Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm wondering what happened to the PSP-inspired interface this emulator used to use. It feels very plain now, with no icons, no wave in the background, and a simple font. What happened, and how can I get that look back?

You can go to settings->drivers and set menu driver to XMB to get that look back.

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Any tips for improving FBA's performance? When I play games like Street Fighter Alpha 2 or Marvel vs. Capcom I usually drop to 50fps. I'm sure the my Vita used to run these at 60.
Also, games like Captain Commando give me crashes no matter which version I use. Any tips on this?

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go to settings->drivers and set menu driver to XMB to get that look back.

See, I do have it set to XMB, but I only have the blue screen... not the wave or the font or the icons. It's functionally the same, but visually it's incomplete. What am I doing wrong?

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Mine looks like this after updating to latest nightly via VitaHBB:
39-D9990-C-51-B7-4-F33-8-CC8-5581788-D72-F4.jpg

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try grabbing it from there; we'll see what happens. Thanks.

Edit: Deleting the config file in VitaShell and restarting seemed to do the trick. Boy, that was annoying.

Last edited by ArugulaZ,

FmT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just as a refresher, how can I update Retroarch without losing my saves, settings, and games?

To update fast retroarch application and keep everything else untouched (game save settings) you just need to open vpk as a zip. You copy these files in ux0:/app/retrovita folder on your vita overwriting them. No need to delete bubble and install vpk.
For data files it's a different package and need to be put on ux0:/data/retroarch

As for the problem with new install of retroarch, font is not configured by default and need to be set in User Interface -> Appearance -> Menu Font ux0:/data/retroarch/assets/glui/font.ttf wich is in the data package

For FBA in retroarch, core is based on 0.2.97.44 https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/tree/master/dats
so fix for accuracy may cause performance down (cps3)

Reactions: cvskid

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone been using normal2x filter that was added since 1.7.6? I'm not quite successful with it as some cores seem to hate it. VBA-next refuses to load any content at all with filter enabled and all versions of Snes9x randomly freezes (the whole RA app) during gameplay.

Has anyone been able to play GBA/SNES with normal2x filter enabled for extended period of time?

Edit: I've tried different versions - 1.7.6 stable, 1.7.7 stable and latest nightly - but there was no difference.

Last edited by WooHyun,
Reactions: swosho

FmT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
On the filter side, all those I tried was too ressource angry and make the games unplayable/slower/crash. It depends on the core used, so maybe its better to play with core options. Also disable bilinear filter in video setting if it wasn't. I feel standalone emulators are better for filters (pfba have decent filters)

Edit : removed custom build link because updated

Last edited by FmT,
Reactions: MKKhanzo

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
On the filter side, all those I tried was too ressource angry and make the games unplayable/slower/crash. It depends on the core used, so maybe its better to play with core options. Also disable bilinear filter in video setting if it wasn't. I feel standalone emulators are better for filters (pfba have decent filters)
Yes. I'll stick to playing with no filters and bilinear disabled for now... I wish there was psnes built with older Snes9x version. Pemus' filters work amazing, but psnes is too heavy for vita.

rez78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Seems 1.7.7 UI stable now so here is my custom build for those who use it (fbalpha 2018 core for 0.2.97.43 and supergrafx)

Retroarch : https://1fichier.com/?axkmhtywsbnwz4eh5n3v
Retroarch data : https://1fichier.com/?81yhxdvmwde65jtr1n1k
Error when try to open link

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Any tips for improving FBA's performance? When I play games like Street Fighter Alpha 2 or Marvel vs. Capcom I usually drop to 50fps. I'm sure the my Vita used to run these at 60.
Also, games like Captain Commando give me crashes no matter which version I use. Any tips on this?

I think I found the reason FBA ran so bad on my Vita and so well in everyone else's.
The VSH caused slowdown. I deleted it from my config.txt of my Tai folder and now all CPS1 and 2 games run perfectly.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Carlanga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I have not touched my emulators cores/etc on my 3.60 vita since mid 2017 nightlies and just updated to the latest stable build, but will probably update it to the latest nightly again.
I want to know where we are standing on the arcade vita emulation as of today and don't know if the first post is up to date on the specifics.
1) lolicon gets you better performance on ra or should i leave it at default?
2) Mame 2000 the best core and best set for full playability for MAME?
3) FBA is better than mame by fps on RA? what is the best fb core to run? best set is V0.2.97.30? should I use PFBA instead?
4) Stuff like arcade TMNT turtles in time and Simpsons has improved in a specific core?

Thanks! :)

FmT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1) lolicon will give you better fps when overclocking cpu only. gpu is not needed for any emulator on vita as for now. Depends on glvita is supported on not, only some homebrew games may support it. Don't expect a big performance up as retroarch is already overclocking a little, so depends on games may be usefull to cap some games at 60fps or remove some frameskip.

2) Mame 2000 was the better core, until mame 2003 plus. Romset is not that different from mame 2003 but support more games, performance and bug fix. It's still an active project : https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro

3) FBA is better for some games (cpsX neogeo some shoot'them up ....) as mame is better for classic games (arkanoid rtype ... )
For fba core on RA, you have :
-2012 (0.2.97.30)
-2018 (0.2.97.43)
-fbalpha (0.2.97.44)
-fbneo (0.2.97.44)

2012 and 2018 are the latest version on said romset and not improved anymore.
fbalpha is stopped for fbneo since a few days ago. So fbalpha is now a snapshot of 0.2.97.44 and daily improvements goes to fbneo.
Performance wise, 2012 and 2018 seems to be the best, unless you want an unsupported game or an accuracy fix.
Latest version of pfba support 0.2.97.43, same as fbalpha2018. So you can use same romset for both. Pfba have better filters/user friendly(maybe depends on taste) but frame skipping is buggy on some games (makes your control crazy makes the game unplayable) where fb2018 frame skip is better. So pfba and RA fba2018 core are kind of equal and can have both without worring for space.
Still RA mame core is needed for classic games, prolly because of sound. If you disable sound on fba/pfba or lowering sample rate, it's playing fine)

4) Try mame 2003-plus , TMNT works fine with analog stick by default

Nice. I appreciate it. Now I have another question. Can I use both analog stick as normal with Retroarch, or is that only possible through Adrenaline?

Default mapping is left analog or d-pad for movement, right analog is not used by default so may be mapped for some custom key (load save snap hello)

Last edited by FmT,

Carlanga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot FmT! This was the answer I was looking for before adjusting my configs to load them on the vita for individual overlays/playlists/different sets of games etc, I'm revamping my retroarch since I culled a ton of crap from the full sets. I tested the bezel project overlays on my old mame games yesterday and they worked perfectly on the vita so now I'm going to start preparing the new culled files for a full uplift!

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Your bi-annual update here:

• Thread updated to reflect 1.7.7 Stable's release (title, links, etc.).
  • Cores list updated to reflect new selection of cores, and remove now-unavailable cores (vicexxx is now simply vice_x64).
  • Cores list formatting more clearly distinguishes systems compatible
Seeing how fresh(ly unofficial) FBNeo's inclusion is for this port, I won't add it just yet until the next stable comes around and its included in everyone's install-able file. I also wouldn't recommend using it due to performance concerns considering Vita's hardware and how it already handles the currently available FBAlpha cores.
I'll also be dropping the BIOS list and recommend everyone read up the official documentation for Libretro, as it's updated on its own terms and is more accurate to what's needed and why, for hopefully obvious reasons.

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Is it possible to assign macros for CPS2 fighting games?
Pressing Square + Triangle and L is kinda imprecise for games like that in a portable, I'd be fine with assigning the three punches to the right analog for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...