ROM Hack [Release] Basic Monster Hunter Stories Save Editor

Jesus10101

lord and savior
Trophies
XP
Country
I compiled the source for on my windows/ubuntu environment and it worked. Not sure if I used the right Visual C++ compiler since I don't have VS installed anyways. (BASH FOR WINDOWS!!)

If the editor does not work for you , try compiling the source code yourself (just use the website).

C binary is not as portable. Should've written in JAVA :P.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The binary is compiled for x86-64. I think there are some compatibility issues between 32 bits/ 64 bits. It works fine on my machine. If not try compiling the source yourself since I didn't look into how well VC++ handles cross-platform stuff.

Interesting. I guess I didn't compile it correctly :P. It works without problems on my machine.
Maybe try that linux version with bash for windows.

I'm rewriting that in JAVA should be done shortly....
Looking forward to it. When i have time, i can try and fork the japanese editor form github and translate it. And when we understand the save format better, release updates like editing monsters and whatnot. I really wonder how this will affect the online side of Stories since you would be playing against other players, something that has never happened in a monster hunter game before.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking forward to it. When i have time, i can try and fork the japanese editor form github and translate it. And when we understand the save format better, release updates like editing monsters and whatnot. I really wonder how this will affect the online side of Stories since you would be playing against other players, something that has never happened in a monster hunter game before.
I see it the same as with Pokemon. If what's made is within the bounds of the game, I personally have no objection. It just saves the player time they might not otherwise have.

Just my spin on it, I know some firmly believe such things are difficult to get and as such should be worked for.

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see it the same as with Pokemon. If what's made is within the bounds of the game, I personally have no objection. It just saves the player time they might not otherwise have.
Just my spin on it, I know some firmly believe such things are difficult to get and as such should be worked for.

Java editor updated, tested and up...

This game's battle system is not as good as pokemon's imo. It's too simple (which eventually gets boring since the variation/typing between different monsters are not reflected well enough) and ..... I don't know.. it does not punish/reward you much for choosing the right type. Imo strategies/typing in pokemon could give players huge advantages. But in this game, levels and grinding are more important, especially against NPCs...

Checked that github page. Seems like they already figured out some item ids. (http://pastebin.com/3bCmGenW) including ids on the Chinese forum or (on https://github.com/KIRAcc/mhst in itemlist.js) Will investigate later for player-related stuff.

Last edited by secXsQuared,

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also found some useful stuff.
It's a Chinese threading discussing egg and monster skills/ability editing.
Might come in handy:

http://bbs.duowan.com/thread-45113379-1-1.html

They can already edit # of skill slots, egg shell collections, Dinovaldo Egg and stuff.
Definitely worth checking out.

Jesus10101

lord and savior
Trophies
XP
Country
Also found some useful stuff.
It's a Chinese threading discussing egg and monster skills/ability editing.
Might come in handy:

http://bbs.duowan.com/thread-45113379-1-1.html
Dont speak chinese so it will be an interesting read.

I have also translated the japanese web editor for now. The item list needs updating and better translations but ill save that for a later date.
Link to translated editor : https://jesus10101.github.io/mhst/

EDIT : It seems like they are also talking about the egg fragment feature and editing the weight of the egg. It doesnt seem to affect the egg itself so changing the weight seems pointless. Sadly it seems like they are also having trouble with editing the stats of the monsters but its good that they seem to have edited in the DLC Monsters.

Last edited by Jesus10101,

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dont speak chinese so it will be an interesting read.

I have also translated the japanese web editor for now. The item list needs updating and better translations but ill save that for a later date.
Link to translated editor : https://jesus10101.github.io/mhst/

EDIT : It seems like they are also talking about the egg fragment feature and editing the weight of the egg. It doesnt seem to affect the egg itself so changing the weight seems pointless. Sadly it seems like they are also having trouble with editing the stats of the monsters but its good that they seem to have edited in the DLC Monsters.

About monster skill slots

Figured out that those 9 skill slots have offset 0x424 w.r.t. every monster.
Each slot is an unsigned int 32. The order is from left to right then up to bottom in game.

Each monster has 0x478. The offset of each monster can be determined by searching for the name as mentioned earlier.

[SAV 01 00 00 00] -> uint32 00 00 00 01 = empty slot (can inherit skills)
[SAV 02 00 00 00] -> uint32 00 00 00 02 = no slot
from 03 onward are fixed skills of monsters.
[SAV 03 00 00 00] is apenoth.
04 is popo.
06 is yian kut ku.
07 blue yian kut ku.
08 gypceros.
09 purple gypceros ......
13 red khezu
AD (one of the three attacks) up small
50 Dark Resisitant
4A Paralysis resistant

and so on and so forth......... and a lot of work required...

EDIT:
Not all values end with 00. The 4th byte of the skill slot sometimes have mysterious 0x0F or 0x68... not sure what those mean. And by now, the only monster I've seen with those values is the DLC(egg fragment hack) dinovaldo.

Yeah at least 9 slot monsters are now open to edit. Now sure about all the id-skill mappings.

EDIT2:
Most of the monster skill's ids are here:
http://pastebin.com/14ggwzVV

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About egg fragments:
The Chinese thread mentioned that:
1. the first fragment is at 0x9790
2. each fragment is 12 bytes
offset size
0x0 1 Species - 01是草食种(grass-eating wyvern???),02是鸟龙种(bird wyvern),03是飞龙种(flying wyvern),04是牙兽种(),05是兽龙种(brute wyvern),06是牙龙种,07是鱼龙种(fish wyvern),08是海龙种,0B是铗角种,0D是两生种,0E是古龙种 (Elder dragon),还有09的甲壳种0A的甲虫种和0C的兽人种不用理会
0x1 1 Position in game - 00 upper left corner; 01 upper middle, 02 upper right corner, 03 middle left .......
0x2 1 New flag - whether it shows "new" in game
0x3 1 Rarity - 0 normal; 1 rare - more skill slots after hatching.
0x4 1 color - 00 red 01 green 02 blue
0x5 1 DLC bit - 04 is someone's horse; 05 is a bear; 06 is Dinovaldo
0x6 1 Unknown
0x7 1 if 0x6 is not 00, then it must be 68
0x8 4 Must be 00

A few notes:
1. DLC monsters don't have fixed stats.
2. there is a sort of bingo system. If egg fragments on the same horizontal/vertical/diagonal line are of the same color ,then the stat is increased. Red bingo +1 attack. Blue bingo +1 def. Green bingo +3 health. The max # of bingoes, for obvious reasons, is 8 which takes place when all 9 fragments have the same color.

EDIT:
Also got my Rare7 MHX dinovaldo egg working.
Just overwrite from 0x9790 to 0x97FB (9*12=108=0x6C bytes) with:
Code:
08 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 01 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 02 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 04 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 05 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 06 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 07 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 08 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00

In the game, find the egg cat and combine the hacked fragments. You should get an egg with MHX on it. It hatches a dinovaldo. To change that thing to 9 slots/ridiculous HP/Attack. See above..

Jesus10101

lord and savior
Trophies
XP
Country
About egg fragments:
The Chinese thread mentioned that:
1. the first fragment is at 0x9790
2. each fragment is 12 bytes
offset size
0x0 1 Species - 01是草食种(grass-eating wyvern???),02是鸟龙种(bird wyvern),03是飞龙种(flying wyvern),04是牙兽种(),05是兽龙种(brute wyvern),06是牙龙种,07是鱼龙种(fish wyvern),08是海龙种,0B是铗角种,0D是两生种,0E是古龙种 (Elder dragon),还有09的甲壳种0A的甲虫种和0C的兽人种不用理会
0x1 1 Position in game - 00 upper left corner; 01 upper middle, 02 upper right corner, 03 middle left .......
0x2 1 New flag - whether it shows "new" in game
0x3 1 Rarity - 0 normal; 1 rare - more skill slots after hatching.
0x4 1 color - 00 red 01 green 02 blue
0x5 1 DLC bit - 04 is someone's horse; 05 is a bear; 06 is Dinovaldo
0x6 1 Unknown
0x7 1 if 0x6 is not 00, then it must be 68
0x8 4 Must be 00

A few notes:
1. DLC monsters don't have fixed stats.
2. there is a sort of bingo system. If egg fragments on the same horizontal/vertical/diagonal line are of the same color ,then the stat is increased. Red bingo +1 attack. Blue bingo +1 def. Green bingo +3 health. The max # of bingoes, for obvious reasons, is 8 which takes place when all 9 fragments have the same color.

Will keep this thread updated according to the Chinese thread/experiments.

The Chinese thread also mentioned something about the eggs stolen from the nests. Will try to translate tomorrow.
I see, i have to mess around with skill slots which could take alot of time. It seems like the horse is the Legend of Zelda's Epona. The Bear is the Mascot of Tokyo. Good work man, you got alot more information then i did. Its getting late here so i take a look at this tomorrow. On a final note, the guy who made the japanese web editor seems like he has figured out the monster editing and we might get a update soon. It has not even been a week since MHST has been released and already so much progress has been made.

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About monster attack/defense/HP "IV"s
Every monster in MHST has different stats, they were determined by values somewhat similar to pokemon. I'll call them IVs. IVs are different from the stat boost medicine in game. No matter what the IVs are, each monster can consume at most 10 medicines.
I don't know the exact algorithm yet, however:
The HP IV is at offset 0xD8
Atk IV is 0xD9
Defense IV is 0xDA

I set all three of those to 0xFF and I was able to get my black diablos lv99 (hacked already) to 9 skill slots with a ridiculous 1706 attack + 999 HP... I tried saving and reloading, battling, putting back to box(Not sure about leveling up, didn't test since it's lv99)... and it does not change... So yeah... this game's severely broken already by this point.

However, the defense decreased by 3 even though the defense value was 0xFF. Not sure exactly how those values cooperate with each other.

EDIT:
Tried on my lv1 dinovaldo. After battle and lvl up, the HP and the Defense didn't seem to be affected. However its attack bumped up to 2600+. I'm pretty lost right now. Not sure about the limit of IVs and the algorithm..

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
Every monster in MHST has different stats, they were determined by values somewhat similar to pokemon. I'll call them IVs. IVs are different from the stat boost medicine in game. No matter what the IVs are, each monster can consume at most 10 medicines.
Atk IV is 0xD9
Defense IV is 0xDA

I set all three of those to 0xFF and I was able to get my black diablos lv99 (hacked already) to 9 skill slots with a ridiculous 1706 attack + 999 HP... I tried saving and reloading, battling, putting back to box(Not sure about leveling up, didn't test since it's lv99)... and it does not change... So yeah... this game's severely broken already by this point.

However, the defense decreased by 3 even though the defense value was 0xFF. Not sure exactly how those values cooperate with each other.

EDIT:
Tried on my lv1 dinovaldo. After battle and lvl up, the HP and the Defense didn't seem to be affected. However its attack bumped up to 2600+. I'm pretty lost right now. Not sure about the limit of IVs and the algorithm..
If I posted my save could you edit my monster levels to 80 with good attack and hack the dinovaldo into it for me? I can't do it as I have to access to a computer.

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I posted my save could you edit my monster levels to 80 with good attack and hack the dinovaldo into it for me? I can't do it as I have to access to a computer.
I don't know the exp required for lv80. Lv99 is possible. Yes I can hack you a dinovaldo. However it's getting late here. PM me with your save I'll take a look tomorrow.

iDropOut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Atk IV is 0xD9
Defense IV is 0xDA

EDIT:
can you teach me how to set those three things.
i can't set it to 0xFF

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gave you an dinovaldo. Just talk to the cat and finish the egg fragments.

can you teach me how to set those three things.
i can't set it to 0xFF
I'm not quite sure about how exactly those values work yet. Still testing stuff. I won't recommend people actually modifying those YET. Just stay patient and I think we can have a conclusion by this weekend.

Attachments

• mhr_game0.sav~.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 266

have_full

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use JK's save manager,
but always get stuck at yellow screen
i have updated mmap but still get stuck on yellow screen
what plugin u guys use for export the save data?

Crussade666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I use JK's save manager,
If your 3DS CFW Try savedatafiller, i hope work for you coz i dont have any problem with that app. Sorry my english bad

mana_ran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use JK's save manager,
I got the same problem, but JK helped me solved it.
1. Before loading JK save editor, instead of putting in MHS cartridge, use another cartridge that you know works without getting stuck (monster hunter 4 u, mhgen, etc).
2. Press A to load the save editor with the working cartridge, then IMMEDIATELY hold L+R while the save manager load
3. The above should take you to a different CIA* menu of the save manager. If done right, the top option should say 'Cartridge'
4. Pull out your working cartridge and put in Monster Hunter Stories, then select Cartridge on the menu and press A
5. It should take you to the usual menu where you can import/export save data

*Quoting JK, the CIA access works even if you're using 3dsx version, not just CIA version of the program

Did any of you used the web editor? Was it buggy or did it run fine?

Last edited by mana_ran,

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Erm, this will only build Windows binaries. It's also pseudo-bash. If you're going to compile that way you'd be better off with a Linux box.

Ew.

Bash for windows (by Microsoft on Windows 10 Anniversary Update) is not anything like MinGW or Cygwin. It's a windows subsystem with Ubuntu 14.04 image. You can use all ubuntu stuff including apt-get install. It's like a virtual machine but afaik it's not exactly. Since it uses the gcc ubuntu distribution, the compiled file is ELF unless specified otherwise and runs fine on other linux systems too (tested).

Agree with you on Java. But not as bad as C++. (Lung cancer as to lung)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P