OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wondering if my PS3 Slim's HDMI is totally busted. I had it connected via a splitter in order to use my capture card with it, but one day, at random, it decided to just stop outputting via HDMI, and only do through A/V cables. I thought, that's fine, I'll use the power button reset trick, but no luck there either. I've tried plugging in an HDMI cable and the A/V and manually switching, but when I do, it knows there's an HDMI plugged in, but it only displays a black screen before switching back to the previous input. Is there some way I can determine if it's the port, or reset it to force it to work? Sort of at a loss here. I even tried factory resetting the thing, but that didn't help either. Could hacking it do something to fix it, is there a homebrew to check? Any help is appreciated.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wondering if my PS3 Slim's HDMI is totally busted. I had it connected via a splitter in order to use my capture card with it, but one day, at random, it decided to just stop outputting via HDMI, and only do through A/V cables. I thought, that's fine, I'll use the power button reset trick, but no luck there either. I've tried plugging in an HDMI cable and the A/V and manually switching, but when I do, it knows there's an HDMI plugged in, but it only displays a black screen before switching back to the previous input. Is there some way I can determine if it's the port, or reset it to force it to work? Sort of at a loss here. I even tried factory resetting the thing, but that didn't help either. Could hacking it do something to fix it, is there a homebrew to check? Any help is appreciated.
Have you tried plugging the hdmi cable straight to the tv without the splitter? Same with composite? Have you tried plugging it to other ports on your tv?
Does the PS3 stays ON (green light) when you get the black screen?

Reactions: Chary and Hayato213

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried plugging the hdmi cable straight to the tv without the splitter? Same with composite? Have you tried plugging it to other ports on your tv?
Does the PS3 stays ON (green light) when you get the black screen?
I have tried without the splitter, and I've tried different ports, even two different TVs. The ps3 green light does stay on despite the black screen yes.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried without the splitter, and I've tried different ports, even two different TVs. The ps3 green light does stay on despite the black screen yes.
Not sure if a defective hdmi port can affect and prevent the av port from working as well. Looks like it, if you've tried switching to a lower video output.
And you can't boot into recovery mode either?
Did you inspect the hdmi port on the ps3 visually for any bent/ misaligned pins, dirt etc. Same for the hdmi cable? Not a solution really, but worth a try imo.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All in all the system should be opened and inspected, the hdmi and av ports in particular.
Sucks when consoles crap out on you like that for no reason. Good thing that it's just the hdmi port (or the AV) that needs to be replaced, and not something else like the GPU, CPU, BD etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if a defective hdmi port can affect and prevent the av port from working as well. Looks like it, if you've tried switching to a lower video output.
And you can't boot into recovery mode either?
Did you inspect the hdmi port on the ps3 visually for any bent/ misaligned pins, dirt etc. Same for the hdmi cable? Not a solution really, but worth a try imo.
Recovery mode was a no-go, good call though. The HDMI looks the exact same as my other backup Slim, honestly. No pins out of whack, looks A-OK, which is the bizarre part. I'm wondering if something is undone on the inside, because it's the only real idea I've got left? I'm fortunate enough to have a backup PS3 in the first place, but it is a shame this one bit the dust so randomly D:

Looks like a replacement isn't the most complex thing in the world, but it requires soldering. It's either got to be that, or something about the splitter freaked it out? Since that was the last thing that it was plugged into before the hdmi bit the dust.

Reactions: CoolMe

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

My Super Slim had this EXACT same thing happen. Definitely hardware related. I ended up getting a replacement CFW Slim and using Super Slim for 1080i component in another room

Reactions: Chary

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit of a stretch, but it could be the hdd. The xregistry.sys is responsible for video settings, and it's on the hdd with nor consoles. I'm thinking you'd get an led light error if it was hardware failure outside of the hdd.

Reactions: CoolMe and Chary

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A bit of a stretch, but it could be the hdd. The xregistry.sys is responsible for video settings, and it's on the hdd with nor consoles. I'm thinking you'd get an led light error if it was hardware failure outside of the hdd.

But the AV works fine though? so maybe that's why it won't trigger the LED light error.

Reactions: godreborn

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recovery mode was a no-go, good call though. The HDMI looks the exact same as my other backup Slim, honestly. No pins out of whack, looks A-OK,which is the bizarre part. I'm wondering if something is undone on the inside, because it's the only real idea I've got left? I'm fortunate enough to have a backup PS3 in the first place, but it is a shame this one bit the dust so randomly D:
Could be a fuse that was blown inside the ps3, one that's part of the hdmi video output. Though i can't tell you how to know for sure if it's just the fuse and not the entire hdmi port, as it requires checking the fuse and its values with the multimeter.. 🙁
Looks like a replacement isn't the most complex thing in the world, but it requires soldering. It's either got to be that, or something about the splitter freaked it out? Since that was the last thing that it was plugged into before the hdmi bit the dust.
Yes, that's correct. You'd need the soldering skills, soldering equipment and the hdmi replacement part in order to replace it..
The splitter being the culprit is a big possibility. specially for cheap models, they draw out power from either the tv or the ps3 constantly, sometimes they do that even if the device is off. And maybe after some time of doing that, it must've blown the hdmi port on it..
Or it could 've happened just by coincidence (not likely)..

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PS3 BC which the seller stated it worked fine (years ago) so I purchased, then I received and it wouldn't show any video whether via HDMI or AV.

It's going back.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PS3 BC which the seller stated it worked fine (years ago) so I purchased, then I received and it wouldn't show any video whether via HDMI or AV.

It's going back.
Yea, you shouldn't deal with that. Unless it was insanely cheap or something..
And there's no telling on what other underlying issues it might have. Best to avoid it all together.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought about that. In my case, I switched the 60GB HDD for a 40GB. Did it work? Nope.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the AV works fine though? so maybe that's why it won't trigger the LED light error.
not sure. iirc, the 360 has a chip called HANA, which is responsible for hdmi. I believe you'll get rrod or possibly e79 error if something is wrong with it even if av works. the ps3 may be the same, but I don't really know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea where you could test another hdd without having to sacrifice the old one, just in case it doesn't work. the xregistry.sys also contains the hdd serial number, and since it's on the hdd with nor consoles, the system shouldn't know you've swapped hard drives if you just take the old one out, and insert a new one. you'll have to reinstall the firmware or custom firmware, if you're on that, with the new drive. you don't have to update to the latest official firmware or anything. did you say that the recovery menu does or does not work with hdmi? afaik, the recovery menu is a special case, so it's not governed by the xregistry, since it is after all, designed to fix major problems with the file system.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest eliminating all the cables and splitters altogether that had this issue, and try with a different but working HDMI cable to connect the console directly to the output device, could just be minor issue, hard to say without being able to phase out all the factors

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recovery mode was a no-go, good call though. The HDMI looks the exact same as my other backup Slim, honestly. No pins out of whack, looks A-OK, which is the bizarre part. I'm wondering if something is undone on the inside, because it's the only real idea I've got left? I'm fortunate enough to have a backup PS3 in the first place, but it is a shame this one bit the dust so randomly D:

The only fix for this HDMI problem I've found is You either get the port or if its the problem with HDMI board changed from a GAME repair shop or you buy a PS2 TO HDMI adapter you basically plug it into the av port and you put HDMI on back of it So u get 1080P on Av through it it isn't that expensive if u can't repair it Then just buy this adapter.......If anybody else has another found a way plz tell Me.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only fix for this HDMI problem I've found is You either get the port or if its the problem with HDMI board changed from a GAME repair shop or you buy a PS2 TO HDMI adapter you basically plug it into the av port and you put HDMI on back of it So u get 1080P on Av through it it isn't that expensive if u can't repair it Then just buy this adapter.......If anybody else has another found a way plz tell Me.
Those PS2 HDMI adapters are serviceable, but not ideal so a Sony/HD Retrovision Component Cable is the ideal solution.

However, PS3s go for so cheap these days it's cheaper to buy a PS3 than a CC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work