ROM Hack Request: Disgaea DS VA Restoration Project

Herr Riz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Disgaea fans probably already know, voice acting was severely cut in Disgaea DS, down to basically the battle sounds and the intro cutscene. I've been told that the PS2 version has extensive voice acting that the DS version doesn't.

What I'd like to have done is converting the (Japanese) PS2 voice clips in to DS format and hacking them in to the ROM. I understand this would make a huge filesize, but that aside, is it possible?

If it is possible, we'd need romhackers and people familiar with differences between the DS and PS2 versions. I personally have no romhacking knowledge, but I am willing to follow instructions for the busy work of the project, as well as organize a forum or wiki or something and handle distribution of the completed project.

Is this possible? If so, who's interested?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
So you're basically asking if some of us can reverse engineer a game so that we can add hooks into the game to trigger sound samples that you plan to inject into the game?

Sorry bud, not happening. If you've got no rom hacking knowledge, then don't start with this, and don't expect any of us too either. Go play with the insides of an NES game.

I really cannot understand why people think that forum members will devote their time and energy into doing something that would have zero return value.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anything can be possible but this will take a huge knowledge of assembly. I never looked into a PS2 ISO before. I believe that Disgaea DS has sound files all separately. If the PSP's ISO file does not, then you will need to extract the sound out of the PS2, convert it to the sound data file that the DS version use, and finally you have to insert the sound data into the ROM, do an assembly hack so the ROM plays the sound file in the time you need it to play.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The DS version has audiovisual cuts all around. Voice acting, music quality, framerate, textures, etc.

Anyway. I don't see why expanding the ROM wouldn't be possible. It'd probably take extensive work to implement the changes though.

Absynthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I made a thread about restoring the original music, but it quickly got deserted... So yeah, Disgaea on my DS with restored music & undubbed & restored VA would be... Awesome.

Absynthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Heh... By the way the bgms are in .msnd format, but we couldn't find out what kind of compression was and how to encode/decode it. Maybe you can? Dunno about the VA though, never really looked into it

Herr Riz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
I really cannot understand why people think that forum members will devote their time and energy into doing something that would have zero return value.
Zero return value? Presumably there are romhackers who like Disgaea as much as I do. So it would have value to them.

Shardnax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"I really cannot understand why people think that forum members will devote their time and energy into doing something that would have zero return value."

Yeah, all rom hacking projects are free; so I don't know where you're going with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.