Gaming PSP Won't Read UMD game?

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a used Psp as a gift, with one game, it worked for like two days, but now all of a sudden when I put the game in the slot and close it, nothing happens. It doesnt show up in the "game" menu, I dont hear it spinning or anything. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks...

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry Teej, what do you mean by where it came from? It belonged to a friend of mine, it's old, not sure where he got it, but he basically sent it to me for free. But it did work for like two days, which is what's weird. I am trying to see if I can get my hands on another game so I can see if maybe if its the game. Do you think it's possible that it's the game? I was thinking that if it were the game, then the psp would at least spin and try to load it, right? That makes me think it must be the psp
frown.gif

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
solange82200 said:
I'm sorry Teej, what do you mean by where it came from? It belonged to a friend of mine, it's old, not sure where he got it, but he basically sent it to me for free. But it did work for like two days, which is what's weird. I am trying to see if I can get my hands on another game so I can see if maybe if its the game. Do you think it's possible that it's the game? I was thinking that if it were the game, then the psp would at least spin and try to load it, right? That makes me think it must be the psp
frown.gif

It's possible it could be the game, but it's weird that it wouldn't spin at all. Also, I meant like where it came from as in, did it come from a shop, ebay, friend, etc, but you've answered that question
tongue.gif
I'd also try a UMD Movie, too. I know some PS2s can read some PS2 games and not DVDs (and visa versa) before the laser completely goes, so the same might be true for the PSP.

Arsic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brand new PSPs may have some sort of plastic to prevent damage to the UMD laser. If it has never worked before since it was bought, try checking there. You can peel it off.

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys for all your help. Im thinking what I may do is just mod it and play backups off a memory stick? Without the laser I can still do that right?

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
solange82200 said:
Thanks guys for all your help. Im thinking what I may do is just mod it and play backups off a memory stick? Without the laser I can still do that right?

Well unless you're going to illegally download all the games, you still need the UMD drive to rip the games in the first place
wink.gif

But if you are, then yeah, no problem.

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if I buy the game, and download it from online, at least technically it won't be "wrong". I know that it's still against the law, but crap, I dont think I have much choice at this point.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If I remember rightly, America is one of the places where you can legally download a game off the internet (ROM, ISO, etc) so long as you own the original game in the first place. If you don't own it, then the law dictates (because that's what laws do, dictate) that you have to erase any downloaded games within 24 hours, allowing you to have a "preview" before you buy. Even so, most people on the PSP scene just get CFW and download games anyway, not just because they hate Sony but because they like the concept of portable games that actually look half decent (compared to DS).

In the UK though, the law seems to omit the area of downloaded material (or so I'm told from someone who studies it).

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Bclowe, i actually ended up buying a new slim psp because of this (the original is a phat), but I might try to see if I can fix up the old one so I can sell it. I'll take a look at these links, thanks!

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To tell you the truth, I have had a PSP for several months now, and I have never inserted a UMD into it. Just mod it, put CFW on it, and download all your games. If you have trouble playing a game, go into the recovery menu, by holding R when you turn on your PSP, and change the UMD driver from M33 to SonyNP. There is really no need to ever use UMDs if you have a modded PSP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1