PS5 USB Hack Videos Surface

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Console-hacker "TeRex777" on youtube is sharing videos of his successes with the USB Exploit on PS5, managing to play his legally-owned disc-based games without the disc being inserted.
He uploaded multiple videos testing his discoveries, this is the first of those:

very interesting

Slumnugget

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Issue with usb os5 games is it bottlenecks the game play. Stuttering and frame rate drops for high scenes aswell as loading. Gddr5/6 vs 7500 rpm. Not really a hack it's a bottleneck way to save money on a ssd

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issue with usb os5 games is it bottlenecks the game play. Stuttering and frame rate drops for high scenes aswell as loading. Gddr5/6 vs 7500 rpm. Not really a hack it's a bottleneck way to save money on a ssd
You are misunderstanding what is going on here (or at least what is claimed). The isn't about playing legitimate digital games from a usb drive, the usb is a entry point for an exploit that allows the user to boot "backup copies" of his/her games (read: enables piracy).

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the usb is a entry point for an exploit that allows the user to boot "backup copies" of his/her games (read: enables piracy).
According to the first post, it wasn't a backup copy of the game. It just didn't require the disc to be inserted when playing,

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the first post, it wasn't a backup copy of the game. It just didn't require the disc to be inserted when playing,
That's what a backup copy is. If have a game that I installed from a disc and I can play that game with out the disc, I can then lend my friend that disc so that he can also play the game. My friend would have the original game (disc) and I would have a backup copy. Is there a distinction that I'm missing?

Reactions: sith

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's what a backup copy is. If have a game that I installed from a disc and I can play that game with out the disc, I can then lend my friend that disc so that he can also play the game. My friend would have the original game (disc) and I would have a backup copy. Is there a distinction that I'm missing?
Nah. People just use backups to refer to pirated games a lot on here.
Your definition is correct.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, an installed copy of a game is not a backup.

The definition is: a copy of a file or other item of data made in case the original is lost or damaged.

For example, if you made a copy of the original disc.

Nah. People just use backups to refer to pirated games a lot on here.
Your definition is correct.
I disagree, you haven't backed anything up when you installed the original game or ran it without the disc present.

Even if you didn't pirate it.

Reactions: CoolMe

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The PS5 does not actually read files from the disc anymore after installation.
If it no longer requires the data on the disc to run the game and can be made to play the game, without issue, without the disc.... the data on the HDD would be a "copy of the original disc" aka a "backup"?

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, an installed copy of a game is not a backup.

The definition is: a copy of a file or other item of data made in case the original is lost or damaged.

For example, if you made a copy of the original disc.

I disagree, you haven't backed anything up when you installed the original game or ran it without the disc present.

Even if you didn't pirate it.
Everytime you post i am amazed that you can get even dumber. By your own definition, it is a backup, if he lost or distroyed his original disc he would still be able to play his "backup" data that is installed on the HDD.

if he "backed up" his phone would it not be a backup because he didn't clone it to another phone?

when people convert physical carts to xci or install it as an Nsp's to their switch is it not a backup because its not on a cartridge?

Last edited by sith,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everytime you post i am amazed that you can get even dumber. By your own definition, it is a backup, if he lost or distroyed his original disc he would still be able to play his "backup" data that is installed on the HDD.

if he "backed up" his phone would it not be a backup because he didn't clone it to another phone?

when people convert physical carts to xci or install it as an Nsp's to their switch is it not a backup because its not on a cartridge?

The installed game is not a backup by my definition, "a copy of a file or other item of data made in case the original is lost or damaged.". I guess you like building strawmen. The installed game is to speed up data access, not in case the original is lost or damaged. If the original is lost or damaged and you need to reinstall the game, then you don't have a backup.

If you backup your phone and can't restore it to another phone, then it's a pretty shitty backup.

Making a copy of a cartridge onto your sd card so that you can install the game on a different switch, is a backup.

Please, keep demonstrating your cluelessness.

would be a "copy of the original disc" aka a "backup"?
The installed copy is not equivalent to the original disc as you can't use it to install on another PS5.

If you can ftp the files off your PS5 and put them onto a new PS5 and run them with this method, then that would be a backup in case the original disc was damaged.

Last edited by smf,

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can ftp the files off your PS5 and put them onto a new PS5 and run them with this method, then that would be a backup in case the original disc was damaged.

bahahahahaha... so it becomes a backup once you can ftp it, well there is an ftp program by Sistr0 for exploited ps5s that can do exactly that, and why is it different if the data came off the disc or via ftp to two ps5s that can both play the game without the original disc??

your definitions are so very ridged, maybe you should wait til this exploit gets released before you nitpick, because it seems very reasonable that this would enable distribution of isos/data that the console would see as an installed disc and be run with this usb method.

$0.02 edit: moot-point because this "exploit" is probably all bullshit and fakery.

Last edited by sith,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bahahahahaha... so it becomes a backup once you can ftp it, well there is an ftp program by Sistr0 for exploited ps5s that can do exactly that, and why is it different if the data came off the disc or via ftp to two ps5s that can both play the game without the original disc??

your definitions are so very ridged, maybe you should wait til this exploit gets released before you nitpick, because it seems very reasonable that this would enable distribution of isos/data that the console would see as an installed disc and be run with this usb method.

$0.02 edit: moot-point because this "exploit" is probably all bullshit and fakery.
To be honest his definition does hold up. Chances are if this is real, and he deleted the game off the ps5 and tried to play it without the disc it would not work and would need the disc to reinstall it. Therefor this would be what I would call a crippled copy and not a true backup. If a way was figured out how to actually install and play it without the original disc then it may classify as a proper backup.

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest his definition does hold up. Chances are if this is real, and he deleted the game off the ps5 and tried to play it without the disc it would not work and would need the disc to reinstall it. Therefor this would be what I would call a crippled copy and not a true backup. If a way was figured out how to actually install and play it without the original disc then it may classify as a proper backup.
wow.. just wow.. if he deletes the game and doesn't have the disc inserted, i can GUARANTEE you, he CAN'T play it, cause there is no game data anywhere, lol.

think for a second.. you can ftp the installed files off the ps5 to a pc and if he breaks the disc he just ftps the files back to ps5... then uses this fake usb launch method.. but its not a backup??

when tons of xbox and xbox 360 and even ps5 game discs were dumped and 0day distributed before a public method of launching those backups existed.. were those not backups, but "crippled copys?" then when a launch method goes public they become "backups"?

a 1:1 copy of the data is a backup.

Last edited by sith,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro