Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I noticed that before Retroarch went through a process of saving then loading then saving again which was odd,

This now has changed to just saving.

What are the issues you have in the savestate at the moment?
The game didnt stop during savestates and so be laggy; its unplayable, and the better way is to pause the game during all the saving process and wait, and that's annoying lol
With "now" which nightly you mean? I've tried the nightly of two days ago; didnt make a loading before savestate, but the game still run during the savestates and become laggy until its finished...

Last edited by Lord M,

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
The game didnt stop during savestates and so be laggy; its unplayable, and the better way is to pause the game during all the saving process and wait, and that's annoying lol
With "now" which nightly you mean? I've tried the nightly of two days ago; didnt make a loading before savestate, but the game still run during the savestates and become laggy until its finished...

Which game ? I will test it out on mine.
I play Ridge racer regular and may get a stutter when saving but thats all.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Which game ? I will test it out on mine.
I play Ridge racer regular and may get a stutter when saving but thats all.
Uh, this i mean; the slutter during the savestate. Its annoying and make the game unplayable for many seconds, force anyway to loading the state each savings.
Anyhow, i play Tenchu Shinobi Hyakusen/ Gaiden

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Massive apologies for the (admittedly) unnecessarily long hiatus, I'll have to update a TON of stuff on the front page and get things rolling a bit. If anyone's been wondering, I was busy dealing with a certain GamePaD running WINdows.
(But to be fair, a lot of it HAD to do with RetroArch and the nightlies running up to 1.4.1, so it's not TOTALLY irrelevant!)

I'm fairly sure many realize it here, but an RA stable release has FINALLY been released for all the testing platforms; Vita included. If anyone's found any fixes that have been made in my downtime, please post them so I can merge with the main topic!

Arigatou, gomenesai.

Last edited by SeongGino,

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Massive apologies for the (admittedly) unnecessarily long hiatus, I'll have to update a TON of stuff on the front page and get things rolling a bit. If anyone's been wondering, I was busy dealing with a certain GamePaD running WINdows.
(But to be fair, a lot of it HAD to do with RetroArch and the nightlies running up to 1.4.1, so it's not TOTALLY irrelevant!)

I'm fairly sure many realize it here, but an RA stable release has FINALLY been released for all the testing platforms; Vita included. If anyone's found any fixes that have been made in my downtime, please post them so I can merge with the main topic!

Arigatou, gomenesai.

AWESOME to have you back. And I would be genuinely happy to read your impressions of that Game Pad for WINdows ;) (Im planning on gettin one someday)

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
AWESOME to have you back. And I would be genuinely happy to read your impressions of that Game Pad for WINdows ;) (Im planning on gettin one someday)

Considering the multiple impressions and scripts I got written up on the thing, I certainly have more than a couple words to say about it.
Of course, these are the Vita forums and no dedicated space for them exists, so. . . (^^;

TL;DR: Fantastic emulation device, pretty good GOG gaming device/laptop, "meh" modern game player. Basically the OpenPandora for Windows. From China.
I really need to talk more about it some time, perhaps on here, but wouldn't know where to put such a review for it at.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the multiple impressions and scripts I got written up on the thing, I certainly have more than a couple words to say about it.
Of course, these are the Vita forums and no dedicated space for them exists, so. . . (^^;

TL;DR: Fantastic emulation device, pretty good GOG gaming device/laptop, "meh" modern game player. Basically the OpenPandora for Windows. From China.
I really need to talk more about it some time, perhaps on here, but wouldn't know where to put such a review for it at.

Oh well you could open a blog to poat your impressions/tips etc.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

It might be an idea to change the OP so "Latest Stable Build" links to it instead of "N/A" then.

Has anybody tried running a Windows 95 image through DOSBox and succeeded? I tried my own specially built image which works with the N3DS builds of DOSBox, but here it doesn't like to run beyond the Windows load screen and errors. "Save Core File Succeded."

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Soooo, this is troubling. Can't seem to be getting the RA vpks to install on my Vita (Just stalls at "Installing 0%"), so this'll take a while longer to test things proper.

Though, a small word of warning that is more than relevant; If you happen to be playing an RPG or something and rely on in-game saves a LOT, then be EXTREMELY cautious in long play sessions, because the latter save files tends to get lost if you don't make backup save-states. I've had this problem on the stable Windows branch while marathoning EarthBound/Mother 2 lately and have had to rely on save-states because half of the saves I made didn't stick, so I'm sure this is also an issue for the Vita branch.

Also,

Please, is net play working in version 1.41 for ps vita?

Enviado de meu ASUS_T00J usando Tapatalk

Fairly sure the Wifi drivers have yet to be implemented (Which is why the RetroArch vpk comes with ALL compatible cores and not just a small subset of them, like on the Raspberry Pi). So, I don't believe netplay is exactly implemented, but again, can't tell at the moment.

