ReiNX toolkit released

IMG_1067.PNG

ReiNX developer @Reisyukaku has released a new toolkit for their Nintendo Switch CFW. This toolkit allows for updating an installation of ReiNX custom firmware from within the toolkit, a first for any existing CFW. As far as features go, users will be able to dump their NAND, Cal0, Boot0, and Boot1 through this, as well as a built in AutoRCM toggle option. A major inclusion is that of a Splash.bin converter, which supports .png, .bmp, and .jpeg. You can grab the toolkit from the source below and check it out for yourself.

:download: Source
:discuss: Discussion Thread

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I understand that much, and I'm not knocking it (although I am curious about it being 'faster' than Hekate's dumping; with a lack of source code there's no way to know if it's just because it's skipping out on integrity checks, etc.). I'm just saying that it's certainly less useful for a user doing their initial NAND dump - both because there's a possibility of logs in your NAND that you've been using RCM or booting CFW since you have to boot into Horizon to access it, and because of the apparent possibility of corrupting the SD card while using it.

tldr: Because it's faster because it has full access to the CPU unlike hekate and the system verifies it as I understand it

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's toxic to say that a backup without restore is useless? So every homebrew/cfw/tool that is released has to be praised? Meh
You have multiple tools to do a restore so I really don't get what you're trying to say. Ofcourse you can't do a restore when booted in to horizon. How the fuck can you overwrite something that you're using at that moment. Use your brain, not meant in a bad way

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You have multiple tools to do a restore so I really don't get what you're trying to say.
If this backup can also be restored by Hekate, then it's perfect cause of bigger speed; if we have to wait for a restore by Rei, right now it's useless. And btw you cannot just claim everyone is toxic if someone points out a thing. Bitching about tx in their threads is toxicity

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If this backup can also be restored by Hekate, then it's perfect cause of bigger speed; if we have to wait for a restore by Rei, right now it's useless. And btw you cannot just claim everyone is toxic if someone points out a thing. Bitching about tx in their threads is toxicity
No it's not. This has the function to do a backup while booted up in horizon. Ofcourse you can't do a restore through that because ur booted up in horizon. It's like ey i'm gonna install windows while i'm using windows. It doesn't work that way. Stop with the complaining and be a bit more respectful and happy that devs are doing the work for FREE for you and everybody else. If you want to complain then do it yourself please instead of always being entitled to everything and spreading a toxic message

Last edited by kumikochan,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

yea it can be restored from hekate

Reactions: crissal

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No it's not. This has the function to do a backup while booted up in horizon. Ofcourse you can't do a restore through that because ur booted up in horizon. It's like ey i'm gonna install windows while i'm using windows. It doesn't work that way. Stop with the complaining and be a bit more respectful and happy that devs are doing the work for FREE for you and everybody else. If you want to complain then do it yourself please instead of always being entitled to everything and spreading a toxic message
I mean that another tool was necessary. Why so angry? Btw I respect Rei work and use ReiNX as cfw and hekate for backup/restore and autorcm, but I have the right to tell that something is not good IMO. You are the toxic here.

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean that another tool was necessary. ... I have the right to tell that something is not good IMO.

Dude, it literally is not possible to restore NAND while the device is running. If it was possible to do so, it would be incredibly easy to implement. I worked hard to make sure that the dumps this tool created were possible to be restored using hekate because I know that's the most used tool available right now. Hell, you can even mount the combined file it outputs in hacdiscmount, split the dump into various partitions and restore it that way as well. I've probably done close to 100 full nand dumps testing this damn thing. lol.

As for saying something isn't good, you should also add constructive criticism. Don't just say it sucks, say "it sucks but you can make it better by doing XYZ." Otherwise you just sound like someone who wants to complain about it. So, tell me crissal, what would you like to see added to it?

Last edited by Crusatyr,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I mean that another tool was necessary. Why so angry? Btw I respect Rei work and use ReiNX as cfw and hekate for backup/restore and autorcm, but I have the right to tell that something is not good IMO. You are the toxic here.
i'm not but if you aren't then so be it. All the better then

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Dude, it literally is not possible to restore NAND while the device is running. If it was possible to do so, it would be incredibly easy to implement. I worked hard to make sure that the dumps this tool created were possible to be restored using hekate because I know that's the most used tool available right now. Hell, you can even mount the combined file it outputs in hacdiscmount, split the dump into various partitions and restore it that way as well. I've probably done close to 100 full nand dumps testing this damn thing. lol.

As for saying something isn't good, you should also add constructive criticism. Don't just say it sucks, say "it sucks but you can make it better by doing XYZ." Otherwise you just sound like someone who wants to complain about it. So, tell me crissal, what would you like to see added to it?
No I explained bad, restoring while in Horizon is impossible, you have to write while booting the OS, but I didn't know that this backup made in toolkit could be restored by any other solution, like Hekate (as @Adran_Marit stated before), so it was my fault.
Btw you're right about the "it sucks" part, but I thought you had to wait until Rei released another tool (or maybe put a bootloader inside ReiNX) for restoring purpose, so the toolkit as is was useless; like the way it is, however, I think that's pretty useful
i'm not but if you aren't then so be it. All the better then
Peace man, we misunderstood each other

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I guess they tested restoration too.
But, making a NAND backup while in CFW ... would restore the info you used cfw ?
I still feel safer to do a NAND backup before using any softmod on the console to restore it to a clean state later.
at least, the first time. It's always good to be able to do additional backup with the toolbox while using the console over the months.
Your clean dump should be done with Hekate.

Use this to make backups so when you download brickware and install it, your saves and installed games aren't gone too.

Reactions: Cyan

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you guys should decide what you want. More homebrew on portal or not?
if there's no homebrew release on portal, people are whining that only SX OS is advertised, if we put homebrew on portal you are still not happy.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm a SXOS user myself, but I fully support seeing this kind of post on the front page. I want to see the big picture and know what's going on in the homebrew/CFW scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Inb4 complaints about heart burn