Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i got my PSAT results back, I did pretty bad. I got a combined 162. I have a 4.1 GPA and I usually do good on tests and consider myself part of the top of my class. However this test score contradicts my thinking and my own high school grades. My girlfriend who is like a genius, got a 203. She'll probably get the scholarship provided.

I know I shouldn't be mad but I keep hearing these scores and they're always so much better than mine. I don't want to be mad at her or anyone else because its my fault, no one else's. I guess I just dislike hearing lectures on how they did better & why. I somehow think that they say that because they think they're so much better than me but I know those aren't their intentions; my brain is just wired a weird way. I know the content but I just suck at test taking under time constraints.

I personally knew I needed help in vocabulary but that's not something someone could teach me. I'm good at math and someone could always teach that curriculum but you can't teach what they test on in English.

Anyone else have they share of bad test scores, and maybe how they got better? I'm open to suggestions; I bought the official SAT Study Guide from B&N.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Me? Bad scores?

Who the hell do you think I am!?

But yeah, grades mean nothing, especially in lower grades like High School. An idiot could ace a course through coursework alone - the only time that you get bad grades are when you don't show up or don't do homework.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well if you're worried about the PSAT it's not really worth anything. If you're going to college, SAT's are based on if you know how to take a test. You might want to take the ACT. It's actually based on if you know stuff.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
With standardized tests like the SAT, that are made to test your knowledge thus far in school, I don't study at all. Since they are there to test you on what you should know. If I know it, cool. If I don't, well I should probably have paid more attention. Needless to say, such tests never really reflected how "smart" I am. So don't stress it.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I got a 187 (66R, 64M, 57W) with 26 missed or omitted questions and no studying... (not trying to rub it in) I think I took the Wednesday test, and I'm a sophomore (I didn't take it freshman year, my two friends I mention later did though)

I asked 2 of my friends what they got, one got 150ish with 49 wrong (I figured he'd be lower than me but not that much) and another said he got 50 wrong so I'm assuming that's a close score to my first friend (I expected him to get near me or better than me, because he's probably gonna be valedictorian...)

My biggest problem was the writing skills section. It was ridiculous! This is pretty much one of the questions:
Which is better "Before leaving for the winter break, congress approved an act to protect the forests" or "Congress approved an act to protect the forests before leaving for winter break" I mean WTF is the difference? Nothing other than the order!?

TBH, I was kinda conflicted "yay i did better than my friends" but also "hey i didn't really do that good though".

Next PSAT I'm going to actually study and stuff, I hope I get a 200+.

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
She probably won't be able to get the merit scholarship, I think you need like a 21X to get it. And I wouldn't worry about your score, it doesn't reflect your intelligence at all, just how well you do under pressure/test taking skills. It's a shame how much weight schools put on your SAT, and the fact that the low income kids can't afford tutors makes the whole thing skewed. I personally got a significantly higher score on the actual SAT when I first took it compared to my PSAT score. I took the SAT twice(waste of a perfectly good Saturday!) and got the same score twice; I regret not putting more effort into studying the second time, but what's done is done.

@myuusmeow: I agree about the writing section. It was always my worst section. The essay sucks too. I can't write an essay in 25 minutes; I always put a lot of thought into what I write but you simply can't during the SAT.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@myuusmeow: I don't see anything wrong with those choices and English is my first language. If it was missing a comma or something then maybe it would be wrong, but the grammar is fine.

Definitely studying for the SAT. My writing skills are pretty good but 25 minutes doesn't give you shit. I'm in AP US History and I get 90% on my historical essays on average but even then, you get more time.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't take the PSAT, but I did take the SAT a month ago to qualify for a special summer 'nerd camp' that really isn't a 'nerd camp' at all. I got a score of 410 for Verbal/Critical Reading and 490 for Math. I'm a middle schooler.

I passed one of the requirements to be eligible, which was good enough for me, but when I heard of my other friends' test scores, I was somewhat pissed and mad at myself for doing such a poor job and getting such a low score out of all of my friends. It somewhat annoys me that I got the lowest score out of all of my best friends.

I don't have a talent for Math, nor do I have a talent for Vocabulary/Verbal/Critical Reading, so I'm striving to learn more than is required for my current grade level. In fact, I've learned many things that my friends don't know how to do, such as coding for DS cheats, a little bit of hacking, and some other things that I've learned all from GBAtemp.

I'm kinda like you, except that you're older and smarter.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The PSAT was interesting. I had to take it Sophomore year (last year). Now, I'm not a dumb guy. I've had straight A's in school since I started receiving letter grades back in 7th grade. I have few issues understanding new coursework, and anything I have issues with, I understand within the week perfectly. My brain works well under pressure generally, yet, the PSAT came along.

I hadn't practiced or anything of the like. I also answered everything when I knew I shouldn't. There were some questions I truly had no idea on, couldn't even eliminate answers, and I still picked an answer. The old, better to pick one than none trick doesn't work so well there. Also, I guess I'm bad at taking tests under pressure. Was a good lesson that I need to learn to test that way before taking my SAT.

I only got about 150 or 160 myself. Got a 51 in Critical Reading, 54 in Writing, 62 or something like that in math. Not sure what all the categories were anymore, but I ended up in that range that I mentioned. I still did better than 90% something of the other Sophomores that took it (according to my results sheet).

Don't worry about it though. The PSAT doesn't matter. If you plan on going to college/university/what ever, do take the SAT though and practice for it. Don't be surprised if you have to take it two or three times to really get the score you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol