak on behalf of them, they know best. I too am greatly eager to see what the wiiu port holds in store for us now that it's getting quite a bit more attention :)

I know, I'm just saying the fact the memory doesn't clear when changing cores and ROMs left it open for crashes, especially for those who use the HBL method.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
is it possible to activate borders and gbc palettes for gameboy classic B/W games?
I asked endrift (mGBA dev) about this recently.
Apparently you need the gbc_bios.bin in the same folder as the mGBA configuration file.
I'm not sure how that'd work for RetroArch though.

My suggestion would be to play around with RA for PC until you get the bios file loading correctly, then do the same for the Wii U version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet +1