Hacking [RELEASE] GATEWAY 4.0 BETA (Private Beta Program)

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
I only use Gateway. I want things to be simple. I'm not going to do something that potentially risky on a system that I'd have trouble finding another of. I don't have any way OTHER than Gateway. No menuhax, Cubic Ninja, or anything like that.

So how am I supposed to do that without Cubic Ninja and will I be able to update the EmuNAND like I do with Gateway? Also, how do I keep my existing EmuNAND? That's the BIGGEST problem.
You don't need cubic ninja -_- if you have a system that can use gateway you have a system that can use any cfw, why? Because you need an exploited 3ds to use gateway. If you want to keep everything use the a9lh guide that people have been using for months. You talk about not wanting to do anything risky but want to use gateways shit to get a9lh when it has already been shown to brick. All they did was steal other people's code, and even then they failed. They took something that has had safe tools for a while and butchered it to all hell and left out a key step that has been known since like day one of getting a9lh. It being a beta doesn't get them out of forgetting such an important thing.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to laugh when people think gateways tools are safer than the ones that been out for a little while now. Gateways tm is really bad @skydancer93 :/ It bricks easily because as @pbanj has said, they skips steps needed to be safer. They steal code thinking that it will be fine if they leave out things that are very important in the process.
@skydancer93 you can keep your emunand with the plailect guide... it has you do a few backups just so you dont lose anything. I suggest atleast checking it out. Just make sure you have an hour or 2 to do this.

Reactions: pbanj

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
I love from the sound of it they are trying to take the credit for a9lh. They added something to nag u on sysnand to prevent accidental updates....... That's not a problem with any other cfw/a9lh set up. So they couldn't even get the sysnand mode working, I guess blocking firm0/1 was too much for them.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I love from the sound of it they are trying to take the credit for a9lh. They added something to nag u on sysnand to prevent accidental updates....... That's not a problem with any other cfw/a9lh set up. So they couldn't even get the sysnand mode working, I guess blocking firm0/1 was too much for them.
Gateway FAST BOOT METHOD (aka a9lh)

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A user on Reddit says they were able to install 'GATEWAY FAST BOOT Method' on their N3DS succesfully, Time Machine downgrade and all. Gateway is still in beta, therefor its tools will be hacky, so even if you'd like to install just Gateway, I'd recommend that you wait for the official release.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Every version of Gateway before 4.0 protects FIRM0/1. They removed it this time so users don't brick while downgrading to 2.1, etc. The decent news is, you can do cartridge updates while in Gateway sysNAND mode, as well as sysUpdater stuff, so people with 8.1J 3DSes can use their beta to update and install A9LH with Plail's guide ;)

Last edited by CreAtor135,

vonfnas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for being late to the armloader9hax-Party!
What even is the armloader9hax? Not just for GW. but in general. What does it do?

My O3DS and N3DS have been collection dust the last few months, so I'm totally out of the loop.

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being late to the armloader9hax-Party!
What even is the armloader9hax? Not just for GW. but in general. What does it do?

My O3DS and N3DS have been collection dust the last few months, so I'm totally out of the loop.
It's an exploit that gets installed to the band of the 3ds. It runs at boot before anything on the system has loaded. It loads a payload(norm cfw) off the sd card. It has a 100% boot rate, some added brick protection, the use of sysnand(u don't have to use an emunand), I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

vonfnas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's an exploit that gets installed to the band of the 3ds. It runs at boot before anything on the system has loaded. It loads a payload(norm cfw) off the sd card. It has a 100% boot rate, some added brick protection, the use of sysnand(u don't have to use an emunand), I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.
WOW! That's awesome!!!
So no more use for emunand? Does it work with the latest OFW?

Could any one direct me to a reliable tutorial/guide on how to set it up? :)

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW! That's awesome!!!
So no more use for emunand? Does it work with the latest OFW?

Could any one direct me to a reliable tutorial/guide on how to set it up? :)
If you mean can you install it from the latest OFW, then no. But if you mean can you use it in conjunction with the latest OFW, yes. The latter meaning that after you've installed A9LH, you can get rid of your emuNAND, and update your sysNAND to the latest. Considering you've got a CFW with FIRM0/1 protection, of course. Anyways, https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki <there's the guide :)

Last edited by CreAtor135,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to mention, I've updated my Boot Manager Mega Configs now. They include files for making Cakes and ReiNAND the default now, just for added flexibility. So, if you would like a Luma configuration that runs it all, or would like to try another boot manager, but don't feel like setting it all up yourself, look no further. These all run GW by default (except the Luma one obviously), but you can use the alternate .ini and .cfg files to change it to whatever you want (Arm9Select doesn't use configuration files, so, I've actually included 4 folders now -- I might as well, I'm using 7zip, so it's not like they take much extra space in the archive).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

ttr13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a question, on part 5 of the A9LH setup, would you be able to use a backup of your own Gateway Emunand or do you have to use your Rednand emunand backup?

just wondering for experimental purposes.

Last edited by ttr13,

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been way out of the loop homebrew-wise, and wanted to find what benefit A9LH has since I know next to nothing about it. Anyway, I came across this Reddit thread. Apparently, dumping a console's OTP takes hours, yet it looks like Gateway's method doesn't even mention having to do anything like this. So did Gateway come up with a new method that isn't as slow, or are their instructions just really vague on details?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I've been way out of the loop homebrew-wise, and wanted to find what benefit A9LH has since I know next to nothing about it. Anyway, I came across this Reddit thread. Apparently, dumping a console's OTP takes hours, yet it looks like Gateway's method doesn't even mention having to do anything like this. So did Gateway come up with a new method that isn't as slow, or are their instructions just really vague on details?
The second one. Also, it used to take hours, but if you already have CFW it typically takes about an hour to an hour and a half.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
word of advice. Dont use gateways tm... just use the plailect guide and install a9lh then use gateways payload. Way safer

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The second one. Also, it used to take hours, but if you already have CFW it typically takes about an hour to an hour and a half.
Yeah I don't have any kind of CFW. I've just always used GW's red card to boot into emuNAND any play .3ds ROMs and eShop games I've actually bought.

word of advice. Dont use gateways tm... just use the plailect guide and install a9lh then use gateways payload. Way safer
The only thing that really interests me is cold boot into emuNAND, but Plailect's guide looks way too long and complicated. Maybe I'll bite the bullet one day when I'm feeling more patient or hopefully there'll be a much easier way to install it by the time I get the motivation to go through with it lol

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I don't have any kind of CFW. I've just always used GW's red card to boot into emuNAND any play .3ds ROMs and eShop games I've actually bought.

The only thing that really interests me is cold boot into emuNAND, but Plailect's guide looks way too long and complicated. Maybe I'll bite the bullet one day when I'm feeling more patient or hopefully there'll be a much easier way to install it by the time I get the motivation to go through with it lol
Technically, you are using Gateway's CFW when you do that.

Anyways, the guide is only long because it does it's best to cover every possible scenario, from people who are on fresh//new systems, to people who already have CFW setup (menuhax+rednand//emunand) - As well, as having a lot of safety nets so you don't brick.

Anyways, Gateway's TM will probably only ever support GW-A9LH, and that means you'll be locked down to GW only. GW's method also doesn't take the same level of safety precautions as Plailect's guide does, so the chances of bricking go up, that's not to say some people haven't used it and come out unharmed, but hey, if you want to take the risk, go for it!

But anyways, I would never recommend you setup GW-A9LH, as it does not come with the same benefits as traditional A9LH offers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...