Reasons why RPGs frustrate you

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
^ Dusk, cut the spoiler. I haven't gotten that far yet, I didn't even know that happened.
It's not a spoiler. I meant that if he, and only him were to get killed in battle, but everyone else survives the attack, it instantly game overs me. Didn't talk about anything in the story.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nujui said:
machomuu said:
^ Dusk, cut the spoiler. I haven't gotten that far yet, I didn't even know that happened.
It's not a spoiler. I meant that if he, and only him were to get killed in battle, but everyone else survives the attack, it instantly game overs me. Didn't talk about anything in the story.
Oh, well I've been hearing some things and...nevermind.

Yes, that pisses me off as well. I always hated that, especially in the Persona games.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nujui said:
What frustrates me in RPGs, for example, MegaTen, if the MC where to get killed off, but no one else, game over. Pisses me off when I'm the only one who dies and yet everyone else lives.

Just fixed it for you also I agree. Give me a chance to revive MC FFS.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, yes I should put that instead
tongue.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
Nujui said:
What frustrates me in RPGs, for example, MegaTen, if the MC where to get killed off, but no one else, game over. Pisses me off when I'm the only one who dies and yet everyone else lives.

Wait...that holds true for all of them? Ugh...I guess I won't be expecting P5 to be different, then...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
machomuu said:
emigre said:
Nujui said:

Wait...that holds true for all of them? Ugh...I guess I won't be expecting P5 to be different, then...

Devil Survivor
Strange Journey
Lucifer's Call

MC dies, game over. I imagine SMT 1 and 2 do that as well but I can't remember for those two. Though in Persona and Persona 2, it doesn't happen. You need the whole party to die to get a game over.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
emigre said:
machomuu said:
emigre said:
Nujui said:

Devil Survivor
Strange Journey
Lucifer's Call

MC dies, game over. I imagine SMT 1 and 2 do that as well but I can't remember for those two. Though in Persona and Persona 2, it doesn't happen. You need the whole party to die to get a game over.

Uh, what?
The main character can die in Devil Survivor.
For most every fight, anyway.

I assume Beldr was one of the few fights he wasn't allowed to die in, for obvious reasons.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Sora de Eclaune said:
Thread title.

Here are my reasons (None are related unless specified):
1) You forget to save for a few hours and end up dying, which takes you backwards nearly a whole three dungeons.Golden rule of all RPGs is, save often! This happen to frequently that i really have to agree, though i never failed to forget saving when i could.
2) Second playthroughs are too easy because of the bonuses you get with New Game + and because you know the whole game at that point. Try Demons Souls or the coming Dark Souls on PS3. The game gets harder for each ng+ and it keeps getting harder and harder for each ng+ and the fact that the game is REALLY unforgiving. You really lose all your exp if u die there lol. And the fact that every single mob in the game starts to one hit you after NG++
3) Random battles often become tedious and boring. Depends on the game. Final Fantasy XIII is one of them. Dragon Age:O? Nah. Demons Souls? Nah. Dragon Quest? If i dont intend to grind or finish side quest, then YES. Lets just say i agree with a few exceptions.
4) If it's voiced, it probably has bad English voice actors.True true true.
5) Often times, the story is very stereotypical and not compelling enough to make you want to finish the game.I always finish my games! I just postpone them for like 1-5 years lol.
6) Number 1 happens and all of the cutscenes you've already seen aren't able to be skipped.Thats old-school only!
7) All the RPGs you want to play are Japan-only.Most of them, though the most popular franchise gets translated, or almost always gets translated. But if they really did do that, then i wont have any time for other activites so im glad they dont xD Though i really hate them for not doing it xD
8) Number 7 happens and the RPG is for a region-locked console.......I haz PS3!!! XBOX360 SUCKERS!
9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience.Which game o.o? I heard of them doing a "sequel" to a game that has no relation to the game expect the tittle having the number 2 in it.
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG.Wut? Which one? Never happend here.

xtreme1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play RPG's, especially JRPG's, more than any other genre & I've got to say a lot of times the battle system is just a rehashed FF battle system or just loses its spark VERRRRRY quickly.... also the many of the generic stories dont help...

I feel like Tales of games do the best at keeping the gameplay fresh, with fun characters, though they do sometimes suffer from weak bits of story or a weak main character. With a battle system this fun though it doesnt ever stop me though...

I think Tales of games have the best fan base as well... look at how many translation projects have been completed & are ongoing for those titles not localized. Great games that represent the JRPG name well.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Luck.
Any battle that is heavily luck based... or even things like instant death spells that rely on luck that you're enemies keep spamming... and they seemingly always work against you >_

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as my experience playing RPG's. I have to say my highest petpeeve is wandering into fields and fighting monsters that are too over-powered. (I'm looking at you FF2)

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkStriker said:
Sora de Eclaune said:
9) The game is a sequel to a Japan-only game nobody in the US has heard of, and incorporates things from the previous game that aren't explained for the US audience.Which game o.o? I heard of them doing a "sequel" to a game that has no relation to the game expect the tittle having the number 2 in it.
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG.Wut? Which one? Never happend here.

I know of only two instances. Star Ocean for the SNES which wasn't released outside of Japan. The second game, Star Ocean: The Second Story, was released outside of Japan. There is a lot of relation to the first game. The Starfy games, as well, which the one that was localized doesn't really give much explanation as to who Starfy and his friends are.

Which one? Lufia 2 is just an example. But that's all I know of.

QUOTE(deathking @ Oct 3 2011, 08:11 PM)
when enemys level with you , you cant do damage unless your at a high level or low level enemys dont give exp
Or all of that at once.

I vaguely remember a game I used to play where the enemies leveled with you, but you had to be a very high level to beat them, so grinding with these higher-leveled enemies wasn't an option. However, grinding with lower-level enemies wasn't an option, either, because they gave under 9 EXP per fight and you require hundreds and hundreds of EXP to level up, which would cause you to require hours of grinding I was never really wanting to do.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sora de Eclaune said:
10) The game is a remake of another game, and changes the game from an RPG to an Action-RPG.

FF Crisis Core, baby!

QUOTE(BortzANATOR @ Oct 4 2011, 02:23 AM) Your main character can destroy worlds
A locked door stops everything.

But that door is made of wood. Really hard wood!
biggrin.gif

++) An RPG lets you get that far, just for you to see you must have character/skill X in the group to proceed at one point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol