Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw Demo first impressions

gbatemp_first_imp_banner_resident_evil_4_remake_chainsaw_demo.jpg

I don’t think there’s a Resident Evil fan alive right now who hasn’t been anxiously watching the slow information drip Capcom has offered us on the upcoming Resident Evil 4 remake, while eagerly awaiting March 24th to finally get here. For those too excited to wait for the full release before getting a taste of what this reimagining of the 2005 classic has to offer, Capcom has us covered, with the recently released Chainsaw Demo, giving us our best look yet at what the remake has to offer to stand out from, and improve upon, the original! I spent a solid bit of time combing through the demo, and am here to share my first impressions on the remake to my favorite game of all time.

20230310152813_1.jpg

20230310153623_1.jpg 20230310153757_1.jpg 20230310151436_1.jpg

First things first, it’s clear from the very first frames of gameplay that this is slated to be a reimagining in the truest sense of the word; environments are familiar, but not exactly the same. General story beats are still consistent with what fans of the original Resident Evil 4 should expect, but with their own twist to allow the game, or what we’re seeing of it at this point, to fit more in-line with the more grounded (as best as an RE game can be) setting of the REmake-verse. Layouts of key buildings remain similar, but not entirely the same as a veteran of the original may remember. And for the assault on the village, previously safe zones are no longer an option, necessarily, requiring different strategies and continuously thinking on your feet to survive the onslaught of ganados ready to tear Leon limb from limb.

20230310153856_1.jpg 20230310154115_1.jpg 20230310154131_1.jpg

Gameplay wise, this was an absolute blast. The game continues the trend that this series has been on for a while, since 2005 funny enough, on being more focused on action in a creepy atmosphere with survival horror elements, rather than a true horrifying experience. And the gameplay shows that direction effortlessly, giving some of the most fluid combat I’ve seen in the franchise to date. Switching weapons, and accessing the attache case, has never been simpler, which in turn gives some incredible fluidity to combat, whether standing your ground (despite finally being able to move while shooting) to fight or staying quick on your feet to avoid certain death via an overwhelmed onslaught. While the in-combat quick time events when getting grappled or meleeing downed enemies aren't completely cut, they're handled in a much more cinematic way, effortlessly transitioning both from combat and back once completed. It's an incredibly satisfying progression from the original game, feeling like the natural evolution of gameplay while staying familiar to what I already knew and expected from the title. Even the breakable knife, which I was hesitant about, turned out to work well within the design, giving some more natural tension in the combat sessions and lending a bit more to the horror of the situations. In all, combat and gameplay seems to be on track to being a highlight of the full game.

20230310151331_1.jpg 20230310152402_2.jpg 20230310152622_1.jpg

The presentation, I found to be downright phenomenal. The redesign of what iconic setpieces we did see all looked great, really leaning fully into the dark and dingy aesthetic that's become all too familiar from the previous REmakes, as well as Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village, while staying true to the game I already know and love. Designs for all of the characters were great to see in action, too; with Leon and Dr. Salvador's new designs being particularly cool. Much like previous modern entries to the series, the cutscenes were all fluidly and seamlessly woven into the gameplay, creating a truly cinematic experience for the entirely of the demo… even if the issue of too many cutscenes is still present.

At the end of the day, a demo's purpose is to generate excitement, hype, and sales for the full game, and in this case? The Chainsaw Demo did its job for this reviewer. While there weren't necessarily any new reveals or big surprises, it was so satisfying to finally get a chance to play through a bit of this reimagining, and further amplified my excitement for the full release. If any Resident Evil fan hasn't already tried this short but powerful demo, I'd highly recommend doing so. It's only confirmed that this remake is going in the exact direction it should be.

20230310160155_1.jpg

shano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As a hardcore resi fan this demo sucked imo and made me question if I should buy the game.

RE2/RE3 Remake feels & handles better. The controls feel terrible, hope it's just an old build and feels better when full game releases. The animations are pretty bad and the guns feel like toys.

I feel like most the people hyped about it either havent played the og RE4 in a long time or havent played RE4 at all.

• Haha
Reactions: RedColoredStars

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
to compensate though, the enemy AI is supercharged and the game's much harder overall
like that ganado village segment was initially pretty easy on the original version of the game, so long as you kept running you wouldn't die
which is funny, considering how much more limited the controls were in that version
in this version, even with the strafing and movement they're a lot more aggressive
they'll grab you more often if you run past them, they're harder to kill, they're more jerky and unpredictable in their movements so headshotting them is harder, and they team up far more
this is also compounded by the fact that they're a bit more bullet spongey, which isn't that surprising since RE2 remake had pretty spongey enemies, most RE games do as that's kind of a mainstay of the franchise
but that small change to enemy health makes them far more of a bitch to deal with, and also in turn makes the gameplay alot more survival focused as you can't really go in guns blazing. It's likely a holdover from Remake 2 since the gameplay is not too dissimilar to that game

to be fair, this is before you get the shotgun, and the original RE4 did keep the survival horror thing up until you got the more powerful weapons, because at that point the game basically did turn into a third person shooter with horror elements

