ps4 making fan noise

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all! I would like an advice from experts:

My PS4 suddenly started making "fan" noise...So I said to myself, time to "cleanup"!
I opened it, an clean everything inside, all the dust, and remove the old thermal paste carrefuly, then replaced the Thermal paste with new thermal paste.
Well....The noise hasn't changed :( What shall I do next?
Shall I buy a new fan and replace??

Reactions: KiiWii

Panzer_Baboon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you didn't do things correctly, then you'll still have issues. What brand of thermal paste did you use? Did you replace any of the thermal pads? Did you apply the paste correctly? You need to apply it in a line down the middle...not spreading it or making it a pea sized glob like many say to do. You should loosely tighten the screws that clamp the heatsink then slowly tighten each screw 1/2 turn doing them in a clockwise pattern until they're all tight.

I used IC Diamond paste in my PS4 and Pro. They've lasted 2+ years nearly silent. The Pro is almost as quiet as my Series X even after hours of play on the most demanding games. I replaced the pads with some generics. The originals probably didn't need replaced, but I did it anyway.

If you used some generic paste, didn't use enough, didn't apply it properly, didn't screw it back together properly, etc... That's most likely the issue. I did it wrong the first time and it only lasted 2 weeks I used that generic Arctic brand paste everyone recommended and it's garbage for console use. Get some IC Diamond or Kryonaut brand. The IC Diamond stuff is thick like peanutbutter and won't pump out.

Reactions: HellGhast

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you didn't do things correctly, then you'll still have issues. What brand of thermal paste did you use? Did you replace any of the thermal pads? Did you apply the paste correctly? You need to apply it in a line down the middle...not spreading it or making it a pea sized glob like many say to do.
I've used the recommend thermal paste (IC diamnond) but Indeed, I made a pea Sized glob, but I doubt it would have so much effect, could it?
If one or two srew are missing, could it be the reason of fan noise? Sounds odd....what do expert do if after cleaning and new thermal paste is not enought?

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I change thermal paste and made a clean up of my Standard PS4, could it be the power supply or changin the fan?
Please, has noone had this pb? It hasn't been hacked in any way....Thx!

x23are

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Hello, I change thermal paste and made a clean up of my Standard PS4, could it be the power supply or changin the fan?
Please, has noone had this pb? It hasn't been hacked in any way....Thx!
Hi
If you jailbreak it before just run the Xplorer app and let it idle for 15 min and tell me the temp you see after that time.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
...My PS4 suddenly started making "Fan" noise...

You mean "Fighter Jet noise" like a Navy Jet taking-off on full After-Burners off a aircraft carrier flight deck :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

If it's a Ps4 Pro they have a copper heatsink and you could upgrade to liquid metal,
just apply conformal coating or clear nail polish on the tiny chips surrounding the apu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol