Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
> I'm wondering, is the screen tearing is normal on gpsp?

This is a problem that has plagued some users for months, but neither aliaspider nor I have been able to reproduce it, so it's hard to fix. In short, yeah, it's "normal" for some people.

> I noticed that a few filters force the program to close, is this normal?

The 3DS doesn't have a lot of RAM (neither new nor old, new has around 124MB to play with, on current CFWs), so if you're using a filter that's a RAM hog like xBR filtering, then crashes are probably to be expected.

If you want a more technical answer: RetroArch on the 3DS draws the graphics output into a place called linear memory, of which we only have 16MB of right now, and if the filter causes the emulator to use more than that (for example, using ANY filter with PCSX will do this), then it'll crash.

> Will the NTR 804MHz clock speed mode have any influence in this emulator's performance?

No, RetroArch always requests 804Mhz mode right after starting it, so NTR shouldn't have any impact unless you're using its plugin to slow down to 268Mhz.

> Any tips on setting up this emulator for better quality?

Most people come here asking for more speed, not quality.. :P

But a more serious answer: try the LQ2X filter with bilinear filtering turned on under the video options. That tends to make GBA games look pretty decent if you don't like running them at 1x resolution. As for sound quality, there's not a lot you can do to improve it more than it already is at by default.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: meep0matic

meep0matic

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most people come here asking for more speed, not quality.. :P

I figured since the speed was already perfect (for Boktai at least), I'd try a bit of fiddleing so that I can reach a nice balance that doesn't hurt the 60FPS much x)

Well that answered everything. Thanks @daxtsu!

EDIT:
Oh wait... what about saving the content DIR?
EDIT:
Nevermind, got it!

Last edited by meep0matic,

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
All right, let's get ridiculous, now:
Code:
<targets selectable="true">
    <!--   YouTube (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000B0F00</title>
    <!--   YouTube (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000CCD00</title>
    <!--   YouTube (Japan)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000D3000</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000015FA00</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000015FB00</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (USA eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">0004000000126300</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Europe eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">0004000000126100</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4G (Japan eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000011D700</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (USA cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">0004000000126300</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Europe cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">0004000000126100</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Japan cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">000400000011D700</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Demo (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014E500</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Demo (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014E600</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Special Demo (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014C200</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Special Demo (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014C300</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (USA eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000EDF00</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Europe eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000EE000</title>
    <!--   Dairantou Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS (Japan eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000B8B00</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (USA cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000EDF00</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Europe cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000EE000</title>
    <!--   Dairantou Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS (Japan cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000B8B00</title>
</targets>
Again, I haven't personally tested the vast majority of these.
Hello, I have 2 questions and I'd be glad if you could help me answer them.
First let me explain my scenario:
I'm trying to run MAME and FBA but I don't have any of the demos/carts. I do have the Youtube app in my sysNAND (which is 9.0) but when I try to load one of these emus, only System Settings show up.
My sysNAND and emuNAND are unlinked.

Questions
1) I guess updating my emuNAND youtube will do no good since my NANDs are unlinked. Right?
2) Is there any other way to run these emus or I really need a way to access eshop in my sysNAND (spoof) and download one of these demos?

Thanks a bunch!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hello, I have 2 questions and I'd be glad if you could help me answer them.
First let me explain my scenario:
I'm trying to run MAME and FBA but I don't have any of the demos/carts. I do have the Youtube app in my sysNAND (which is 9.0) but when I try to load one of these emus, only System Settings show up.
My sysNAND and emuNAND are unlinked.

Questions
1) I guess updating my emuNAND youtube will do no good since my NANDs are unlinked. Right?
2) Is there any other way to run these emus or I really need a way to access eshop in my sysNAND (spoof) and download one of these demos?

Thanks a bunch!

If you have an emuNAND, why not just run the CIAs? Then you don't need to deal with 3dsx files or the XML stuff.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
oh boy booting up the 2048 core in 1.3.0 sure needs a interesting .xml file to say the least:
Code:
<shortcut>
    <executable>/retroarch/2048_libretro/2048_libretro.3dsx</executable>
    <icon>/retroarch/2048_libretro/2048_libretro.smdh</icon>
    <arg>sdmc:/retroarch/2048_libretro/2048_libretro.3dsx</arg>
</shortcut>
I bet for the .cia there is no way at all to get it to work, such a weird core, I wonder why it even was included in the stable pack.

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downloaded and installed the latest nightly build of RetroArch and tried running booting a game on Gambatte and as is flickers into the booting mode it freezes on a white screen. I have to Manually force restart.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using CIAs, but still cant use the later Builds. Thinking there are others using GW EmuNAND that possibly are able to use them, but there are other who have the same problem. Am using the Latest Build of GW.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can report that Super Mario Advance 4's e-reader stages work. All you need is the save file with the stages unlocked.
it's playable, but it LOVES to crash randomly. So best thing to do is make constant save states, and close the emulator every few minutes.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just wondering does picodrive actualy has 32x support for 3ds version? it just crashes loading a 32x game for me.
It only works for CIA right now.
I wish it was implemented for the other 3DS and 3DSX builds for people that can make use of the dynarec in 9.2 and below consoles.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: SLiV3R

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kazuma77 More great ideas, thanks!
I forgot what's good about hax 1.1, is it still remotely useful? I can already do a lot in hax 2.5, including loading CFW.

Ah I knew N3DS had to have had AGMFIRM, that's great! But do GBA games work on sysnand through Pasta, or ONLY through Rxmode sysnand via Devmode/Pastamode? Eh I think it's pointless on N3DS, GPSP runs perfect enough that you don't need injects.

You're very knowledgeable, someone can learn from you!

Thanks, I'm flattered.

Well, for a while I was trying to keep one system on 4.5, and Ninjhax 1.1 is all 4.5 can run. I know most of the apps have been updated, but I figure something will get left out (like the Lynx Emulator for the PSP did).

If you don't want to do all that hex editing, you could just name your Ninjhax 1.1 boot file something like "boot1.3dsx" and use CTRXplorer to rename files right before you launch CN. Stays out of *hax 2.5's way until you need it. You probably would want CTRXplorer on your boot manager, but that's not a bad idea anyway, especially if you run Cakes (which supports multiple firmware files, but you have to rename them manually for now).

It's also a good idea to have HB Launcher on SysNAND. If something happens to MenuHax, you can MSET boot your CFW of choice to SysNAND, run HB Launcher, and reinstall MenuHax. Just add SudokuHax for the flawless backup plan (even a system update won't wipe SudokuHax, though it will of course take out your 4.5 MSET, just pointing out how permanent it is).

As far as GBA VC goes, I've only tried the ambassador stuff. Because I have a GBA card I setup for my DS carts (one of which is a DSTwo). It has TempGBA (for the 3DS) and the GBA Expansion Pack loader (for the DS Lite) on it. It just works so well, I've not felt the need to try anything else. But I will, just to see how they compare.

That being the case, I don't know what patches the AGB-FIRM signature checks, and what doesn't. I have modified AGB_FIRM files if I ever need them, though.

For the time being, and without 10.x support, there's probably no reason to put rxTools on an N3DS, other than for the sake of having a complete CFW collection. Not that it hurts anything. I'm thinking, now that we have boot managers, they might want to make it two apps. Having it as an AIO was convenient when we could only run one payload. But is it efficient and practical to keep it that way now? Just a thought.

Back on topic, I think I just found a reason to keep Picodrive around. Surprisingly, it actually likes that obnoxious .32x extension No-Intro uses.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
So i have resident evil 2 running just about 59 frames the entire time besides cutscenes, but the game seems really fast. Is there a way to make it run at 30 frames and it be like consoles?

mungry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I turn filters off since it seems to mess with performance with other emulators. (I really wish 3DS could get specific emulator configs already)

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting sound alright the sound is glitchy but what do you expect from an emulator really
i deleted the configs and the sound works again, now i have to compare the 2 files and see what caused it

edit for some reason

audio_driver = "null" was there instead of audio_driver = "csnd"
fixed

Last edited by xdarkmario,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Back