Hacking [Request] 3DS Network Settings Developer Application

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As has been seen with the conversion of a number of dumped .CIA files to .3DS files like the PlayCoinSetter developer application, the Youtube application, and numerous eShop titles, I believe another should be converted as a stop-gap until Team Gateway cracks the 7.x encryption.

The development tool known as the NetSet, or Network Settings Tool Application, would be very useful to have converted as it would allow those of us running 7.2 EmuNAND versions to access and change our network settings again. If anyone who is able to, and willing to do this, I'm sure many of us would be grateful, including myself. Unlike, say, the DevMenu, this will not allow the installation of games directly to the NAND image, so it's not a potentially harmful application.

Please consider converting it, as it would be great to have for now while we wait for Gateway or another team to release a solution to the new software updates.

- Gadorach

Reactions: cearp

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
At this point I'm convinced that the 3DS has some sort of permission management for user mode apps.

Anw OP that's kinda illegal.

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I'm convinced that the 3DS has some sort of permission management for user mode apps.

so is the 3ds coin setter app that 3dsguy released on here. it was repackaged from the coin setter app included in the sdk. no one seemed to have a problem with that one even though it's completely illegal.

Reactions: loco365 and cearp

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the concept of legality really worth mentioning on a forum section rife with threads about flashcarts that run pirated games? I don't know, seems kinda redundant.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

... Honestly I made this post with the hope that someone will clarify/discuss the first part of the post. Oh well :P

Gadorach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Especially when said tool has never been taken down from the site at all. But that's not the point, the point is that it would be a great tool to have, as no one else has any way to fix this problem at this time that they're willing to share. I mean, another way might be to decrypt a NAND dump from before 7.2, extract the System Settings application, and package that as a .3DS ROM. The problem with that being that it needs kernel level access to run, so it would be blocked by Gateway instantly. The only app that might be useful and not kernel mode would potentially be the NetSet app. It may be kernel mode though too, so I don't know just yet. Either way, it would be nice to see someone try.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Indeed it does.

As has been seen with the conversion of a number of dumped .CIA files to .3DS files like the PlayCoinSetter developer application, the Youtube application, and numerous eShop titles, I believe another should be converted as a stop-gap until Team Gateway cracks the 7.x encryption.

The development tool known as the NetSet, or Network Settings Tool Application, would be very useful to have converted as it would allow those of us running 7.2 EmuNAND versions to access and change our network settings again. If anyone who is able to, and willing to do this, I'm sure many of us would be grateful, including myself. Unlike, say, the DevMenu, this will not allow the installation of games directly to the NAND image, so it's not a potentially harmful application.

Please consider converting it, as it would be great to have for now while we wait for Gateway or another team to release a solution to the new software updates.

- Gadorach
Won't work, for the time being. The permissions in the ROM are checked against a signed copy stored elsewhere in the ROM, and we're limited to the very basic set of permissions that we currently have a signed copy of, PlayCoinSetter doesn't need any special permissions and therefore it works. I converted all the .cia files from the dev tools to .3ds a while back, a couple others will run but are not of much use. NetSet is not one of them.
Perhaps the only way to get higher permissions is if you are able to dump an app that has the permissions you need, decrypt it and extract the signed permissions from it.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Indeed it does.

Won't work, for the time being. The permissions in the ROM are checked against a signed copy stored elsewhere in the ROM, and we're limited to the very basic set of permissions that we currently have a signed copy of, PlayCoinSetter doesn't need any special permissions and therefore it works. I converted all the .cia files from the dev tools to .3ds a while back, a couple others will run but are not of much use. NetSet is not one of them.
Perhaps the only way to get higher permissions is if you are able to dump an app that has the permissions you need, decrypt it and extract the signed permissions from it.

So you can just put whatever permissions you want on your app as long as you have a "signed copy" of it?

Gadorach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, you're saying that if you have a legitimately signed application, you can just inject the permissions of another app with the appropriate flags and Gateway's software won't even try to stop you? That's interesting if it's true.

Gadorach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering what ran and what didn't, I'm guessing you need kernel mode access to change any of the system settings. And as we all know, Gateway would never allow for kernel-mode applications to run, so that won't happen. Well, damn. It would be nice to see some of these working, but I guess it's just too much to ask for right now. I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer for Gateway to decide to release their next update so we can finally use these again.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So you can just put whatever permissions you want on your app as long as you have a "signed copy" of it?
So, you're saying that if you have a legitimately signed application, you can just inject the permissions of another app with the appropriate flags and Gateway's software won't even try to stop you? That's interesting if it's true.
More or less, yeah. I don't know all the details but that's the gist of what 3DSGuy told me a while back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1