EDIT: Like I thought, molecularShell seemed to be the issue. VitaShell 1.51 is installing properly.

EDIT 2: Wow I'm a dumbass and why do people listen to me?
So, the network code DOES function on Vita. It also means Netplay DOES work on Vita RA. . . In theory. However, all I have are x86_64 devices (GPD Win and my desktop) and, currently, they will NOT work across platforms (I.E., x86_64 cannot play with ARM, ARM cannot play with x86_64, etc.) even if the two devices do work with Netplay as I have tested in the past.

I DO have a Raspberry Pi 3 I can at least test that's based off the ARM codebase, so I can give that a shot. But I can only assume that, at least between Vitas, netplay SHOULD work. But, don't quote me on this please.

Simando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo, this is troubling. Can't seem to be getting the RA vpks to install on my Vita (Just stalls at "Installing 0%"), so this'll take a while longer to test things proper.

Though, a small word of warning that is more than relevant; If you happen to be playing an RPG or something and rely on in-game saves a LOT, then be EXTREMELY cautious in long play sessions, because the latter save files tends to get lost if you don't make backup save-states. I've had this problem on the stable Windows branch while marathoning EarthBound/Mother 2 lately and have had to rely on save-states because half of the saves I made didn't stick, so I'm sure this is also an issue for the Vita branch.

Also,

Fairly sure the Wifi drivers have yet to be implemented (Which is why the RetroArch vpk comes with ALL compatible cores and not just a small subset of them, like on the Raspberry Pi). So, I don't believe netplay is exactly implemented, but again, can't tell at the moment.

EDIT: Like I thought, molecularShell seemed to be the issue. VitaShell 1.51 is installing properly.

EDIT 2: Wow I'm a dumbass and why do people listen to me?
So, the network code DOES function on Vita. It also means Netplay DOES work on Vita RA. . . In theory. However, all I have are x86_64 devices (GPD Win and my desktop) and, currently, they will NOT work across platforms (I.E., x86_64 cannot play with ARM, ARM cannot play with x86_64, etc.) even if the two devices do work with Netplay as I have tested in the past.

I DO have a Raspberry Pi 3 I can at least test that's based off the ARM codebase, so I can give that a shot. But I can only assume that, at least between Vitas, netplay SHOULD work. But, don't quote me on this please.

Welcome back! That's a common issue with molecularShell, lots of people have mentioned it. Do you recommend GDP Win over Vita for emu?

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Welcome back! That's a common issue with molecularShell...

Yeah, I hadn't realized that until the three half-hour attempts with molecular, hence the edit. So odd. . . But indeed, VitaShell is the only real way to go (Which is a shame, since I liked the convenience of keeping molecular's loader for everything HENkaku-managing related.

Do you recommend GDP Win over Vita for emu?

In a few words, since I'm not a Sony rep and have no real obligations by any company (It'd be distasteful, really), yep! No matter how cool the Vita's hacking is, it simply cannot beat a pure x86 chip. If I was to recommend anyone buy a Vita, it'd be for the homebrew; but since the Win does that about as well. . . eh. It's became harder and harder for me to truly recommend the Vita for any NEW owner due to how slim the entrypoint for homebrew is.

But, that's kind of the scene for ya. When I get a way to run SAO: Hollow Realization on 3.60, I'd have more interest to be frank. (^^; But, I still do enjoy the testing for such aging (In a relative sense) hardware.

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.vpk (nightly) - v0.2.97.30 ROMset - PSTV
unibios - uxo:data/retroarch/system/neogeo.zip

Load Archive just hangs RetroArch menu for about 20 seconds and nothing happens.

Does anybody know what's going on?

EDIT: So here is how I fixed it. I noticed in all the YouTube videos, people were using v1.36 instead of the latest v1.4.1. Luckily, I had the old version on my hard drive, because it appears to be obliterated from the internet.

All is working now, but what a headache. Op should mention that older RetroArch v1.36 is required for v02.97.30 ROMset.

Last edited by simbin,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Latest fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.vpk (nightly) - v0.2.97.30 ROMset - PSTV
unibios - uxo:data/retroarch/system/neogeo.zip

Load Archive just hangs RetroArch menu for about 20 seconds and nothing happens.

Does anybody know what's going on?

neogeo.zip goes with the main ROMS, same directory as where you have the game ROMset.

As shown here:
A certain Seong once said... said:
Neo-Geo (FBA): neogeo.zip (SNK Neo-Geo BIOS, must contain UniBIOS as well, place in same directory as ROMsets).

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i swear I just tried the 1.4.1, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're running PCSX, and turn the vita off (sleep mode), it'll still make the Playstation 1 game freeze right after you wake it back up from sleep, right? That's my only complaint at the moment...makes playing PS1 games on a portable device nearly impossible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.