Hardware [Question] Safety of USB-C Passthrough Cables?

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
So, I've heard about not all USB-C cables being the same and how some third-party type C accessories can potentially cause permanent damage to the Nintendo Switch. However I was wondering if USB-C passthrough/extension cables carry the same risk?

I'm looking at a cable like this:
B832C1B6-5562-4EF5-8EF2-423E7716FC47.jpeg

It's a USB-C male-to-female extension cable that the seller specifically states is "compatible with Nintendo Switch", but presumably they mean that it works with charging cables.

I was wondering if it's safe to use this to connect a Switch to a dock, since docked mode uses a higher voltage/current setting than most USB-C connections.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, I've heard about not all USB-C cables being the same and how some third-party type C accessories can potentially cause permanent damage to the Nintendo Switch. However I was wondering if USB-C passthrough/extension cables carry the same risk?

I'm looking at a cable like this:
View attachment 107934
It's a USB-C male-to-female extension cable that the seller specifically states is "compatible with Nintendo Switch", but presumably they mean that it works with charging cables.

I was wondering if it's safe to use this to connect a Switch to a dock, since docked mode uses a higher voltage/current setting than most USB-C connections.
I think the worst that can happen with that is it simply won't work.

Reactions: NekoMichi

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
However I was wondering if USB-C passthrough/extension cables carry the same risk?
It's very hard to get an extension cord wrong - don't know about the failure mode of that dock or the design quality of the Switch, but the worst a correctly wired but junk cable* can do is not work

* as opposed to those "charging" cables that gave negative press to USB-C, which instead of just connecting some or all wires to the other side, include hardware to spoof the other device as a high performance charger

Reactions: NekoMichi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-