Hardware PS3 "red light of death"

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 60GB launch model PS3 which I've done the thermal paste on and under the IHS, and a fan mod. I'm trying to find another suitable candidate for a spare one which has to be cheap, work and have an intact warranty sticker (otherwise id be worried about getting a dodgy reflowed one).

Anyway there's one going cheap at the moment where the guy says he can "sometimes get it started for a short period" but then it shuts off with a "red light of death".

Assuming the seller is to be believed, that doesn't sound like a YLOD to me if it starts up for a short time? Sounds more like it's overheating and shutting off.

The ad sounds like they've had it a long time.

I've sent them a message asking if it boots up and if the warranty label is intact but I thought I'd check here just in case he doesn't reply before taking a gamble on it.

Last edited by britain4,

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK the guy says it boots up sometimes but not for long and it does show a yellow light before it shuts off. It's not sounding good and sounds like the beginning of a permanent YLOD to me so i think I'll wait for another

On the plus side it has warranty sticker on it but I'm not forking out for a reball and I've already got one to reflow so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.