Ps5 Detachable Disk Drive Photos

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I found some actual photos of the new detachable-drive Ps5 in the hands of some lucky consumer.
Photos and links attached below.
Added a video link of a teardown, still using LiquidMetal btw.

F9yef8xWsAAJBrq.jpg
F9yegqLW0AAO2-d.jpg
F9yehD2XkAAWDB2.jpg
20231101_022221.jpg
F9yehfgXsAA2MWz.jpg

Last edited by HellGhast,

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Looks terrible.

PS3 slim level terrible.
Yeah the disk-drive hump is not an elegant solution, but I love the whole detachable drive concept.

Personally I think the new digital version is sexy...but then again I think the entire Ps5 design concept is super sexy, both the original and this redesign.

If these new Ps5's ever get a massive discount to say below $400 I'll definitely snag one.
Post automatically merged:

Rear comparison view of old and new Ps5 showing significantly reduced exhaust vents in the new version which hopefully heralds a new more power efficient Apu die.

4nm maybe? Or $ony steals a March on x-bot by releasing a 3nm die vs Micro$oft's rumored and laughable 6nm,
20231101_065703.jpg
laughable coz 1200 series Ps5 already have 6nm.

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Cfi-12xx and ps5 slim have same 6nm cpu?
Cfi-1200 series are suspected to have 6nm apu.

With the slim $ony have hopefully improved to a 5nm or better still 4nm, 3nm ala Apple's upcoming M3 is fantasy on my part.
Btw Apple are infringing on BMW's awesome M3 aren't they, if the roles were reversed Apple would have sued pronto.

Karoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I found some actual photos of the new detachable-drive Ps5 in the hands of some lucky consumer.
Photos and links attached below.
lol, lucky consumer. I don't know if I would call that person lucky. The thing is still big and even uglier than his big brother. I have no clue what Sony is thinking with these releases.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are the symbols on the back to help you find the right port, almost like braille? I can't see that stopping people messing up their hdmi or usb ports if that's the goal but you never know.

Might be useful for the visually impared, unless it's just a weird design choice that you're never gonna see once you set it up.

Reactions: HellGhast

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Are the symbols on the back to help you find the right port, almost like braille? I can't see that stopping people messing up their hdmi or usb ports if that's the goal but you never know.

Might be useful for the visually impared, unless it's just a weird design choice that you're never gonna see once you set it up.

I think you're right, must be to help visually impared people.

Btw I never understand how or why some people need to constantly keep plugging in & unplugging their consoles. Mine is practically plugged in once & it never moves again ever save for occasional dusting.

Very observant on your part btw coz I never noticed those symbols.

lol, lucky consumer. I don't know if I would call that person lucky. The thing is still big and even uglier than his big brother. I have no clue what Sony is thinking with these releases.
I on the other hand absolutely love the Ps5's aesthetics, design concept and it's white-black color scheme.

Love that they kept the concept for this redesign although the disk-drive bulge is awkward, but it still looks better than series-X.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just hate that they went glossy for the top panels, I thought they learned by now when they took the glossy hdd bay off the ps4 phat and made the whole console matte (made it look so much better that way too)

I get some people might like glossy, but I don't like to see finger goop on plastic thanks, and you know they're gonna made coloured panels, including black which will all have the same glossy top pieces. (then they'll sue when someone makes third party matte ones lol)

The online activation for the disc drive does worry me though, guessing they have updateable firmware on the drive to fix/prevent any future bd-j exploits. Otherwise it would just be plug and play like when you need to replace any ps4 slim/pro disc drive (since the chip for those is on the console mobo).

I can't see them using it to marry the drive to the console permanently, that'll piss a lot of people off, like say a ps5 disc edition dies but you wanna save money replacing it and buy the digital edition since you already have a disc drive you 'should' be able to just pop off the dead console and into the new one.

Last edited by Rasa39,

Adam512

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
what does sony think? of course it's just for the money. smaller dimensions so more devices fit on the pallet and thus cheaper shipping and not only that.. they didn't put much effort into it (because more work costs more money).. Sony knows that people will buy it anyway.

-------

Cfi-1200 series are suspected to have 6nm apu.

With the slim $ony have hopefully improved to a 5nm or better still 4nm, 3nm ala Apple's upcoming M3 is fantasy on my part.
Btw Apple are infringing on BMW's awesome M3 aren't they, if the roles were reversed Apple would have sued pronto.
5nm or 4nm would be nice, but definitely not going to happen with Sony... see previous text. Even with the PS5 Pro, they will probably keep the outdated Zen2
which will only be slightly overclocked to save money because they don't want to design anything new (and therefore demanding on money) :lol:

i heard that sony switched from 7nm to 6nm for ps5 because at that time a lot of companies wanted 7nm and there was overall low demand for 6nm so it was very profitable to switch to 6nm (more products when ps5 was in short supply)... but now there is no longer a problem with the chips, so they have no reason to put in extra work in my opinion.

Last edited by Adam512,

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I just hate that they went glossy for the top panels, I thought they learned by now when they took the glossy hdd bay off the ps4 phat and made the whole console matte (made it look so much better that way too)

I get some people might like glossy, but I don't like to see finger goop on plastic thanks, and you know they're gonna made coloured panels, including black which will all have the same glossy top pieces. (then they'll sue when someone makes third party matte ones lol)
Watch out D-Brand, no dark plates 3.0 or face the wrath of $ony and get sued...again...LOL.
But $ony ain't that bad...not like Nintendont and it's trigger happy army of lawyersy, lmfao.

I have the 1200 series Ps4 in all matte black and its super sexy compared to the 1000 and 1100 series.

Yeah, glossy plastic is not only dust and fingerprint magnet but it scratches like crazy, even using microfiber cloth for wiping will still lead to micro scratches.

Weirdly I want the glossy black+white DeathStranding Ps4 pro to match Ps5's black-white aesthetics but $400 for a used Ps4 is exorbitant and $500 for a low firmware unit on 9.00 is crazy, so I dropped my Kojima Ps4 Pro ambitions since Ps5's on 4.03 and 4.5 can finally play Ps4 fpkg backups.

The online activation for the disc drive does worry me though, guessing they have updateable firmware on the drive to fix/prevent any future bd-j exploits. Otherwise it would just be plug and play like when you need to replace any ps4 slim/pro disc drive (since the chip for those is on the console mobo).

I can't see them using it to marry the drive to the console permanently, that'll piss a lot of people off, like say a ps5 disc edition dies but you wanna save money replacing it and buy the digital edition since you already have a disc drive you 'should' be able to just pop off the dead console and into the new one.
I thought Ps4 disk drives cannot be swapped out so freely, unless you buy a replacement drive that comes alongside with it's paired daughter-board. The daughter-board was married to the drive, but luckily not to the main board also.

Agreed permanently marrying the drive to one console will alienate alot of people But people(including me) are already pissed off by the entire online activation requirement.

Yes, it's a clever move to force people to update and hence patch out the Fl0w's BD-JB exploit, and yes also expect the updateable drive firmware to receive regular firmware updates ala the DualSense which also receives updates, this way any future disk-drive vulnerabilities can be patched directly to the drive.

Or maybe, like most greedy mega-corporations this is a simple cash-grab by $ony to lock out 3rd party drives and net in more revenue.

Reactions: KiiWii and Rasa39

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought Ps4 disk drives cannot be swapped out so freely, unless you buy a replacement drive that comes alongside with it's paired daughter-board. The daughter-board was married to the drive, but luckily not to the main board also.
I thought that too because I went from a phat ps4 to a pro model and I know that is the case for the original 3 phat models. But as it turns out the chip is moved onto the ps4 motherboard for the slim/pro models, so if your drive fails you can just throw it out and get a new one.

The only board on those drives is the one with the switches that detect a disc and active the motor on said board that pulls the disc in and spits it out. (at least on pro model, I'm told slim is the same)

Weirdly I want the glossy black+white DeathStranding Ps4 pro to match Ps5's black-white aesthetics but $400 for a used Ps4 is exorbitant and $500 for a low firmware unit on 9.00 is crazy, so I dropped my Kojima Ps4 Pro ambitions since Ps5's on 4.03 and 4.5 can finally play Ps4 fpkg backups.
It's funny because that's the exact model I upgraded to, love that game to the point I've maxed it out couple times on ps4, then again on pc and again for directors cut. Was not expecting to enjoy it so much given I was going to quit in my first 15 minutes of play, but it somehow sucked me in and now I'm excited for DS2.

But again, I don't like that it's glossy, I wasn't aware when I bought it cos I didn't watch any videos and just saw some stills.
Oddly it's only the top white plastic that is glossy, and the prints are matte black (although they can scratch easy too, probably cos I think it's a matte paint or something, doubt they can mix matte and glossy plastic like that).

And yeah even with a careful dusting from a microfibre cloth, the top scratches. (looks great on the official stand though, even though I'm not a big fan of vertical mounted consoles, it's not a big deal on the ps4 when looking at temps.

I got a real good deal on mine, it had extra controllers and games so once I sold those, and my old ps4 (keeping condition and box prestine helps a lot to get good prices). It ended up being less than £200 for a boxed death stranding that I got on 9.00 (was like 2 months before public exploit) and it came with the controller in barely used condition, no palm grease or worn thumbsticks. (it even had all the dlc and soundtrack unused, some said they expired but sony added the content to my accoount anyway which was awesome)

Scalpers sell that controller in poor condition for like £100+ so very happy to have the whole set box included.

Last edited by Rasa39,
  • Love

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I thought that too because I went from a phat ps4 to a pro model and I know that is the case for the original 3 phat models. But as it turns out the chip is moved onto the ps4 motherboard for the slim/pro models, so if your drive fails you can just throw it out and get a new one.

The only board on those drives is the one with the switches that detect a disc and active the motor on said board that pulls the disc in and spits it out. (at least on pro model, I'm told slim is the same)
Now I understand why some people are stranded(DeathStranding lol) with unfixable Ps4's complaining they are useless paperweights coz they can't update to latest firmware to access PSN store to download digital games since Ps4 cannot update if disk-drive is dead(malicious), they can't play physical games for obvious reasons and they can't update to 9.00 from say 8.xx and so can't even access jailbreak-able firmware.

A very good reason to jailbreak your console if you ask me, in oder to insulate yourself from this anti-consumer bs.

Planned obsolescence is what it is considering that the drive is married to the motherboard and can never be replaced. The definition of e-waste.

It's funny because that's the exact model I upgraded to, love that game to the point I've maxed it out couple times on ps4, then again on pc and again for directors cut. Was not expecting to enjoy it so much given I was going to quit in my first 15 minutes of play, but it somehow sucked me in and now I'm excited for DS2.

But again, I don't like that it's glossy, I wasn't aware when I bought it cos I didn't watch any videos and just saw some stills.
Oddly it's only the top white plastic that is glossy, and the prints are matte black (although they can scratch easy too, probably cos I think it's a matte paint or something, doubt they can mix matte and glossy plastic like that).

And yeah even with a careful dusting from a microfibre cloth, the top scratches. (looks great on the official stand though, even though I'm not a big fan of vertical mounted consoles, it's not a big deal on the ps4 when looking at temps.

I got a real good deal on mine, it had extra controllers and games so once I sold those, and my old ps4 (keeping condition and box prestine helps a lot to get good prices). It ended up being less than £200 for a boxed death stranding that I got on 9.00 (was like 2 months before public exploit) and it came with the controller in barely used condition, no palm grease or worn thumbsticks. (it even had all the dlc and soundtrack unused, some said they expired but sony added the content to my accoount anyway which was awesome)

Scalpers sell that controller in poor condition for like £100+ so very happy to have the whole set box included.
Don't fret over the micro scratches, no one can ever see them anyway.

Am jealous btw, I really like the DeathStranding edition and you got a 9.00 version plus dlc, plus pristine ds controllers, on the cheap too...about October '21 so come December '21 you went like hallelujah...you my friend are one lucky gal or guy.

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
i heard that sony switched from 7nm to 6nm for ps5 because at that time a lot of companies wanted 7nm and there was overall low demand for 6nm so it was very profitable to switch to 6nm (more products when ps5 was in short supply)... but now there is no longer a problem with the chips, so they have no reason to put in extra work in my opinion.

Deliciously clever on $ony's part. Evil genius if you ask me to pull a counterintuitive move like going for a more expensive 6nm instead of 7nm and still end up profiting and making more money.

what does sony think? of course it's just for the money. smaller dimensions so more devices fit on the pallet and thus cheaper shipping and not only that.. they didn't put much effort into it (because more work costs more money).. Sony knows that people will buy it anyway.

Not to mention the improved logistics, economies of scale and streamlined production costs of manufacturing just one sku model instead of two.

And ofcourse less material used to manufacturing a slightly slim lighter version. Like all mega-corporations its all about the Almighty Dollar !

5nm or 4nm would be nice, but definitely not going to happen with Sony... see previous text. Even with the PS5 Pro, they will probably keep the outdated Zen2
which will only be slightly overclocked to save money because they don't want to design anything new (and therefore demanding on money) :lol:

The original Ps4 phat models benefited from reduced apu die size and as a result benefited from reduced power draw with every model revision.

The launch 1000 series used about 144-148 watts, the 1100 ps4 used about 130 watts and the all matte 1200 ps4 used about 110 watts.

The 2000 series Ps4 Slim used about 80 watts, but power draw remained stagnant across later 21xx and 22xx revision.

The 7000 series Ps4 Pro used an over-clocked ps4 Slim apu consuming about 170 watts, and like the Slim the 71xx and 72xx revisions remained stagnant at 170w.

Ps5 draws around 210 watts, not sure if the 12xx draws reduced power, but damn if they overclock the same apu for the rumored Ps5 Pro expect a very eco-friendly 300w power draw.

They have to go down atleast to 4nm before even dreaming of over-clocking that apu, 300w for a home console is bad business for the environment, heck the current 200w power draw is really bad for the carbon footprint considering $ony has already sold over 40_million Ps5's !

(Btw series-x and s combined is about 20 million total)

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Need to see what the drive looks like, cos I'm not seeing anything on that board that looks like disc drive chips. So most definitely gonna be on the drive itself so you do indeed marry the system to the drive when going online, or so it seems to me, but I'm no expert (certainly looks like it though with that chunky boi connector they've got).

Also bullshit that they still use custom chips built onto the board for the ssd when it's a standard 1tb (and specs on it aren't as crazy as they first marketed anyway). Was hoping to see a removeable standard nvme because at least when those fail you can just grab a new one even if there's a hardware whitelist like on the xbox series consoles.

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Also bullshit that they still use custom chips built onto the board for the ssd when it's a standard 1tb (and specs on it aren't as crazy as they first marketed anyway). Was hoping to see a removeable standard nvme because at least when those fail you can just grab a new one even if there's a hardware whitelist like on the xbox series consoles.
Exactly my thoughts on the soldered Ssd, cannot be replaced(easily) if they fail. The Cod3r experimented on Ps5 Ssd replacement and failed in the 1st video but succeeded in the 2nd video.

So unless you got mad micro-soldering skills or know an electrician who does, Ssd replacement is impossible.

Would have been cool to slap on two of Sabrent's 8Tb Ssd's on both internal and external nvme drives,
assuming motherboard supports 8tb internal, the external got firmware update to bump the expansion drive from 4tb to 8tb.

...Was hoping to see a removeable standard nvme because at least when those fail you can just grab a new one even if there's a hardware whitelist like on the xbox series consoles.

Guess what...x-bot m.2 nvme Ssd's are married to the console...to be expected from Micro$oft.

Can be replaced if the original Ssd is still working by cloning a hidden partition containing console specific encryption keys onto the new ssd.

But if the original Ssd has failed you can't retrieve or clone said encryption keys hence rendering the new Ssd unusable.

Thus the only way to repair a bad x-bot ssd is by sending the console back to Micro$oft for a costly out of warranty repair. Definition of anti-consumer practices and planned obsolescence.

Am a fan of this right to repair activist called Louis Rossmann. His videos are wild coz he sometimes just looses it and goes on mad raving rants that I always agree with.

Reactions: Rasa39

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0F1Qjn0Ac