I think you just suck at RE4, or at least in the village section of the game. It wasn't more difficult at all. They weren't harder to kill, didn't grab me more, or anything of the sort. I kept running by most of them with no problems. And when I was unable to because they were teamed up? A bullet or two to one of their heads followed by a kick, and the entire group are on the ground. Didn't even grab the shotgun or grenade and had no problems getting through it.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you just suck at RE4, or at least in the village section of the game. It wasn't more difficult at all. They weren't harder to kill, didn't grab me more, or anything of the sort. I kept running by most of them with no problems. And when I was unable to because they were teamed up? A bullet or two to one of their heads followed by a kick, and the entire group are on the ground. Didn't even grab the shotgun or grenade and had no problems getting through it.
i did write that review after 1 play, on subsequent playthroughs that village scene was easier (though likely thanks to me having the TMP and Shotgun by my side)
It did still feel like the AI were more sophisticated and teamed more though

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i did write that review after 1 play, on subsequent playthroughs that village scene was easier (though likely thanks to me having the TMP and Shotgun by my side)
It did still feel like the AI were more sophisticated and teamed more though

I believe they were more sophisticated and teamed up more. I agree on those points. I just personally didn't find it any more difficult than the original. While the AI is improved, I feel it may be the huge updates to the graphics & animations that are giving an illusion of the AI being more improved than it actually was. Anyway, very much looking forward to playing the full game.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dunno why but this is the only remake than is staying true to the game!
You have only played the intro..... And I guess you missed the 2nd remake then.

These are exactly what a remake should be. None of this bollovks they've been crapping out to todays sheep that blindly throw money at lazy devs when they claim porting the exact same game and then slap HD "remake" into its name.

A remake is to take an original game and remake it from the ground up, but changing parts here or there, bringing it upto date, making improvements or just even making it how they intended originally but was restricted due to inferior hardware.....

Yup guys, better hardware isn't just about better graphics.... take note nintendo fanboys who keep blindly defending nintendo when you insist only nintendo games are fun, denying the fact your paying shit loads for a cheap nasty inferior machine that's got some bullshit gimmick that doesn't even make the console worth while as it ends up with the usual recycled first party crap and finally all the third party stuff you was promised.

So, yes this is a remake none of this lazy ported shite we've seen lately and id like to point out, be ready for loads of changes from the original, new content added, content changed completely.

Just like they did with RE2, I wont use RE3 as an example as this game was a massive fuck up and simply rushed to please the sheep and quick to milk more sales while the WOW factor of RE2 was relatively going.

RR3 simple felt like a DLC addon because it litrally cuts out majority of the beginning, middle and end of the original game.

I wasn't a fan of the original RE4, it was the start of the franchise moving away from survival horror and started becoming a run n gun action shooter than survival horror.

Then came RE5 which was exactly the same thing, even felt like playing the same game again but with next gen graphics, different characters and location.

But we are sat thinking what's next, well likely a new title of its own (possibly set in rose winters world) then another remake, question being which game will get a remake?

I know fans are crying out for Code Veronica, which is definitely due a remake and would have thought it be done before RE4, but I guess Leon had to become who he is now in order for Claire to send him a message for him to then inform Chris.

Does this mean Code Veronica is next, I'd hope so as this game not only deserves it, but I bet it would be interesting to see what they do with it.

Or maybe they skip it and remake RE6, but focus more on Leon's campaign, expanding on the whole racoon city zombie infestation feel that was the only good part of RE6.

Personally I'd like to see 0 and 1 remade in this format, sure the original remakes were good but these are well overdue and would like to see what next gen consoles could bring, plus the new game mechanic is far better than the old press button and shoot and it auto aim at the nearest enemies.
Post automatically merged:

Plays like shite on the steam deck 😂😂
Just installed to my steamdeck and it runs fine, putting settings on max can impact fps a little but not too much.

Did you play beyond the start point as that yes does look bad, the fog collision near and around Leon is blocky but that will be an easy fix.

The game itself runs sweet as pie on the steamdeck.

Not sure how to remove the mouse cursor from the screen tho, again likely easy fix.

Last edited by Spider_Man,
  • Haha

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a hardcore resi fan this demo sucked imo and made me question if I should buy the game.

RE2/RE3 Remake feels & handles better. The controls feel terrible, hope it's just an old build and feels better when full game releases. The animations are pretty bad and the guns feel like toys.

I feel like most the people hyped about it either havent played the og RE4 in a long time or havent played RE4 at all.

Something tells me you're not the hardcore resi fan you think you are. At all.

Why the scene has not released demo?

Uh. What? It's a free demo. Why would the scene release it?

SuicideNotes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I Played It About an hour back, Pretty cool,Felt Nice..Going to go through OG resident evil 4 on xbox, Im glad They kept Third person, id love a remake of code veronica aswell

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning