Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manaphy4ever said:
thank you zektor and your team for doing this safely update 4.2 i didn't update mine to 4.2 but now i update it from your V4.2 Safe Firmware Update it's worked perfectly well well done zektor and your team hope you continue such as this great work
smile.gif

Thanks for all of the kind words. Now we'll just have to see what the next firmware brings and see if the program can be updated in the same manner....but who can foresee the future?
smile.gif
My guesstimates say it won't be a problem however
smile.gif

Babajela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thanks Dr.Clipper, that kinda sounds right, I'll try updating from the disc channel once, since I have a fresh NAND backup and see if my Wii explodes.
blink.gif
I'll post results here.

Edit: Updated through disc channel after having a nice clean zektor safe update to 4.2 and it's all peachy, everything works great, thanks once again Dr. Clipper.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good stuff, worked great.

I needed to updates because I wanted to get the new Lost Winds game and not lose my usbloader and Bootmii protection.

Thanks

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markehmus said:
You guys really should make it a habit of scrubbing your ISO's before burning

dont you mean brick blocking?
... just scrubing removes garbage data, no?

and brick blocking removes the update...

or did i really miss something?

Same difference I suppose. I personally only used disc backups for a VERY short time myself, before I realized that USB loading is just the way to go
smile.gif
Now, if I ever need to actually burn a disc (rarely), I simply extract the said game from my WBFS drive to ISO on the PC and burn. The game is already scrubbed/brick blocked when doing it this way as well.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zektor said:
Same difference I suppose. I personally only used disc backups for a VERY short time myself, before I realized that USB loading is just the way to go
smile.gif
Now, if I ever need to actually burn a disc (rarely), I simply extract the said game from my WBFS drive to ISO on the PC and burn. The game is already scrubbed/brick blocked when doing it this way as well.

oh yeah ..when i do that the whole update partition is gone...not just blocked.

thanx for clarifing, for me.

Babajela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I used to use Wiu to delete the update partition when burning backups but since starting to use USB loader it just wasn't necessary. However, ever since I updated to 3.2 and installed a bunch of cIOS, I was never ever asked to do an update through the disc channel. Luckilly, Dr. Clipper was right and as long as you do a safe update to 4.2 and then do the disc update for the proper region, it's all peachy.

HellFireXS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
betoranaldi said:
Please forgive me if this has already been addressed, I read through the 13+ posts and although I think I understand this updater I am not sure if it will do what I want.

I updated me 4.0U Wii about 1.5 months ago using http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

If I use this updater, will I have to redo any of the steps above? I have a USB loader and an external HD.

Thanks
B

As long as you update Homebrew Channel and Bootmii you wont need to redo that, Preloader would dissapear so you would have to reinstall it (v0.29 with JODI patch) if you use preloader that is. Also I didn't see any mention of using DopIOS on IOS60, if you did you would need to do it on IOS70 instead (not important, only if needed). If you use Startpatch (instead of preloader) for hacks, you will need the 4.2 version.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Hmm. It errored on me. I had ~320 blocks and it gave me ret=-1. Help?
I think that's an Internet connection problem. Either try again later or use the offline install method in zektor's sig.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Hmm. It errored on me. I had ~320 blocks and it gave me ret=-1. Help?
I think that's an Internet connection problem. Either try again later or use the offline install method in zektor's sig.

Most likely an internet connect issue. Many people have had issues the past few days connecting....or keeping a connection. Amazingly enough, I haven't heard any other "This won't work on my Wii" issues after nearly 2000 downloads
smile.gif
Again, as Dr. Clipper said, if you still have issues follow my offline guide.

lenitao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, i have already installed Waninkoko's 4.2 update (got upside down homebrew channel).
Will this install normally if i have already installed 4.2, or do i have to downgrade first and then install this "safe" version of 4.2?

please answer

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Very odd behaviour ....

I upgraded to 4.2 a few days ago via Wanin's updater and everything was fine. HBC fine, USB loader, etc, etc. Turned on the Wii just now and the HBC channel is now upside down [ yes I know why - I just don't understand why it's upside down now when it was after the update ]

Fair enough I thought I was going to restore the NAND and install this version anyway ... open bootmii to restore the NAND backup I made before upgrading but the restore section reckons the NAND is for a different Wii !!??!!

Anyone got any ideas what's going on ?

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Even stranger ... ran DOP-IOS on IOS60 (pressing the - button on the Wiimote to install as it was the only option) and it said everything was fine but ... HBC is still upside down (even after rebooting).

I also tried re-running Hackmii installer 1.05 but it claimed it can't run due to the IOSes (not) installed on the Wii. Presumably I need bannerbomb to fix this ?

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, you need to make sure that not all your ios's are patched, there need to be some official nintendo ones that hbc can use to install on.

Im intrigued by the bootmii-error though.... Hope that won't happen to me...

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
What ? So do I need to do more than just dop-ios IOS60 ?

The bootmii error is a worry and I can't think how that has changed ?

How about if I run this updater now ? Would that fix the problems ?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
AdamBrunt said:
Very odd behaviour ....

I upgraded to 4.2 a few days ago via Wanin's updater and everything was fine. HBC fine, USB loader, etc, etc. Turned on the Wii just now and the HBC channel is now upside down [ yes I know why - I just don't understand why it's upside down now when it was after the update ]

Fair enough I thought I was going to restore the NAND and install this version anyway ... open bootmii to restore the NAND backup I made before upgrading but the restore section reckons the NAND is for a different Wii !!??!!

Anyone got any ideas what's going on ?
The NAND is for a different Wii thing was a documented bug in BootMii 0.3. There is apparently a way to fix that NAND file so that it works according to the update notes.

As for your upside-down situation, push home in the HBC and check which IOS it uses to run. Remove the trucha bug from that IOS. Or you could just run the safe updater as you suggest. That should work too.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the help Dr. Clipper

So

1) I can safely run this updater on my Wii now without doing anything else ?
2) Is 0.3 the latest version of bootmii ?

UPDATE: My HBC was running on IOS61 (not 60). DOP-IOSed that and it's fine now.

Found the fix for the Bootmii bug - if anyone else is interested it can be found in Bootmii's bug report [ http://bugs.hackmii.com/index.php?do=detai...3&project=2 ]

UPDATE 2: Hmm ... the 'fix' didn't solve my Bootmii issue. But if the bug gets fixed in a later version then that isn't necessarily a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but so nice for gaming, movies.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi is old he needs Walmart PA system
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Splitter @ $39 it says. I'll consider it. Thanks
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Coupon makes it 30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001