PS3 Problem?

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a problem for a few days and my controller does not work when I turn on the console with the controller so he does not connect but if I turn on the console directly and wait until the PS3 is booted I can connect the controller normally. I installed Petiboot and Others OS a few days ago with the Evilnat I think it might be Petiboot because I also reset the console completely. With my old PS3 it works but I have not installed Petiboot. I even signed up on Twitter to write Evilnat until now, unfortunately, he has not yet replied.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never installed Linux on any system, but it sounds like some sort of bug. I know I've had this issue with an old ps3, but it was random where it would sometimes not sync.

Reactions: XDeltaOne

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've never installed Linux on any system, but it sounds like some sort of bug. I know I've had this issue with an old ps3, but it was random where it would sometimes not sync.
Hey @godreborn can you post this as a bug report on GitHub?
I also noticed another problem that has been bothering me for ages and that is you can't play PS1 properly so the Pal games. I'm currently playing Suikoden 2 on PS3 and it runs in 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz with Cobra but with Mamba it works. I'm sorry to say that I find it a shame that there are so many problems. I have also read from other people that some PS3 games also crash. Or can you try again that @Evilnat on GBATemp looks over?

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have a problem for a few days and my controller does not work when I turn on the console with the controller so he does not connect but if I turn on the console directly and wait until the PS3 is booted I can connect the controller normally. I installed Petiboot and Others OS a few days ago with the Evilnat I think it might be Petiboot...
Had this happen on one of my PS3's, way before Evilnat's CFW's. Could you try reinstalling the latest EN CFW? Also, have you tried resetting the controller? Yours isn't exactly rare problem - it's been happening somewhate regularly for ages. FWIW this can be caused by so many different things, that a bug report should be made by you, as you are the only one who could test possible fixes on your setup.

Is your controller Sony original, or OEM? Does the controller keep its charge?

//EDIT IIRC I actually fixed my controller sync issue by opening it and cleaning the contacts

I also noticed another problem that has been bothering me for ages and that is you can't play PS1 properly so the Pal games. I'm currently playing Suikoden 2 on PS3 and it runs in 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz with Cobra but with Mamba it works. I'm sorry to say that I find it a shame that there are so many problems...
You can't really expect the devs and betatesters to test every single PS1, PS2 and PS3 game - there are just too many of them. I have couple of hundred gaming hours on Evilnat 4.90 myself without any problems - so at least the games I play work flawlessly. Does every PS1 PAL game run in 60 Hz or is it just Suikoden 2?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @godreborn can you post this as a bug report on GitHub?
I also noticed another problem that has been bothering me for ages and that is you can't play PS1 properly so the Pal games. I'm currently playing Suikoden 2 on PS3 and it runs in 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz with Cobra but with Mamba it works. I'm sorry to say that I find it a shame that there are so many problems. I have also read from other people that some PS3 games also crash. Or can you try again that @Evilnat on GBATemp looks over?
I don't think that's going to do any good. he never responded to my last message, which was to see how he was doing. he should've gotten an email. anyway, I think he's moved on to twitter mostly, and I do not have a twitter account. if you do, you might look him up and tweet your issues.

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have now tested everything and replaced the hard drive with an SSD and now everything works, very strange.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have now tested everything and replaced the hard drive with an SSD and now everything works, very strange.
could be the hdd going out, but I'd suggest not using an ssd. the ps3 doesn't have the TRIM feature, so an ssd is likely to fail before an hdd even if it produces less heat.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
could be the hdd going out, but I'd suggest not using an ssd. the ps3 doesn't have the TRIM feature, so an ssd is likely to fail before an hdd even if it produces less heat.
The current consensus seems to be neutral concerning SSD's, as the recent ones do have bookkeeping features in firmware, reducing the need of OS intervention. I've used SSD on my PS3 for 2 years now without any hitch or problem on pretty high hour count. Early SSD's are bound to be a problem though.

With PS3 SSD's do not have noticeable performance gain though - just keeping temps little lower and also straining the PSU bit less.
Post automatically merged:

@XDeltaOne Even the Suikoden 2?

//EDIT Cobra apparently sets the mode automatically from PSX ISO name:
Cobra uses the region detected the file name of the executable found in the SYSTEM.CNF of the ISO. If the file name contains 'E' in the 3rd character of SLES, SCES, SCED, SLED, etc. the video switches to PAL. Otherwise it uses NTSC.

This can be overridden - or in case of false detection corrected - with adding PAL or NTSC into ISO name on HDD.

//EDIT2
Still on the topic of SSD's. Dualbooting PS3 into modern(ish) FreeBSD or Linux and possibly additionally mounting the PS3 partitions from there should even take care of the OS level HDD "grooming". (Dunno if even mounting the partitions RW is needed or if RO if sufficient) Something I'm prolly going to test once I get my testbed PS3 back...

Last edited by lwiz,

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The current consensus seems to neutral concerning SSD's, as the recent ones do have bookkeeping features in firmware, reducing the need of OS intervention. I've used SSD on my PS3 for 2 years now without any hitch or problem on pretty high hour count. Early SSD's are bound to be a problem though.

With PS3 SSD's do not have noticeable performance gain though - just keeping temps little lower and also straining the PSU bit less.

@XDeltaOne Even the Suikoden 2?

//EDIT Cobra apparently sets the mode automatically from PSX ISO name:

This can be overridden - or in case of false detection corrected - with adding PAL or NTSC into ISO name on HDD.

//EDIT2
Still on the topic of SSD's. Dualbooting PS3 into modern(ish) FreeBSD or Linux and possibly additionally mounting the PS3 partitions from there should even take care of the OS level HDD "grooming". (Dunno if even mounting the partitions RW is needed or if RO if sufficient) Something I'm prolly going to test once I get my testbed PS3 back...
Oh okay cool I did not know yet. So when I try Jade Cocoon there it is also so. I have to try some more. I'm at work right now though so I'll try it then. Thank you very much for the support. You have helped me a lot.

Hi friends! I tried again with Suikoden II and I understand now that works too! Somehow strange apparently it was completely due to the hard drive. So with Cobra it works.

Last edited by XDeltaOne,
Reactions: godreborn and lwiz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol