CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok, Newbie to Android (well actually had the phone for ~2mths now) & got a HTC Desire HD - nice phone,yet still 'learning' about Android 'Quirks' compared to the Nokia 5800 I use to have

Anyway, onto the request....

I work in a [noisy] factory, & if you didn't know (like I didn't when I brought it) the DHD speaker isn't the best (tinny & quiet).....so 'natch I miss calls/notifications etc

Anyway, I've tried other 'tricks', like making sure ALL the Volumes are fully up / modify the ringtone (in audiocity) & increase the volume/gain of it to make it louder - but still it's not quite loud enough

Now there ARE hacks & 'Custom ROMs with louder volume' I could use, but although I have a 'semi-root' phone I don't want to go down that route just yet - (as in 'new expensive phone - risk of bricking - & possibly buggering it up' sort of thing) - but there is one 'tip' I've read that doesn't even require a rooted phone that I'd like to try out

The thing is now that I've set the phone up just how I'd like it - I don't want to go through the procedure & find it doesn't do a thing.... (Yeah I know I can 'easily' backup/sync my apps/contacts etc - it's just the case of reinstalling it all again afterwards)

So I'm hoping that some1 else has just brought an Android phone (preferably the DesireHD) & just try out the tip & see if it actually does work.

Now onto the 'Tip'

I've read that on initial setup of the phone (which means I would have to do a factory reset of the phone - wiping everything out), when you select the country you're in - is that IF you select a NON-European country, the Volume levels can be set higher than if you had selected a European location.
It apparently has something to do with 'EU Noise Level regulations'

Is this true ??
Could I factory reset the phone & register as 'USA' & the speaker's MAX volume can be increased further than if I used 'UK' ??

Would it be possible for some1 try it out & let me know
(not sure how you could get an accurate comparison unless you have 2 identical phones - one set as 'USA' & the other as 'UK' - playing the same ringtone I guess)

Many thanks in advance

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Custom ROMs are safe and there is no risk of bricking if you have the recovery installed and just follow the instructions.
I'm not sure about EU noise level regulation, maybe it is true and maybe it isnt.

There is a tweak for a high noise level but that compensates SRS and bluetooth not working properly.

In addition there are some kernels that boost the volume a bit more. But you might as well just install a custom ROM.

My recommendation is that you go to XDA developers forums, and look at some custom ROMs. I personally went with "Android Revolution HD". Because it contains all tweaks to make the ROM better while retaining its "Stock" look. So it looks like an official ROM

Good luck
smile.gif

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing, inside a terminal emulator do this:

su
snd3254 -dspmode

That's my personal favorite for using the speakers. I think I use 10 for headphones.

I've noted that most custom ROMs I've tried freak when I set it to Dolby.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
TehSkull said:
Another thing, inside a terminal emulator do this:
su
snd3254 -dspmode

That's my personal favorite for using the speakers. I think I use 10 for headphones.
Sounds interesting - what does it actually DO ?? - a Google for that seems to indicate that 'snd3254' is some program or 'script' - is it ??

Found THIS that seems to indicate that '09' is 'Srs_a_hp' which I guess is 'SRS for Headphones' - yet I already have 'SRS' selected in the music player ..... perhaps that only works while in the music player, while your tip works 'all over' ??

& your 'tip' is for Android 2.3 - while mine is 2.2 & there's no update firmware for my phone ...yet,
even though reports state that there should be a 2.3 update for the Desire HD sometime this year

(FYI - I'm on 'ASDA mobile' that uses Vodaphone network - & apparently Vodaphone have already started rolling it out)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works on all DHD's and Inspires regardless of Android version. The exact number may not be right, you should set it to SRS SPK A or something along those lines. It works throughout your phone instead of just in music player.

What it does is basically turn on SRS. I've noted that SRS makes it louder too. Just go with me here.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well I've given that a try (although the 'Terminal Emulator' I got from the Android market I've had to 'Force Close' as I don't know how to exit it properly)

Anyway tried it out & I've got different numbers for 'srs_a_spk' - it's '07'
00. DualMic_Phone
01.Original
02.dolby_a_spk
03.dolby_a_hp
04.dolby_v_spk
05.dolby_v_hp
06.Srs_a_hp
07.Srs_a_spk
08.Srs_v_hp
09.Srs_v_spk
:
10. - 22. {look like Graphic Equalizer settings like 'Jazz' 'Latin' 'Classical' etc)
so chose that instead - hard to tell but I THINK it is (ever so slightly) louder (can't really tell while in work).

At a guess - if I chose '01' would that put it back to how it was ?? (just so that I can compare in a more quiet enviroment)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah 01 would put it back to default. 00 is good for calls, I think.

If you want to be able to swap on the fly, use gScript lite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o