Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Slasher115, Oct 26, 2015.

1. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    Change the menu driver to rgui. You'll probably find something in recent pages of this thread.

2. Muxi

Muxi GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Can anyone tell me where I can find information about changes made in the nightlies' releases? That would be useful so I do not have to install any new version to test if anything has changed.

3. jamespoo

jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2011
    New Zealand
    Auckland
    how do you map buttons for dosbox

4. an07her

an07her GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2014
    New 1.6.9 version & nightlies not working - black screen O3DS. Not nice.

5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Core specific or the general RetroArch one?

6. an07her

an07her GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2014
    The general. But from experience, if general doesn't boot - all others wont.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  7. an07her

an07her GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2014
    OK, looks like the main one never worked, but others load without problem. But since 1.6.8 there is crash when browsing files. Before that no crashes.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  8. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    What is the latest version that's recommended? I still have 1.3.3 installed. I know some later versions only introduced problems instead of actual improvements.

9. FateForWindows

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    1.6.7. Keep in mind pcsx-rearmed still hadn't been fixed and the newer emulators will overwrite the main Retroarch home menu icon if you use the cia versions. XMB crashes Retroarch after a while on 1.6.9 but pcsx-rearmed is working again on that version.

kedest and SaffronXL like this.
  10. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    Thanks, I've installed it!

11. guicrith

guicrith Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    I fixed the emus overwriting RetroArch loader bug, you should use the latest nightly and if anything is wrong submit a bug report.

ShadowOne333, an07her and SaffronXL like this.
  12. Manana

Manana Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    United States
    Is pcsx rearmed working again? The last couple nightlys have been crashing on me. Is it even realistic to expect fullspeed ps1 emulation on a n3DS one day?

13. FateForWindows

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    You need to switch the menu driver to rgui. This is a well-known issue.

Manana likes this.
  14. Manana

Manana Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    United States
    Thanks, Got it working with an older version though. It's so close to playable on almost every game I try. Is there a specific group/person working on pcsx rearmed for 3ds aside from retroarch. I want to follow there progress

15. FateForWindows

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    Nope. Retroarch is the only PlayStation emulator on the 3DS that is capable of playing commercial titles.

16. Manana

Manana Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    United States
    If anyone was curious about why pcsx rearmed hasn't been improved much if at all since it's launch, I contacted libretro on twitter and this is what they had to say. I have no I dead what that means other than an implication that improvements from here could be minimal at best. Let me know if this is the wrong place to post this.

Me - "Is there any chance Pcsx - Rearmed for 3DS will run at a playable fps (W/Sound) anytime soon? I'ts been pretty stagnant since it's launch and it seems like its on the brink of running at full speed on New 3DS. Has it been abandoned due to hardware limitations?"

Libretro - "Hi there, our first priority is to stabilize these RetroArch ports first. 1.7.0 (the next version) for instance will have much needed stability fixes, and we'd like to first flesh out and polish some of these console ports first. But yes Pcsx Rearmed was a quick port. There are also no easy quick gains to be had anymore, since 3DS doesn't support NEON so we can't use the NEON optimizations, etc."

17. FateForWindows

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    They would have to do a lot of major modifications to get performance improvements on 3DS.

18. JP1983

JP1983 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Canada
    Hi. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've just modded my 3ds and set up a few retroarch emulators. Is there any way to change the default directory that appears when I load a rom so that it knows where my roms are actually stored, rather than having to navigate to it each time?

19. trecko1234

trecko1234 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    United States
    Settings > Directory > File Browser, then set your location. To go to it, load content and then "Start Directory"

20. Manana

Manana Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    United States
    This is my last post on the matter. Sorry if I'm being persistent but in your honest opinion, is full speed feasible even with those major modifications? I have a bunch of roms stored on my SD and I want to delete them if there is no hope. Good bye Mega Man Legends for 3DS....again :cry: