reporting spam in PMs

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see I'm not the only one getting a spam message from "risky 2008" then, and yes it also added my account as a friend.
Curiously enough, the spam message doesn't actually mention what site he's from, only that he wants me to peddle his spam, seems like an obvious tactic to avoid getting their website blacklisted.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
I see I'm not the only one getting a spam message from "risky 2008" then, and yes it also added my account as a friend.
Curiously enough, the spam message doesn't actually mention what site he's from, only that he wants me to peddle his spam, seems like an obvious tactic to avoid getting their website blacklisted.
Like I said in the post above, his website is trioffer.com. It's there on his profile page for all to see.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It appears this trioffer website is doing everything it can to spam GBAtemp now, from PMing people, and posting in User Submitted news through Tempbot.

Bans are in order, and some other measures.
I've always thought that user-submitted news, like the trading boards, should not allow users to create new topics until they reach a certain number of posts.
I think it would also be important to limit PMing to accounts with at least a couple of posts.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
tk_saturn said:
^^^ But he's your friend, you're on leopardproof's friend list...
I didn't agree to it, people can just add themselves to your friends list on here.

Just set it to send approval friend requests.

speaking of which, tk_saturn, I'm waiting on your approval XD

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Frankly, it's not a feature I even pay attention to on here, it serves no real purpose. I mean it defaults to "no moderation" so if you never looked at that part of your profile settings...

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm an introvert in a major way, and i'm also 32 hence why I don't approve them. I've had friend requests from 13yr olds, and it seriously unverved me, and it reminds me i'm getting oooooooollllllllllddddddddddd. Will be the pipe, cap and slippers soon. I'm happy for my age to be on my profile, but not my DOB.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I'm an introvert in a major way, and i'm also 32 hence why I don't approve them. I've had friend requests from 13yr olds, and it seriously unverved me, and it reminds me i'm getting oooooooollllllllllddddddddddd. Will be the pipe, cap and slippers soon. I'm happy for my age to be on my profile, but not my DOB.

Ah, I see what you mean. But I'll be 21 next week
frown.gif

I'm getting old, myself.
I agree, I prefer my age be shown and not my birth date.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm reviving this thread.

URGENT!

The guy in question, this "Achilles", has just decided to message me on MSN (supposedly he saved my email address and possibly others as well) and asked me some questions.

He never exactly got to his point and only reveled himself as this person after I told him that I remembered his ad-bot Private Messages.

He began to creep me out and says that he works in China for that website. He says he has 18 employees, which leads me to believe he's nothing more than a desperate scammer. I told him that everyone here thinks that he was nothing more than an ad-bot. It was at this point that his tone changed very quickly and he said, "Oh my god, kick my ass". He's obviously ESL.

I blocked him and reported him to Microsoft for abuse and spam.

It seems as though he's not done yet and I advise everyone to be on guard for him, especially those who received his PMs. He has your email and will not hesitate to use it.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Okay, I'm reviving this thread.

URGENT!

The guy in question, this "Achilles", has just decided to message me on MSN (supposedly he saved my email address and possibly others as well) and asked me some questions.

He never exactly got to his point and only reveled himself as this person after I told him that I remembered his ad-bot Private Messages.

He began to creep me out and says that he works in China for that website. He says he has 18 employees, which leads me to believe he's nothing more than a desperate scammer. I told him that everyone here thinks that he was nothing more than an ad-bot. It was at this point that his tone changed very quickly and he said, "Oh my god, kick my ass". He's obviously ESL.

I blocked him and reported him to Microsoft for abuse and spam.

It seems as though he's not done yet and I advise everyone to be on guard for him, especially those who received his PMs. He has your email and will not hesitate to use it.
Well why would you accept in the first place? I mean if you're not going to even be cautious about it, it's almost entirely your fault what happens next.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
_Chaz_, your email address here is the same as your Messenger address then?

Just as well I use a separate address.
wink.gif

But if you don't add them, or block invitations and report them then it shouldn't have been an issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1