Religions of the Temp

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't want to be that guy but why Satanism? By nature, Satanism is intolerant and obviously an offensive parody. It is named after the tempter and the most evil being of creation. In the article you posted, it mentions that it is somewhat founded based on principles of Ayn Rand. Have you ever read any of her philosophy? She is absolutely nuts. Not only does she contradict herself multiple times, but she also quotes characters from her stories as if they were authorities on the matter. Try reading the first chapter of The Virtue of Selfishness called "Objectivist Ethics" and you will see her philosophy crumble. It starts to make points, but fails when she questions them especially when she starts talking about the goodwill of mankind. The article also mentions Friedrich Nietzsche who was driven mad by his ridiculously prideful philosophy. Never before had such a frail and fragile man believed he had so much power.

Edit: I just want to say that I do have a lot of respect for Catboy's intelligence and I often look to him as an authority on any thread where he comments about games and computer things which are way past my knowledge.

I have a greater reason, but I don't really feel conformable explaining it in detail. As I said before, religion is a personal choice, with personal ties to a person. My reason to choosing it, is the same as any other person's reason to choose their religion.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a legit question. I'll give Catboy a chance to explain his reasons (if he so wishes), but we are not here to poke holes in other peoples' respective beliefs. If you do not agree with him, do not shoot his reasons down in an attempt to make him see things your way.

The same question could be turned around to say "why Christianity?" or "why Islam?" or "why any religion at all?" In any case, following such questions with a list of discrepancies and negatives is a surefire way to invite unwelcome conversation. Even if the person you're directly asking is able to hold a calm conversation, someone is going to get defensive and irrational.

I just want to say that I had no idea Catboy delved in Satanism until now. All this time I have considered him a friend and an equal, and his religious beliefs do not change how I think about him.
Got it. I understand that the point of this thread is not really to start a hectic religious argument so I will not do it.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me just start off with what I think, and then post the picture.

I tend to have a mix of things I believe in. I believe there is a god, but I also believe some of the things in Solipism. I must go to bed now to get ready for school, but I'll update this post with a more in-depth perception later.

182187_10152421384825092_247174330_n.jpg

Reactions: Maxternal

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to be that guy but why Satanism? By nature, Satanism is intolerant and obviously an offensive parody. It is named after the tempter and the most evil being of creation. In the article you posted, it mentions that it is somewhat founded based on principles of Ayn Rand. Have you ever read any of her philosophy? She is absolutely nuts. Not only does she contradict herself multiple times, but she also quotes characters from her stories as if they were authorities on the matter. Try reading the first chapter of The Virtue of Selfishness called "Objectivist Ethics" and you will see her philosophy crumble. It starts to make points, but fails when she questions them especially when she starts talking about the goodwill of mankind. The article also mentions Friedrich Nietzsche who was driven mad by his ridiculously prideful philosophy. Never before had such a frail and fragile man believed he had so much power.

Edit: I just want to say that I do have a lot of respect for Catboy's intelligence and I often look to him as an authority on any thread where he comments about games and computer things which are way past my knowledge.

Before going on to what I have to say (if felt that this is out of line, then just remove this part only, not the block about my beliefs after it), I kinda want to casually throw out the idea that you can't say something like " Have you ever read any of her philosophy? She is absolutely nuts. Not only does she contradict herself multiple times, but she also quotes characters from her stories as if they were authorities on the matter. Try reading the first chapter of The Virtue of Selfishness called "Objectivist Ethics" and you will see her philosophy crumble. It starts to make points, but fails when[...]" without applying that to most, if not all religious texts and the beliefs that some of them are formed on and around, if you're looking at them from an outsiders point of view like I do.

ANYWAY, that said.

Now that I am back home on my desktop (where it is much easier to type at length) a few things about my upbringing and past/current beliefs since we seem to be going that way. I was raised (and I use the term loosely as I don't live in a religious household) Roman Catholic, baptized and confirmed; not living in a religious household, I was never devoted to the religion, seldom went to church, don't read the bible, don't really pray, etc. I did once ride my bike to my church though (roughly a 45 minute ride, mostly up hill, which sucked on a crap bike) to pray when I was going through some major rough spot with my at-the-time girlfriend, because, you know, teenage angst and thinking that was the end of my world if we broke up (turned out to be one of the best things to happen to me).

I'm open minded to religion but I do have what I believe, which is in a god as some higher power, not a specific deity; no belief nor disbelief in heaven, hell, purgatory, afterlife, etc, I could be swayed either way on that and from time to time do waver exactly where my belief sits on that, but usually that we all just go to the same place when we die, wherever that may be (maybe a hell reserved for the absolute worst of the worst); that a god, if it exists, does not need to be appeased by prayer and devotion, that if we're all created in its image than we're all going to be loved one and the same by it.

But my biggest thing is respect. For yourself, others, and their beliefs.
I don't care if you're a guy or a girl.
Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist.
Black, white, Asian, Hispanic.
Gay, straight, bi.
Rich, poor, homeless.
I don't care what you are. If you're going to represent something in one way or another, simply by being alive and having a personality, respect yourself. Be proud to show it, and be proud that other people show theirs. But don't try to out do them and don't let them out do you, just be open minded about it all and try to just get along. That's what's important to me. I don't give a fuck what anyone is or isn't, I just want everyone to show a little respect. It goes a long way.

------------

Also, as I mentioned my religion topic from a little while ago, me and Catboy had talked for a little bit back and forth, he explained to me a bit his reasoning for his beliefs and gave me a small bit of literature on it. It's not Satanism as most people expect it, just because it has the word "Satan" in it. It's, from what I interpreted of it, a very realist belief. I like it. There's also a lot of things that I personally can take from it and find that they apply to me perfectly as well, but I don't think I am ready to, nor do I know if I even want to, apply a definitive label to my beliefs, which is why I said what I did earlier - I believe in the idea of individual beliefs. And that's it, as far as I am concerned.

Unless someone tries shoving it in my face, what they believe has absolutely zero gravity on how I personally live my day to day life, which is how I feel it ought to be.

Reactions: The Catboy

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LaVey's Satanism strikes me as hedonism mixed with shock value. I will admit the underlying philosophy is no less sound than that of many religions. However, it can't be denied that Satanism has a counter-culture element to it. If the "Satan" of LaVeyan Satanism is purely symbolic, as LaVeyan Satanist believe, then there is no reason to use the word "Satan" at all. By evoking that name, LaVey served no practical purpose for the religion he was building. The religion could be fundamentally the same if it were called anything else. Ultimately by employing the name Satan with it’s obvious connotations to the abrahamic faiths, LaVey's religion ends up looking like little more than a veiled attack on the traditional churches. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with openly opposing the norms of other religions, but it makes for a weak basis for the formation of a new religion.

Just my 2 cent, no disrespect intended of course.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before going on to what I have to say (if felt that this is out of line, then just remove this part only, not the block about my beliefs after it), I kinda want to casually throw out the idea that you can't say something like " Have you ever read any of her philosophy? She is absolutely nuts. Not only does she contradict herself multiple times, but she also quotes characters from her stories as if they were authorities on the matter. Try reading the first chapter of The Virtue of Selfishness called "Objectivist Ethics" and you will see her philosophy crumble. It starts to make points, but fails when[...]" without applying that to most, if not all religious texts and the beliefs that some of them are formed on and around, if you're looking at them from an outsiders point of view like I do.

First off I take no offence in what you just said and I do not think it is out of line at all and I hope that no one else does.
Anyways of course you should be able to say that people are absolutely nuts. Ayn Rand is a philosopher and certainly not religious. I will give you an example of why she is off her rocker. In her piece of writing, she is arguing for a Kantian and yet still Aristoleian type of ethics. She particularly argues that people should act only towards their own self interests and it is morally wrong and stupid to act otherwise. After arguing this for a long time in many different ways, she presents a counterargument addressing the issue if someone is drowning right next to you and you have the means to save the person. She says that you should save them for the good of man which completely contradicts her whole argument. Also any egoist philosopher who preaches their philosophy is surely being altruistic which is certainly against their philosophy.

Anyways, here is a funny video clip from Monty Python. It's okay for me to joke about it because I'm Catholic.
[/quote]

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm just curious- what is the most believed in religion on GBAtemp?

My religion is hip-hop. It has kept my mind spiritual throughout all the bullshit during my travels through this life. With that, I am agnostic. I have belief in my spirituality but I do not need an organized religion to dictate how I should believe it.

-another world

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im a raised christian but i dont believe what my family do though im a huge fan/believer of Buddhism/new aged/occult from what i research on Buddhism i find that i believe more of it then Christianity plus i do alot of occult research and new age research but i respect my family views on religion and other views on religions as well

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well...

My mother's Adventist and my father's a Roman Catholic... My sister's baptized as an Adventist, but I am not currently baptized to any religion...

This therefore, makes me... terribly, terribly confused.

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4