Remove deflicker filter from N64 VC games on Wii?

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, trying this now.

@Maeson - really appreciate your input and discoveries on this - how should I put the wad back on the console when I've edited it? I don't mind if it's not on the Wii menu screen, as long as it's bootable from USBLGX so I can reduce the flicker filter.
You can go to usb loader gx settings then features then dump nand to emunand after that use emunand wad manager in settings features to install your wads then make sure to set custom paths in settings to emunand channel path and emunand saves path to point to sd or usb wherever you dumped your emunand to i think its set to sd by default. this way your games wont take up space on the system menu and you can install as many wads to emunand as you want if you use a wad manager it installs them to the system menu only.

andykara2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can go to usb loader gx settings then features then dump nand to emunand after that use emunand wad manager in settings features to install your wads then make sure to set custom paths in settings to emunand channel path and emunand saves path to point to sd or usb wherever you dumped your emunand to i think its set to sd by default. this way your games wont take up space on the system menu and you can install as many wads to emunand as you want if you use a wad manager it installs them to the system menu only.
Thanks :) Is there a simpler way? I'm a noob & that sounds complicated!

So sorry @Maeson, I wish I was more knowledgable on this but I have another question:

I have the wads of SM64 and MK64 on my SD card. I've downloaded HxD on my PC. I opened up the wad of SM64 in HxD, had a feeling I was missing some steps & looked at the thread. It seems that I need to get 00000001.app from the wad. But to do that, which uncompresser do I need to use? In my ignorance I used 7-zip but found no coherent data or 00000001.app file.

I guess I then edit that 00000001.app in HxD and change the numbers as @Maeson indicates in the thread. He says:

---------------
Here is a magical string that should work for all N64 games.

80 04 00 04 2C 00 00 FF 40 82 00 10 80 04 00 08 2C 00 00 FF

Then walk backwards until you find the

94 21 FF E0

and replace with

4E 80 00 20
----------------

I guess that's the key.

Lastly, would you know a simpler way than Worm23 mentioned to get that repacked wad back and working in the Wii?

--------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Do I instead need a WAD manager? Damn I must be coming across so ignorant here - please be patient, I'm an oldie!

Last edited by andykara2003,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm talking from memory, but it's a basic procedure.

Get ShowMiiWads, open it up with the WADs on the same folder as the program. You'll see them on the list when ShowMiiWads load. You right-ckick one of them and choose to Extract > Folder.

A folder will be created wherever you choose, with the files of the WAD. Go to it and you'll see all the .app files. Open 00000001.app with HxD. Now press Crtf + F for Search, select the tab "Hexadecimal values".

Copy "80 04 00 04 2C 00 00 FF 40 82 00 10 80 04 00 08 2C 00 00 FF" without the " and click on search. HxD will look for the string of values, and should find it very quick as it's a small file. Once it finds it, it will show it to you. From there, follow the values backwards until you find "94 21 FF E0" not too far back.

Once you do, you click on 94 and write 4E 80 00 20, basically overwriting 94 21 FF E0. You can just click and drag to select 94 21 FF E0 after you find it, and paste 4E 80 00 20 over them. Once you do, you save and cose HxD. You only need to repack the WAD, which you can do with ShowMiiWads again, it's undet he Tools section.

Then you're left with a WAD file with the changes, which you can install and try.

Reactions: Webardo

andykara2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Get ShowMiiWads, open it up with the WADs on the same folder as the program. You'll see them on the list when ShowMiiWads load. You right-ckick one of them and choose to Extract > Folder.

A folder will be created wherever you choose, with the files of the WAD. Go to it and you'll see all the .app files. Open 00000001.app with HxD. Now press Crtf + F for Search, select the tab "Hexadecimal values".

Copy "80 04 00 04 2C 00 00 FF 40 82 00 10 80 04 00 08 2C 00 00 FF" without the " and click on search. HxD will look for the string of values, and should find it very quick as it's a small file. Once it finds it, it will show it to you. From there, follow the values backwards until you find "94 21 FF E0" not too far back.

Once you do, you click on 94 and write 4E 80 00 20, basically overwriting 94 21 FF E0. You can just click and drag to select 94 21 FF E0 after you find it, and paste 4E 80 00 20 over them. Once you do, you save and cose HxD. You only need to repack the WAD, which you can do with ShowMiiWads again, it's undet he Tools section.

Then you're left with a WAD file with the changes, which you can install and try.
EDIT - this is working! Just done Mario, going through the games now, will get back shortly..
Post automatically merged:

So relieved & grateful to all here to say that it worked! Took me a bit of getting my head around it all, but so pleased with the results - the games look much more colourful with whiter whites and I don't have to push the contrast levels high on the TV, which is great as the phosphors are better preserved.

The only games that I couldn't change were Mario Tennis and Majora's Mask, which isn't much bother to me - I'm not into MM and I hardly ever play MT. The long hex code just wasn't in the 1.app files for those. All the important games like SM64, MK64, Wave race, 1080 etc. work perfectly though.

Combine the removal of the dark filter with just one layer of deflicker filter off and it looks so authentic - clean but not too sharp & pixellated, the right balance of clarity & softness. Just like my rose tinted glasses remember my PAL N64 looking back in the day, but in NTSC speed. But side by side with my N64, night & day.

Thanks so much @Maeson for your help & work on these hacks, really appreciated, amazing stuff.

Last edited by andykara2003,
Reactions: Maeson

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm getting very tired of how since the change, gbatemp is contantly not sending me notifications of threads I participate, so I think they've got no new messages.

Sorry for not commenting earlier. I am very glad you got your N64 games looking as you wanted! We were very happy back then to get some sharper picture out of the Wii too, specially me.

Enjoy some gaming! Reading your message just reminded me of Wave Race's OST. What an awesome work from Totaka.

keanu_yves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Hi, I think I followed the correct steps. I'm trying with Paper Mario, but when installing on the Wii, WiiModLite gives an error: "(-1022) Content did not match hash in TMD".

Some help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum