Hacking [Q] Best flashcart for GBA SP/Micro in 2018 ?

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, they might stumble upon an hitherto unknown cache of 8Gbit EZ3s that the owners are willing to let go for next to nothing..

Ah, didn't realize they got that big actually. Largest carts I remembered where in the 1Gbit/2Gbit range before they switched to SD for everything. I can only imagine how ungodly expensive 8Gbit of on-board NAND was at the time.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Smaller capacity, if found this in a drawer....
upload_2019-7-15_14-24-35.png

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the great replies! So i'm basically at get an Everdrive and deal with it sticking out, which is the best option for battery life and general operation, or an EZ Flash Omega which DOES sit flush, is also drag and drop & good, but is a bit worse on the battery.

Seems like the Omega is harder to get a legit version of too. Got some thinking to do, thanks.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize this topic is getting a bit long in the tooth but I myself was considering the flash cart for a GB Micro I have or buying a pocket go, which is about $35. USD at the time of this writing. I have 56 original games and 2 translated ones; Binding Blade and Mother 3. I tried buying a Mother 3 cart to play on it and was assured it would play on anything that played GBA games, but to my chagrin, it did not play on the GB Micro but DID play on my GBA SP ( & DS Lite). I tried it on my friends micro with the same result. A few phone calls to a knowledgeable Nintendo (referred) tech got me an answer I didn't expect.

The GB Micro handles memory differently than the GBA SP. Remember, the Micro does not play GB/C games either. It is not simply because it doesn't fit either. SO, some Ebay sold reflashed cards won't work on it. I'm not certain if those are reflashed chips or aftermarket ones. There is something (I forgot their exact explanation, maybe they used less internal memory, considering the smaller form factor) about the manner in which the memory is handled, in the system, before it is actually run that is slightly different. I never mentioned to N that I was having trouble running an aftermarket Flashed GBA Cart.

Maybe it [that specific setup/chip/cart] required more memory than the system [MIcro] could offer for use? I've long forgotten... I always intended on posting a vid on this but I don't have a PC camera and really what's the purpose, who really cared besides me.

I know this seems off topic but I just watched a VID where the cart reacted diff. on his GBA SP than his MIcro, which reminded my of that problem.

Reactions: zfreeman and xaxa

xaxa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been monitoring this thread over the course of its lifetime because I had similar questions. Thank you for sharing your experience because this is one I could never get a solid yes or no on, and the explanation (from the Big N themselves!) is truly invaluable.

D

Deleted-236924

If this still interests anyone, Everdrive GBA X5 redesign that's regular-sized should be coming any time soon now... probably won't be any cheaper though, so the Omega is still the way to go for those who would rather not pay a premium.

Reactions: xaxa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto