Hacking Recently purchased PS3...

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently purchased a PS3 and haven't updated yet. I am on OFW 3.42 and would like to upgrade to 3.55 and not to 3.56. I would only like to do this if there are no options for the firmeware i am on. I can concede the fact that i may also need to wait for an option lol.

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Interesting question. I'm buying a PS3 too somewhere along the road, but I'm waiting for someone to write a comprehensive softmodding guide (like the sticky topics for the other consoles).

Be patient, it'll be here somewhere along the line.
smile.gif

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, from OFW 3.42 you have the ability to update to OFW 3.55 and continue onto a CFW 3.55 from there (Waninkoko, kmeaw, or geohot.) Each have their pros and cons, but all of them have a chance of bricking your console... some more than others *COUGH* Waninkoko *COUGH*. You also have the option of updating to OFW 3.56, but you've already stated that you have no desire to do so; smart move.

Did you purchase a pre-owned PS3? I'm curious because of the fact that you are currently on OFW 3.42. To the best of my knowledge, PS3s have been shipping with 3.40 for quite some time and only recently started shipping with 3.50. I only mention this because if your console shipped with 3.40, you can also downgrade from 3.42 to 3.41 with a jailbreak device and then use said jailbreak device like back in the good ol' days (Sept. '10?... man, where does the time go?) Downgrading a console that shipped with 3.50 is NOT recommended as it will more than likely brick your console. Once on OFW 3.41 you also have the option of updating to kakaroto's MFW 3.41. Hope this helps.

epistaxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, kmeaw cfw + latest multi-man backup manager = perfection right now. Can't get any easier. No patching, everything just works.

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input folks. Its a PS3 Slim, 320 gig, and it came with OFW 3.42 brand new. I will use kmeaw with multiman once i figure a way to upgrade to 3.55 and not 3.56, seems like the way to go. I hear Waninkoko is up to building 'brick' houses on a new hacking scene once again.

DaMummy said:

I can't read, problem solved. Thanks for the DaLink DaMummy. Sorry i know it was lame.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
Red Ire Lap said:
I hear Waninkoko is up to building 'brick' houses on a new hacking scene once again.
Have there been any reports of bricks with the Wanin V2 CFW? Any at all?

Less misinformation plox.

Obviously referring to the first wanin cfw.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Nobody knows. They haven't started yet, and so long as hackers aren't actively chasing over Sony in the cat-n-mouse game, they probably won't.

CFW or PSN. It seems like Sony are happy in keeping that distinct choice clear for its users. That could change at any day though (or not at all).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol