nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WII-HEXEN II for Nintendo Wii & Wii U (vWii) - (BUILD #1095)

Please read these lines carefully as they may be important in order to get the game to run properly!
This game port is the work of nitr8 and has been tested so far.

PRE-INFO

For OGG music playback see post #5.

!!! IF YOU GET AN ERROR UPON STARTUP, SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT AN UNSUPPORTED VIDEO MODE, REPORT THAT MODE BACK HERE SO I CAN GET IT FIXED !!!

COMPILING / TESTING INFO

- Windows 7 Pro x86
- devkitPro Release 27 (devkitPPC Wii-SDK) with GCC v4.8.2
- Eclipse Kepler CDT as GUI
- Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion source
- several code snippets from here and there

REQUIREMENTS

- a Nintendo Wii Console with Homebrew Channel installed
- an original Wii Classic Controller connected to the Wiimote or Wii U Pro Controller (plays best)
- an USB-drive or SD-Card

INSTALLATION

- copy the "APPS" folder to the root of your USB device - same with the "TIMIDITY" folder

- if you want, you can install the FORWARDER WAD's corresponding to your console using YAWMM

- the contents of the main game's DATA1 folder are required in order to get the game to run

- DO NOT RENAME THE GAME DIRECTORY AS IT'S SPECIFIC TO THE SOURCE CODE

- DO NOT MOVE OR RENAME ANY OF THE FILES WITHIN THE GAME DIRECTORY THAT CAME WITH THIS RELEASE

BUG REPORTS

- please report any bugs for each game to the corresponding game by messaging me

THANKS FLY OUT TO

- The Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion Team
- The creator of "Wii7800" as i used his video code but rewrote it from C++ to native C
- The devkitPro Team

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #758)

- ADDED "CHEATS" menu
- ADDED "DEBUG" menu

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #761)

- ADDED SD-Card support

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #1032)

- ADDED thumb stick switching support
- FIXED fullscreen flaw for NTSC, PAL @ 50Hz & PAL @ 60Hz*

* = You need to check if it fits your screen. I've tested those 3 modes on a PAL and NTSC console where it seems to work. Though, I've used a component cable if that is any useful to you.

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #1074)

- ADDED EU 60Hz NTSC fullscreen video mode support

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #1085)

- FIXED "centerview" button binding flaw
- FIXED A BUG in the game's "CHEATS" menu that made the game crash when exceeding the "PLAYER CLASS" selection
- ADDED "WARP TO MAP" option to "CHEATS" menu

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #1095)

- FIXED sound loop upon saving a game (seems as it also speeds up saving now...)
- ADDED NTSC fullscreen video mode support for 480p

==============================================================================

This port uses directly integrated devkitpro / devkitPPC video stuff. "Hammer of Thyrion" usually provides it's own SDL video stuff but i haven't been able to get Wii's SDL port video to run with it, so i had to integrate the WIi stuff directly into this game as it does texture conversion and it just works. The Wii's SDL library port isn't that "comfortable" for games like HEXEN II and even QUAKE.

If only the question turns up: YES, IT ALSO RUNS "PORTAL OF PRAEVUS". Just place the "portals" directory inside the apps/wiihexen2/ directory and it will - USUALLY - load automatically. You then can select the original HEXEN II mission from within the "NEW GAME" menu by selecting "OLD MISSION". "NEW MISSION" will directly start "PORTAL OF PRAEVUS" instead.

Wii-HEXEN II uses 32MB of HEAP as a freshly "Hammer of Thyrion" compiled binary on a PC does exactly that as well. It is even recommended by the "PORTAL OF PRAEVUS" system specs - same goes for the video surface cache which i raised from 1075K up to 1485K. These two changes made precaching faster and even switching between the maps was improved by that.

I had to disable access to the "MULTIPLAYER" menu as it won't run for the Wii's purposes and i didn't even take some deeper look at it.

P.S.: It would be BEST to update your existing HEXEN II game data to the latest version before running it using this port.

DOWNLOAD UPDATED AS OF MAR. 11TH 2020
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fmyfsxvw7l9d898/Wii-HEXEN2.zip/file

Last edited by nitr8,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
WII-HEXEN II for Nintendo Wii & Wii U (vWii) - (BUILD #761)

Please read these lines carefully as they may be important in order to get the game to run properly!
This game port is the work of nitr8 and has been tested so far.

PRE-INFO

- None

COMPILING / TESTING INFO

- Windows 7 Pro x86
- devkitPro Release 27 (devkitPPC Wii-SDK) with GCC v4.8.2
- Eclipse Kepler CDT as GUI
- Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion source
- several code snippets from here and there

REQUIREMENTS

- a Nintendo Wii Console with Homebrew Channel installed
- an original Wii Classic Controller connected to the Wiimote or Wii U Pro Controller (plays best)
- an USB-drive or SD-Card

INSTALLATION

- copy the "APPS" folder to the root of your USB device - same with the "TIMIDITY" folder

- if you want, you can install the FORWARDER WAD's corresponding to your console using YAWMM

- the contents of the main game's DATA1 folder are required in order to get the game to run

- DO NOT RENAME THE GAME DIRECTORY AS IT'S SPECIFIC TO THE SOURCE CODE

- DO NOT MOVE OR RENAME ANY OF THE FILES WITHIN THE GAME DIRECTORY THAT CAME WITH THIS RELEASE

BUG REPORTS

- please report any bugs for each game to the corresponding game by messaging me

THANKS FLY OUT TO

- The Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion Team
- The creator of "Wii7800" as i used his video code but rewrote it from C++ to native C
- The devkitPro Team

RELEASE INFO FOR WII-HEXEN II (BUILD #761)

- ADDED "CHEATS" menu
- ADDED "DEBUG" menu

This port uses directly integrated devkitpro / devkitPPC video stuff. "Hammer of Thyrion" usually provides it's own SDL video stuff but i haven't been able to get Wii's SDL port video to run with it, so i had to integrate the WIi stuff directly into this game as it does texture conversion and it just works. The Wii's SDL library port isn't that "comfortable" for games like HEXEN II and even QUAKE.

If only the question turns up: YES, IT ALSO RUNS "PORTAL OF PRAEVUS". Just place the "portals" directory inside the apps/wiihexen2/ directory and it will - USUALLY - load automatically. You then can select the original HEXEN II mission from within the "NEW GAME" menu by selecting "OLD MISSION". "NEW MISSION" will directly start "PORTAL OF PRAEVUS" instead.

Wii-HEXEN II uses 32MB of HEAP as a freshly "Hammer of Thyrion" compiled binary on a PC does exactly that as well. It is even recommended by the "PORTAL OF PRAEVUS" system specs - same goes for the video surface cache which i raised from 1075K up to 1485K. These two changes made precaching faster and even switching between the maps was improved by that.

I had to disable access to the "MULTIPLAYER" menu as it won't run for the Wii's purposes and i didn't even take a look at it.

P.S.: It would be BEST to update your existing HEXEN II game data to the latest version before running it using this port.

DOWNLOAD UPDATED AS OF MAR. 05ND 2020
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6zr60vf0fxv47zr/WIIHEXEN2.zip/file
Holy guacamole, DUDE. You're on fire! :gun:

You're basically single-handedly making the Wii and Wii U the ultimate Classic FPSs consoles! :grog:

Yet another incredible FPS game to enjoy on my PVM / CRT. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up releasing an Ion Fury or Blood port, lol.

Cheers for this release.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, Blood would make my own dreams come true but the source code was never released.

ATARI is still holding it either back or they lost the code. If i had it, i would definitely go for a port to the Wii. But this will most likely never happen.

...and i don't want to port kind of a REMAKE created by others - like "NBlood", "BloodGDX" or "Transfusion". I want the original code.

Last edited by nitr8,

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
REGARDING OGG MUSIC PLAYBACK:

Wii-HEXEN II supports the playback of external OGG music if you provide them as described by the creators of "Hammer of Thyrion".

First, you MUST reencode them for use with the Wii by using FFMPEG with the following command (example):

ffmpeg -i track02.mp3 -acodec libvorbis -ar 32000 track02.ogg

FFMPEG can be downloaded here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/ffmpeg

32000Hz is the standard format for the Wii and it's hardware-specific!

After that, rename the files as described below and place them within the main game data's subdirectory "music", which means:

apps/wiihexen2/data1/music :
-------------
track02 -> casa1
track03 -> casa2
track04 -> casa3
track05 -> casa4
track06 -> egyp1
track07 -> egyp2
track08 -> egyp3
track09 -> meso1
track10 -> meso2
track11 -> meso3
track12 -> roma1
track13 -> roma2
track14 -> roma3
track15 -> casb1
track16 -> casb2
track17 -> casb3

apps/wiihexen2/portals/music :
---------------
track02 -> tulku7
track03 -> tulku1
track04 -> tulku4
track05 -> tulku2
track06 -> tulku9
track07 -> tulku10
track08 -> tulku6
track09 -> tulku5
track10 -> tulku8
track11 -> tulku3
(track12 won't match to anything, leave as is)

- HEXEN II music goes into apps/wiihexen2/data1/music
- PORTAL OF PRAEVUS music goes into apps/wiihexen2/portals/music

Don't forget to rename the files according to their map names. For me it worked fine in the end. Finally CD music as well.

Within the game, switch "MUSIC TYPE" within the "OPTIONS" menu to "ALL CODECS". This should enable it.

Last edited by nitr8,

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hexen 2 and Portal of Praevus are working amazingly well! I'll try converting the music.
I configured inputs on the classic controller. Is it possible to map the mouse look to the right stick?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
...and i don't want to port kind of a REMAKE created by others - like "NBlood", "BloodGDX" or "Transfusion". I want the original code.
I totally understand. It's up to you to determine your coding challenges! As long as you learn from it and it is satisfactory, it's worth it.

I don't know much about open source engines other than the most popular (like Doom), but from a quick google search i saw that some of them are Blake Stone/Wolfenstein 3D, Quake 1 - 2 - 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, and one called Exhumed which i only saw in videos before, but never played it.

BTW, any way to manually resize the menu texts in this port? I really struggled when remapping the controls :lol:

Last edited by niuus,

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BTW, any way to manually resize the menu texts in this port? I really struggled when remapping the controls :lol:

The text sizes are fixed and the menu is originally that way. I experienced some similar issue when trying to use some options and thought about an option to disable the menu background "tint" but i didn't find the "switch" to it as of yet.

Reactions: Tarmfot

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The text sizes are fixed and the menu is originally that way. I experienced some similar issue when trying to use some options and thought about an option to disable the menu background "tint" but i didn't find the "switch" to it as of yet.
Cool. Do you recommend updating the files using a so called "Ultimate Hexen II patch"? I only used the Unofficial 1.15 for base game and the expansion to update.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Unfortunately not. The port itself in it's formaof what it is doesn't provide switching thumb sticks.
It's unfortunate.:( It's very hard to play without a comfortable way to look around.
The closest thing I could do with control mappings was:
d-pad up-down: walk
d-pad left-right: strafe
x, b : look up / down
y, a: turn left / right
L: toggle run
R: fire
ZL, ZR; prev / next weapon
+, -: select / use item

But sacrificing all the 4 face buttons for the mouse look leaves no room for other inputs, like center view and fly.
And, while it's playable, it feels clunky playing this way. It's a pity because the game run so well on the Wii

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The screen is slightly off centered on my tv.
There's some empty space at the bottom and the top is slightly cropped (for example, I can't fully read meassages when I pick up objects)

Came up with a better control scheme which feels less clunky:
d-pad up/down: walk
d-pad left/right: turn left / right
a: attack
y: jump
x, b
: look up / down
L: strafe left
R: strafe right
- , + : select / use item

missing buttons for:
-crouch
-run
-fly

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The screen is slightly off centered on my tv.
There's some empty space at the bottom and the top is slightly cropped (for example, I can't fully read meassages when I pick up objects)

Came up with a better control scheme which feels less clunky:
d-pad up/down: walk
d-pad left/right: turn left / right
a: attack
y: jump
L: strafe left
R: strafe right
- , + : select / use item

missing buttons for:
-crouch
-run
-fly

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's unfortunate.:( It's very hard to play without a comfortable way to look around.
The closest thing I could do with control mappings was:
d-pad up-down: walk
d-pad left-right: strafe
y, a: turn left / right
L: toggle run
R: fire
+, -: select / use item

But sacrificing all the 4 face buttons for the mouse look leaves no room for other inputs, like center view and fly.
And, while it's playable, it feels clunky playing this way. It's a pity because the game run so well on the Wii

Well, i just changed some code and added an option to the game's option menu to solve thumb switching.
Not integrated into the binary linked here yet due to your report of that TV situation, which i need to check out first...

This is the reason why i said "PAL <-> NTSC" differs and im living in a PAL region. So i guess you have NTSC?! I usually port things using a PAL console but I also have a NTSC console. I cannot really say if it is going to work the way it should for you... Can only try to fix it by hooking up my NTSC console now.

Last edited by nitr8,

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Well, i just changed some code and added an option to the game's option menu to solve thumb switching.
Not integrated into the binary linked here yet due to your report of that TV situation, which i need to check out first...

This is the reason why i said "PAL <-> NTSC" differs and im living in a PAL region. So i guess you have NTSC?! I usually port things using a PAL console but I also have a NTSC console. I cannot really say if it is going to work the way it should for you... Can only try to fix it by hooking up my NTSC console now.
I'm in a PAL region too.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's only a few pixels, it won't be a big issue for me
I have similar issues in other homebrews, with a little cropped area around the image, but the picture is always centered. In hexen 2 wii I notice that the bottom part of the screen is unused.
I will post a picture tomorrow

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's only a few pixels, it won't be a big issue for me
I have similar issues in other homebrews, with a little cropped area around the image, but the picture is always centered. In hexen 2 wii I notice that the bottom part of the screen is unused.
I will post a picture tomorrow

I'm still looking into that problem as i figured out libOGC reporting back wrong region setup according to Wii resolution mode.

Before i switched from 576i to 480p, it was reporting PAL. After that switch, it would report NTSC on both - a PAL console and even a PAL TV. Now this is somewhat odd and i have to figure out several aspects as there are so many things that you need to take care of:

- VSYNC (at least when enabled, breaks framerate down massively)
- aspect ratio (only works on scale modes as it seems)
- are component cables being used...?
- which resolution (TV mode) is the Wii set to...
- libOGC allows for 528 non-scale / 576 scale modes

This will definitely take some time.

Last edited by nitr8,

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks nitr8 for looking into this.
Here's the picture of my screen. I've set my TV to 4:3 aspect ratio.
20200307_122227.jpg
Some other info that I hope may be useful to you:
I'm using an official component cable.
When switching to the component source, my TV displays at 720x480 / 60p.
My Wii is set to EDTV / HDTV (480p).

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Link updated to BUILD 1032 within the first post. Release info added as well.

Thanks nitr8 for looking into this.
Here's the picture of my screen. I've set my TV to 4:3 aspect ratio.
Some other info that I hope may be useful to you:
I'm using an official component cable.
When switching to the component source, my TV displays at 720x480 / 60p.
My Wii is set to EDTV / HDTV (480p).

It should be fixed. Try it and report back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.