Misc R4 DS online?

malerik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that if nintendo detects you playing online with a pirated rom then they can blacklist your ds and prevent you from using the wi-fi service.

But everyone here seems to be using it ok, so whats the deal?

Can I load animal crossing onto my R4 and go town-hopping? Is starfox online a possibility?

Or should I just buy the games I want to play online and R4 the rest?

Help me out forum people! I am confused!

If it helps, I am in the UK.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I can play my games online through the R4 but i can't seem to get the Opera Browser to connect to any sites...says something along the lines of cannot connect to remote server.

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's debated if Nintendo even has the capabilities of doing so.

Even if the capabilities do exist, it probably wouldn't be a cost effective measure.

If they don't have a way to ban cheaters, they won't ban pirates.

malerik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for clearing that up guys. Online poker whilst at work here I come! (and the rest)
laugh.gif
yaynds.gif

malerik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
clubhouse games/42 all time classics has online all sorts of nonsense.
and i'm pretty sure if you know about the flashcarts then nintendo does too.

KKDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo had their best finacial year ever, last year. Rolling in cash.
Doubt it is significant to them. Hurts game developers who write
terrible crap since thousands can try it out before they purchase
and warn others about it via forums etc. Lots of parents in N.A. and
Europe would never have the time to learn to use flashcarts
for their younger kids (more $ than time). NintendoWiFi is also a cash
cow, why posion the waters? New version of NDS may require newer
flashcarts later this year but they are very cheap so not a problem,
you could easily sell your existing NDS+R4 to a friend or on ebay.
Your time to load the SW and games is worth something to someone!
Its all good! - Ken

NDS+R4 is a big advantage for WiFi/internet animal crossing. Use PC
to make a backup of your AC-WW.sav before, even on same
microSD under slightly different name. This way if someone trashes
your (or your kid's) town you can revert to backup quickly. Also use
AC map editor to make your town popular, i.e. add bell trees, or just
jack your (or kids) savings account up several million bells!
Why not cheat all the way for the more boring repediative parts of
this game? Fun part is creating stuff not collecting money/bells etc.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does Nintendo know about these flashcards? I'm just wondering.

I'm sure Nintendo is very aware of flashcarts but doesn't consider their use a large enough problem to invest in measures to fight them. It would probably only give them bad press with the people who promote them and would also create an awareness in the general public that they don't want. People with Flash carts are some of Nintendo's biggest fans and best purchasers of their products including commercial games.

In short they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they addressed this aggressively.

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can play my games online through the R4 but i can't seem to get the Opera Browser to connect to any sites...says something along the lines of cannot connect to remote server.

did you install the slot 2 flash cart hack? and what slot 2 flash cart are you uisng, to use opera browswer you need it, it is made to read ram from a slot 2 device, the real opera browser even comes with a gba ram cart, so thats why if you dont have a slot 2 flash cart plugged in and the hack to make it read the ram from a slot 2 flash cart thats why.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to avoid homework, so this is an interesting thing to read about.

I think Nintendo did try to prevent flash carts from working when they updated their firmware so many times. Am I right?

Anyway, they are aware of it, no doubt. They are probably watching closely, but at the number of people coming to this site... not the underground releases that are coming out. This place is bustling with people, discussions about DS. Nintendo already assured third parties with RSA security, and it was circumvented a while back. I don't think theres a way to make new security measures without breaking the carts that are already out, although that is a wild wild guess. So most likely they are stuck in that situation... yes?

Well, how about this 'factoid'... ~12% of the Japanese population owns a DS as of this moment. In that autonomous state alone, how many people are actually getting their homebrew on? And out of all the homebrew scene, how many are downloading roms in a swash-bucklin'-pirate kind of way? yarrrr! ... I'm not sure, but I can say at the end it should be a small number.

There's too much money surrounding Nintendo to be annoyed by homebrew/yarrrr. Maybe they'll start being hard-asses in a couple of years, when things start to slow down... only then maybe will I start getting nervous.

andrew505

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for anyone wondering, games work fine with the nintendo USB wifi connector. It's just other apps, that have trouble doing it. But im using a nintendo USB connector and gettting online on games no prob.

D

Deleted User

Just get a wireless router. They're so cheap noawadays anyway. And it's useful if you have a notebook or multiple computers.

And if you don't have multiple computers or a notebook ... back to point number 1 ... they're cheap.
tongue.gif

snazzypants

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am sure a very very small percentage of DS owners are pirates...certainly small enough that it wouldn't be economical for Nintendo to take serious legal action.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: