Pros and Cons of homebrewing an XBOX One X?

MultipedBeatle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've stowed my poor Xbox One X away in a tote for a while, as I never had reason to pick it back up after cancelling my Game Pass subscription. I recently homebrewed my PS4, and was wondering if there was a similar process for the Xbox that would open the gateway to emulation and homebrew projects.

I've seen the Retroarch thread, and heard many good things about homebrewing the OG Xbox and a little buzz about the 360.

What are the pros to homebrewing an Xbox One? Any fun features I can take advantage of or homebrew applications?

On the other side of the coin, what are the cons? I assume that I cannot use online features, and that I would be limited in my support if something were to go wrong.

I really just want to get a sense if it's worth the effort or not, as I know that Nintendo consoles are seen as golden children for homebrew. I've already homebrewed a majority of my Nintendo consoles, so I figure that many things on the Wii or Wii U would overshadow that on the Xbox.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've stowed my poor Xbox One X away in a tote for a while, as I never had reason to pick it back up after cancelling my Game Pass subscription. I recently homebrewed my PS4, and was wondering if there was a similar process for the Xbox that would open the gateway to emulation and homebrew projects.

I've seen the Retroarch thread, and heard many good things about homebrewing the OG Xbox and a little buzz about the 360.

What are the pros to homebrewing an Xbox One? Any fun features I can take advantage of or homebrew applications?

On the other side of the coin, what are the cons? I assume that I cannot use online features, and that I would be limited in my support if something were to go wrong.

I really just want to get a sense if it's worth the effort or not, as I know that Nintendo consoles are seen as golden children for homebrew. I've already homebrewed a majority of my Nintendo consoles, so I figure that many things on the Wii or Wii U would overshadow that on the Xbox.
There's no hack or cfw for Xbox One consoles that allows playing Xbox game backups.
As for homebrew, there's dev mode and this, you can run emulators of other systems like (Retroarch) to play PS1, PS2 etc. games, but other than that that's it.

Reactions: BigOnYa

UnpredictableEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im pretty sure getting full code execution on an xbox one would definitely trip some hardware flag or something, ontop of the platform security processor in it can probably detect unsigned code being executed or code being executed from places in memory it should not be executing from, thus again trip a flag or cause a halt, crash, or reset and probably stores logs and dumps that microsoft will use to permaban the xbox one next time it connects to xbox live even if the exploit isn't actively running

UnpredictableEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox one never drew enough interest unlike the PS4.
makes my xbox one a good investment you dont see people on xbox nowadays complaining about aimbots, mod menus, stat and profile corruptions, etc.

with gta v on pc being so broken you can use it to remotely install trojans and viruses and ps4 and ps5 having cfw you can just port that over.... makes me glad i bought an xbox one

all console mods are just ports of mods from the pc version anyway if you can do it with the pc version, you can run it on the console, just drm is in the way... really the entire game needed a pc to develop and pre render lots of the graphics anyway

Last edited by UnpredictableEnigma,

UnpredictableEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah other than devmode which is a sandbox with limitations you cannot run unsigned native low level code on an xbox one, not with very high permissions or full hardware access presently

blinkoutatime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
makes my xbox one a good investment you dont see people on xbox nowadays complaining about aimbots, mod menus, stat and profile corruptions, etc.

with gta v on pc being so broken you can use it to remotely install trojans and viruses and ps4 and ps5 having cfw you can just port that over.... makes me glad i bought an xbox one

all console mods are just ports of mods from the pc version anyway if you can do it with the pc version, you can run it on the console, just drm is in the way... really the entire game needed a pc to develop and pre render lots of the graphics anyway
I am sorry but not sorry, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Post automatically merged:

yeah other than devmode which is a sandbox with limitations you cannot run unsigned native low level code on an xbox one, not with very high permissions or full hardware access presently
I just gotta say you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You cannot port viruses from one code to another, it just doesn't work that way, especially from system to another type of system, or from inside of a hacked GTA5 game, which no one plays anymore. I want to see proof of this, because I cannot find any. It is simply not possible without rewriting the malicious code, specifically for the kernel it is operating on. Emulation included.

you also said:
"im pretty sure getting full code execution on an xbox one would definitely trip some hardware flag or something, ontop of the platform security processor in it can probably detect unsigned code being executed or code being executed from places in memory it should not be executing from, thus again trip a flag or cause a halt, crash, or reset and probably stores logs and dumps that microsoft will use to permaban the xbox one next time it connects to xbox live even if the exploit isn't actively running"

This whole clump of words makes zero logical sense. First off, yes the XB1 can indeed run unsigned code, like every vanilla system, you just have to know how. Another thing, tripping a hardware flag? what is a hardware flag? I am an avid and experienced 12 language programmer, this simply doesn't make sense.

Here is how the initial exploit would work. First it would most likely be web based since those APIs in web apps have vulnerabilities, thus allowing us to execute an exploit similar to WiiU's method. The Starbuck chip in WIiU was something I would consider harder to accomplish than the Xbox1, considering it's just a PC using windows APIs and headers. There is always a way to exploit any system or find vulnerabilities in checks.

The system itself cannot "throw red flags" because it never gets to see it, that is what the problem is, once you have a way to throw unsigned code through the TPM the hardware won't know the difference, it is NOT doing checks past this. The encryption key(s) for this TPM chip are inside the system, they just have to be used to run the unsigned code and backups. Those have already been found, so yes indeed an exploit will be possible in the future. Microsoft doesn't do log dump reading, they do System ID reading when going online to detect unsigned code if being ran online games only. Kinda like PS3 and PS4 does.

The problem is that no one wants to do it, the system simply isn't worth it compared to features on other systems and the community of CFW creators on the Sony Side.

Last edited by blinkoutatime,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol