Hacking Problems with (old?) emulators on FERROX 4.82 COBRA 7.55 (and latest multiMan)

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I guess I am a little "late to the game", and this question has probably been answered here on the forum already. But after doing a search on "emulators", and a search on "resign pkg", I found no answers that were helpful to me.

I have recently installed a CFW on my PS3 for the first time ever. I used the PS3Xploit on my 4.82 OFW and installed Ferrox 4.82 with Cobra 7.55. I also have multiMan "multiMAN (BASE) 04.82.00 BASE (20180101).pkg" installed, which I use to play both PS3, PS2, PS1 and PSP games. I installed a few Emulator-packages, both "standalone" and designed for multiMan, however I can't seem to get them all to work. I am especially looking to get GB/GBC/GBA ROMs running, and I have tried an emulator called "20110603-233800-VBA [VBAM90000] [multiMAN].pkg" and a standalone package called "IV0002-VBAM90000_00-SAMPLE0000000001.pkg".

When I run this VBA-emulator through multiMan it starts, and I get to the screens where I can adjust settings (such as ROM-path). The ROM:s also list just fine, but when I select them to play, the screen goes black and after a short while I am returned to multiMan. If I run the standalone VBA-emulator from XMB I get the error code 80010007. From what I understand, this probably means that the .pkg is signed for an older FW (like 3.55), and I need to resign it (for 4.2+?). How do I do that? (And why do I need to do it? Shouldn't an older .pkg run on a newer firmware?)

Any help is appreciated!
I am eager to learn more, and have tons of questions I want to ask about many things I want to learn. But one step at a time... :)

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just wanted to mention that I have also tried another "method", namely using RetroArch. I tried both version 1.7.0 (CEX) and the latest 1.7.3 (CEX). I can load cores but when I try to load any ROMs I get thrown back to XMB. Any ideas?

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And now I have also tried all of the above with Rebug 4.82.2 REX/D-REX. Same result. Please advice!

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I tried this guide, and even tried the VBA-emulator he made that way, and it still doesn't run. :mellow:
I guess it's more to it than just resigning an EBOOT.
I found older versions of the same emulator that is running, and even managed to find a RetroArch (1.0.0.2) that works just fine.
I guess the force is too weak within me for understanding all what is going on (or is not going on). :)

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So, I have manage to fiddle around with about 100 different .pkg-files of different emulators since my last post in this thread!
The ones I got to work was usually through multiMan or using TrueAncestor PKG Repacker v2.45.
I'm too new here to paste links, but for future reference (if anyone else should be interested in this) I will list the emulators that I managed to get working (on CFW Rebug 4.82.2 CEX [called REX?]).
If anyone has newer versions working on 4.82 please enlighten me. Or if anyone needs to try any of these emulators, let me know.

FCEU v1.4
FCEU Next v1.50
Genesis Plus GX v1.3
Genesis Plus Next v1.6
SNES9x v4.4.9
SNES9x Next v1.0
RetroArch v1.0.0.2

EDIT:
I got more emulators working, but they are all somehow redundant to the ones above, or simply not wanted/used by me (like FBA, Gambatte, VBA, etc...)
Also, I found plenty of "old" emulators from RetroArch 0.9.9 working as standalone apps.

Last edited by The1stOne,

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of it has to do with Ferrox, I ran into a lot of the problems you hit, as well as some difficulty getting cobra and psp iso loading I eventually switched to Rebug 4.81.2, i needed to use habib's QA flag setter app so I could go from 4.82 to 4.81 Rebug after the reboot. After that, I use the latest retroarch build (which is just one app) when i load my core, then the rom I want to play and it's been smooth since.

I hate to recommend a bro reinstall his system update but I haven't had any issues since.

EDIT: I see you're trying VBA, are you using a GBA BIOS? gba_bios.bin is required in the system folder of retroarch for some GBA emulators, and I think that's one of them that needs it

EDIT 2: Oh shit, I just realized you're launching the packages, try installing them with package manager, that could be half the problems you're having.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,
Reactions: The1stOne

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think a lot of it has to do with Ferrox, I ran into a lot of the problems you hit, as well as some difficulty getting cobra and psp iso loading I eventually switched to Rebug 4.81.2, i needed to use habib's QA flag setter app so I could go from 4.82 to 4.81 Rebug after the reboot. After that, I use the latest retroarch build (which is just one app) when i load my core, then the rom I want to play and it's been smooth since.

I hate to recommend a bro reinstall his system update but I haven't had any issues since.

EDIT: I see you're trying VBA, are you using a GBA BIOS? gba_bios.bin is required in the system folder of retroarch for some GBA emulators, and I think that's one of them that needs it

EDIT 2: Oh shit, I just realized you're launching the packages, try installing them with package manager, that could be half the problems you're having.

I haven't tried Rebug 4.81.2, but I am on the latest Rebug 4.82.2 REX (so not Ferrox).
I have tried RetroArch 1.6.7, 1.7.0 and 1.7.3 (all CEX) and none of them work, it simply won't start ANY content that I load.
Yes, I have tried VBA with a GBA-BIOS, but to no avail.

What do you mean when you say that I am trying to launch the packages? I always install the packages first! (How do you launch a package?)
The errors show up after installing the package(s), like the initial error [80010007] that VBA throws when I tried to start it for example.
After resigning VBA with TrueAncestor PKG Repacker v2.45 I can start it and enter all the menus etc, and sometimes I can load a ROM and sometimes not (mostly NOT).
Now I have reverted back to using RetroArch 1.0.0.2 for emulating GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance and SEGA Game Gear, which so far has run smooth and perfect.

Angelita Perez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am also using ferrox cobra 4.81 in ps3 slim

I always use standalone Snes9x 4.4.9 emulator, but this just happened to me:
while playing around with settings, shaders and changing Snes rom games the emulator suddenly
stop working, it simple didn't want to boot again even after restarting ps3. the only way to make it work
is to reinstall the emulator "Snes9x_v4.4.9_4.21cfw.pkg" not idea who even resigned this.

so to make a long story short, I found out that there is a revision to the emu 4.4.9:

" Snes9x 1ce50 "

which took me a long time to find because of course is now old too, anyways I installed it but didn't work,
I think its because I need to resigned the pkg, I have try multiple resigning apps and none have worked :(

so my question is, do you know what revision of snes9x you have? can you resign snes9x 1ce50 and see if works?
or can you tell me the app and step by step guide how to do it myself? I will appreciated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUbaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJz