Homebrew Question reguarding Homebrew gcn iso file use.

Flamesofshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not quite sure which forum this belongs in because there are two which it could belong to but this one seems most likely as it involves homebrew mainly, if it belongs in the other one (backups loaders) i can move it there if its possible.

my question is if i get GCN ISO files (on a DVD-R disk, or just as iso without a disk), is there a program i can use on homebrew which can play the gamecube game iso files/discs properly? i have nintendont but I'm not sure it functions properly, and I'm not sure if it works for discs if i made one with the single or multiple ISOS on it, also would a basic store bought DVD-R work for such a thing?

i have a "multigame iso creator" which if it actually does what its supposed to could help limit my dvd-r wasting by putting multiple ISO on one disc, but id need to actually be able to use them still

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
IRRC the wii can't read burned discs
you will have to load them via usb, or dump your official copies to ya hdd

reason being the optical drive itself (it regects the disc)
not sure if i am mistaken tough...

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
IRRC the wii can't read burned discs
you will have to load them via usb, or dump your official copies to ya hdd

reason being the optical drive itself (it regects the disc)
not sure if i am mistaken tough...
The Wii can read burned discs as long as it's a compatible drive revision model.
Old Wiis with Gamecube ports is almost guaranteed to work.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The Wii can read burned discs as long as it's a compatible drive revision model.
Old Wiis with Gamecube ports is almost guaranteed to work.
i remember reading only real early units, like almost the same time the boot2 was patched

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
i remember reading only real early units, like almost the same time the boot2 was patched
Not wo early, but they're quite old indeed.
They're pretty easy to find too, they were the models produced in the biggest amounts before 2008, where hacks came along and forced Nintendo to make hardware revisions to prevent any of this (Inviolable drives and Boot2, specifically).

Flamesofshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i have two wiis, a black one with no gc support, and a white one i recently acquired from a person who moved which does have gc compatibility (the one i intend to use for said purpose), from the research i did, i saw some people say it was possible but it had to be a specific type of dvd disc, but they didnt really elaborate on how you would even get it to read them in the first place as backups tend not to play nice with any kind of system as the disks are somehow special, and my nintendon't is or was causing me grief trying to get it working originally when i got hombrew going as it just didnt want to boot, i tested earlier and it opened but mainly listed USB/sd which was the method i expected is most likely to work.

i have no issue putting the ISO on USB/SD i just wondered if discs could work as its a great way to store things when you havent got large capacity sd and usb drives.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Discs work. If you have the model with a drive compatible with softmod, any DVD-R should work. They aren't recommended though.
USB storage has become hella cheap, and it's way more relliable on the long run.

Flamesofshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as a side question which also applies to this one, does the same method work with wii ISo, but possibly a different app than nintendont or would nintendont also work for WII iso files as well?

i got a couple busted games i really wanna get working, gotta get iso versions for now, but all information i can find on getting wii iso to play mention i need a program called WBFS manager, which i feel it really shouldnt need for regular ISO files (every other program iso can run without tons of extra stuff), i assume there may be an app if it isnt nintendont, that does the same thing but for wii iso.

if i would require such a program as WBFS, it would be nice to know why, as the information is generally vague, just mentioning that USB would need to be formatted for some reason

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
as a side question which also applies to this one, does the same method work with wii ISo, but possibly a different app than nintendont or would nintendont also work for WII iso files as well?
Certainly. Any moder loaders like USB Loader GX and Wiiflow will be able to let you run Wii games off USB devices. Nintendont can even be combined to them, so you would be able to select the Gamecube games from the loader, and it will automatically switch to Nintendont.
i got a couple busted games i really wanna get working, gotta get iso versions for now, but all information i can find on getting wii iso to play mention i need a program called WBFS manager, which i feel it really shouldnt need for regular ISO files (every other program iso can run without tons of extra stuff), i assume there may be an app if it isnt nintendont, that does the same thing but for wii iso.

if i would require such a program as WBFS, it would be nice to know why, as the information is generally vague, just mentioning that USB would need to be formatted for some reason
You would need the Wii games in either .iso or .wbfs format. The latter is the most popular, since it scrubs all the useless space from your games, so you will be able to have plenty of them into your USB drive.
WBFS manager is a outdated method that formats your drive into a special file system for the Wii, which is no longer required since loaders support FAT32 and NTFS perfectly fine.
My personal recommendation if you intend to load Wii and Gamecube games off the same device is to simply rely on a FAT32 USB drive.

Flamesofshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first, you might be a ninja, or a magic stalker vin as you are instantly on this post which takes some skill, magic, or stalking.

also if im getting it as you stated, the wbfs type if i find those still work fine for whichever usb loading method i choose, just the same as an ISO version but WBFS is just generally cleaner?
also how would i go about combining the usb loader gx/wiiflow with nintendont? (im not the most technical at hacking/modding systems plus it may be janky if i have to deal with changing coding or something as my sd card which contains everything cant work in my pc [pc slots are old and worn] and doing it through usb then putting it on sd would be annoying), i can keep them seperate, but if thyey can be combined thats just much more steamlined

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
first, you might be a ninja, or a magic stalker vin as you are instantly on this post which takes some skill, magic, or stalking.
Hahaha nah, I only happened to see the post in the new content.

also if im getting it as you stated, the wbfs type if i find those still work fine for whichever usb loading method i choose, just the same as an ISO version but WBFS is just generally cleaner?
also how would i go about combining the usb loader gx/wiiflow with nintendont? (im not the most technical at hacking/modding systems plus it may be janky if i have to deal with changing coding or something as my sd card which contains everything cant work in my pc [pc slots are old and worn] and doing it through usb then putting it on sd would be annoying), i can keep them seperate, but if thyey can be combined thats just much more steamlined
Yeah. For Wii games, the .wbfs format will be perfect for USB loading without much hassles. Gamecube games must be in .iso format however. Those can be compressed with some tools but it isn't recommended as they thend to break games.

It's relatively simple to have all in one.
Firstly you may hack your Wii if it isn't done already, then install a loader (I recommend USBLoader GX).
Once you get them, you also need to install Nintendont. You can then associate it to USB Loader GX in the settings.
Finally, you get all your games in your USB drive, which may be formated to FAT32 for the optimal compatibility.

There are plenty of tutorials around, and if you need help, feel free to contact me.

Flamesofshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah interesting, im going to look into this magic and make my stuff work, if tutorials fail i shall come find you with magic detector, because im still going to assume magic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land