karatefeet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
I have a ps5 with no output. The hdmi port looks perfect so thought it would be the retimer chip but there are no shorts on any of the caps around it. I did find 2 of the filters between the port and retimer chip to be shorted. Would that be enough to cause the no display issue? Can I bypass them for testing purposes?

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes shorted filted will cause no video. It is also possible the that the system will boot with a bad encoder that shows no shorts. I have fixed consoles that boot to white led but no video output because of bad encoder.

Last edited by Johnny_debt,
Reactions: karatefeet

karatefeet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes shorted filted will cause no video. It is also possible the that the system will boot with a bad encoder that shows no shorts. I have fixed consoles that boot to white led but no video output because of bad encoder.
Just wanted to thank you for replying. It was exactly this... bad encoder. I took off the shorted filters and the short was still present which confirmed the ic was bad. Finally successfully replaced it last night and was so happy when I got an image on the tv. First time working on a PS5, been mostly fixing Switches. Had to really crank up the heat and air flow to get the sucker off.

Last edited by karatefeet,
Reactions: BigOnYa and KiiWii

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to thank you for replying. It was exactly this... bad encoder. I took off the shorted filters and the short was still present which confirmed the ic was bad. Finally successfully replaced it last night and was so happy when I got an image on the tv. First time working on a PS5, been mostly fixing Switches. Had to really crank up the heat and air flow to get the sucker off.

When you say shorted, did you mean they were short to ground? If so then it's going to be the encoder since the filters themselves don't have a ground connection. The filters are continuous for each line. Glad you got it worked out. Yeah encoders are big chip and bottom pad is a giant heatsink so definitely need a ton of heat. QFNs this size are difficult but gets easier with experience.

Jehmyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone.
The picture on the TV keeps flashing after the PS5 was dropped and the HDMI connector replaced. There are times when it is normal for 3 to 5 seconds, after which it flashes again. Any suggestions?

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.
The picture on the TV keeps flashing after the PS5 was dropped and the HDMI connector replaced. There are times when it is normal for 3 to 5 seconds, after which it flashes again. Any suggestions?
Did you get the hdmi port swapped by a shop? If so take it back there. Sounds like not a great connection on the port to board.

Reactions: Jehmyson

Jehmyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I replaced it myself, I
Did you get the hdmi port swapped by a shop? If so take it back there. Sounds like not a great connection on the port to board.

I replaced it myself, I have some experience in soldering small components, so I didn't have much difficulty soldering the connector
20231021_163925_HDR.jpg

20231021_163924_HDR.jpg

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced it myself, I

I replaced it myself, I have some experience in soldering small components, so I didn't have much difficulty soldering the connector
View attachment 406779

View attachment 406778

The 100nf capacitor looks askew, take meter and get diode readings on all 19 pins, red probe on ground and let me know what your readings are. Also have you check all the pins are solidly connected by trying to move them with tweezers? Lastly try looking inside the new port, if there is flux, clean it out with a toothbrush and ipa.

Jehmyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 100nf capacitor looks askew, take meter and get diode readings on all 19 pins, red probe on ground and let me know what your readings are. Also have you check all the pins are solidly connected by trying to move them with tweezers? Lastly try looking inside the new port, if there is flux, clean it out with a toothbrush and ipa.
Tnks! All pins are solidify and tested. No flux residues, everything cleaned with isopropanol, however, I tested all lines and the only one that made a difference was line 18, with 0.738 where it should be with 0.542. I don't know why.

Attachments

• Diferença.png
    Diferença.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 31

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tnks! All pins are solidify and tested. No flux residues, everything cleaned with isopropanol, however, I tested all lines and the only one that made a difference was line 18, with 0.738 where it should be with 0.542. I don't know why.
Your 5v current limiter IC is blown. You need to replace it with a TPS2553DDBVR. This IC regulates 5v on pin 18. You may have a chip with diff marking because sony just sources the cheapest IC available, but you can change it with a new TPS2553DDBVR. It's readily available on digikey. If you're not sure which IC it is, it's the 6 legged IC behind the hdmi circuit.

Jehmyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Your 5v current limiter IC is blown. You need to replace it with a TPS2553DDBVR. This IC regulates 5v on pin 18. You may have a chip with diff marking because sony just sources the cheapest IC available, but you can change it with a new TPS2553DDBVR. It's readily available on digikey. If you're not sure which IC it is, it's the 6 legged IC behind the hdmi circuit.
Thanks for the tip, I'll replace it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary