Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you have a debugger on it you would be able to read what comes off it, also way to be an asshat, you could politely say hey there is a sticky on this that people are using. You seem to be known for this already its good to see the community that runs this site already knows you to be a "Fervent", I read the sticky after I posted and thought maybe a mod would move it for me, but instead I get the worst welcome ever. I hope this does not show what the majority of this community is about. And you are someone I am sure that is adding a lot to this place.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You seem to be a very judgemental person. And your standards for the Internet seems to be a few bars too high. But don't let that stop you from contributing to the community.

For Rydian's part, let's just say that you can only answer similar questions so many times before you get a tad cynical and start snapping at people. Not everybody can have my saintly, almost masochistic level of patience. Also, him being a Furvert has nothing to do with anything - I don't see why you brought it up.

Better to stick on topic, and take any personal comments in PMs.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It was him misreading my user title as "Fervent"... which I have to admit I find hilarious 'cause it fits at times.

Well if you have a debugger on it you would be able to read what comes off it
As far as we know what's in RAM is actually encrypted so it stands to reason simple tracing won't get you "plaintext" (to use a phrase incorrectly) info elsewhere. In addition any actual info we have on the 3DS's hardware is what can be gained from basic reports and numbers printed on the PCB/chips. We know "ARMvsomething" and general info about the capabilities, but we don't know what chips are actually in there or how they're interacted with. That's why there's a fundraiser going on (link in my signature) to get a professional lab to decap and scan the 3DS's chips (or at least the main SoC) so the homebrew community as a whole can learn what's actually inside the 3DS (if the fundraiser is successful SEM images of the chips will be distributed to donators, I for one have no use for them but some people will use them to learn a hell of a lot).

also way to be an asshat, you could politely say hey there is a sticky on this that people are using.
And you could politely read the stickies before posting, instead of cluttering up the section with yet another thread that's full of vague ideas. If you had done that, we wouldn't be having this part of the conversation 'ya know. You seem to take first impressions seriously, but give a bad one yourself. Making your intro by posting repeat inquiries there's a sticky for isn't exactly the best "hello" ever. It's a bad first impression on your part, it shows rashness, unwillingness to check and follow the policies of the forum, and things like that (however an individual viewer would interpret it).

You seem to be known for this already
There's a thread in the gbatemp feedback forum about this very problem, people like you posting new threads with nothing new without reading the stickies. In fact, if you read that thread (the majority of it's not important so I'm not going to bother linking), there's actually plans in progress to stop people from posting in this section (specifically!) without reading. There's three locked threads on the front page for this section right now... so no, it's not just me. I'm just sometimes the quickest and (generally the) most vocal since I'm one of the most active users here. Most people don't bother to post after confirmation after an initial reply because... why? Why would somebody else come and post the same thing that was just posted? There's times when that may be necessary (such as when confirming an answer that seems dubious), but in this case it's a clear-cut "there's a sticky for this" issue so there's no need for secondary confirmation.

I read the sticky after I posted and thought maybe a mod would move it for me,
For future reference, you can report your own posts here. If you post something and then feel it needs to be moved, you can report it. The mods don't mind taking care of small things like that, they won't bite.

And you are someone I am sure that is adding a lot to this place.
Hahaha. You really need to read a few stickies, dude.

Zora64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So reading this thread i got curious and went threw my 3DS SD card searched threw the folders and i found that a .SAV file could be interacted with one of my PC games called Vindictus
so i double clicked and sure enough the game tried to run it and a error poped up saying Error checking patch not sure if this means anything but worth a type up in my opnion.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So reading this thread i got curious and went threw my 3DS SD card searched threw the folders and i found that a .SAV file could be interacted with one of my PC games called Vindictus
so i double clicked and sure enough the game tried to run it and a error poped up saying Error checking patch not sure if this means anything but worth a type up in my opnion.
First off, any program that's set to open .sav files will try if you tell it to. You could tell MS paint to open .EXE files, if you want. Doesn't mean anything will happen.

Second off, that was not worth a type up, so your opinion is wrong.

Reactions: Codename

Zora64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, any program that's set to open .sav files will try if you tell it to. You could tell MS paint to open .EXE files, if you want. Doesn't mean anything will happen.

Second off, that was not worth a type up, so your opinion is wrong.
as i have no experiance in the hacking other then making game mods and i just found it odd sence i didnt tell my computer to open SAV files with the game specifically and i still beleave it was worht saying even if its totally wrong i didnt say i was right i just said i thought it was probably worth saying

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as we know what's in RAM is actually encrypted so it stands to reason simple tracing won't get you "plaintext" (to use a phrase incorrectly) info elsewhere. In addition any actual info we have on the 3DS's hardware is what can be gained from basic reports and numbers printed on the PCB/chips. We know "ARMvsomething" and general info about the capabilities, but we don't know what chips are actually in there or how they're interacted with. That's why there's a fundraiser going on (link in my signature) to get a professional lab to decap and scan the 3DS's chips (or at least the main SoC) so the homebrew community as a whole can learn what's actually inside the 3DS (if the fundraiser is successful SEM images of the chips will be distributed to donators, I for one have no use for them but some people will use them to learn a hell of a lot).
I dont think you are getting the idea of what i am saying but I already have 50$ waiting for paypal to start back up for the decapping. And yes we got off to a bad start, I read the titles of the stickes and I read "Awesome3ds hacking ideas" and thought these must be what they are currently working on, and I stated as much to the mod that I had move it here. And yes my bit of anger toward the rude welcome I got did make me read it as fervent not furvert is very funny. I hope the decapping process will go great and with the holidays coming I dont think the info would be used really so the month we have to wait till paypal comes back up is not really setting it back, most the people will probably be doing family stuffs for the next few weeks.

The encryption is there and I (from what I have read on) can gather everything is encrypted and encrypted again. I see the PCB and see there were or maybe its only the dev boards (as I cant find a photo of the dev boards) there are only resisters that are only layed on for these boards, hell it could only be for jap/kor/eu boards, but I was wondering if someone had the skill and tried putting a few leads on some of them, and trying different resistor levels and seeing if an unstable environment that maybe then we could see some of the unencrypted code due to faulting the processor or the ram. This idea is just something to work on. If I had an extra 3ds I would do it and see what it would do just for curiosity sake.

side note: I am hoping that the rough start I had and you had with me will be the end of it, and maybe later down the line I will be on your side of the anger issue with noobs posting the same old shit, but being fair I didnt see this idea posted anywhere and seeing that it should be "deleted with out reading" seems a bit harsh, maybe 25 posts and under and they havent read the stickys and hit I have read this it should be sent to few people willing to give time to read thru and give the OK, I know the site already has something in the works but there seems to be an issue of there could be some gold in those people and even those with 1000+ posts dont have anything they can contribute.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HorreC, might I suggest reading through a couple other threads before you continue theorizing?
Try the "neimod making progress" thread and the "decapping" thread in this section.
Also visit 3dbrew for info straight from the source.
No one here, afaik knows squat about 3ds hacking except for a few knowledgeable ppl.
You need to read through the threads and learn a bit about the stuff that has promise vs the utter rubbish.
This thread is just ppl throwing ideas out there, which isn't really needed anymore imo with the decapping fundraising and the wealth of real info available. This thread is basically just the mega thread where 3ds hacking bullshit gets dumped. The good stuff is elsewhere.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually got the idea from 3dbrew, I was looking at the high res photos of the PCB and noticed the dotted line areas that didnt have resistors placed. Now knowing at some point they had them in there or only certain boards got them made me think. It could be like I said for different models like is done on many other devices, but its still in use as those same open spaces are on my 3dsxl so it makes me think that its not something we can use, more of the different regions, which sucks (as of now I dont know of a XL dev version so it kind of rules that out). I also said I have 50$ waiting on the decapping project just waiting on the paypal to start again (it was the whole reason I even thought to make an account here). I dont even put myself on the level of those working on this but I can put a few things together, I wouldnt mind seeing what a jap/kor/eu/dev pcb board, just to see the layout.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I know is I wouldn't risk my 3ds with placing resistors or any other component on the board. I haven't looked myself, but those could be test points and not unused parts of the PCB.
You are right on one thing, easiest way to find any difference would be to compare boards from different regions.
As for me, ill wait til a softmod or something, if anything is released before I tinker with my 3ds.
Good to know the board on the xl seems the same though.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The back of the board has all the test points they are marked but these are pads for soldering (as far as I can tell) but I thought that as well till I noticed all the points on the back showed the labeling of TPxxx and they were small points that went thru on to the other side. these ones dont match up. If anyone is planning on taking apart their 3ds for some odd reason and its from a non US version if you could PM me (and maybe see if 3dbrew wants them to post as well) just so I can have a look, I am mainly interested in the front of the PCB (the side with all the chips), maybe this will set aside my thoughts of weaking the stability of the 3ds.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats still a US board and I used his photos of the board to see this, and he is only attaching to the ram from what I can see, I am speaking of the hashed lines that mark out resistors that wernt placed in the retail model of the US version.

rondoh70

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That could be a possibility if neimod tells how he performed his save hack and if there is enough room on the eeprom to create an exploit.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That could be a possibility if neimod tells how he performed his save hack and if there is enough room on the eeprom to create an exploit.
I think he means games that access files from the SD card, not a save based exploits. (Brawl can load stages directly off the SD card, instead of just from the save). I don't know if any 3DS games do directly access SD card though, and if they do I'm sure they have encryption or checksums at least, which would be difficult to reverse engineer without the common key to decrypt the relevant ROM.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
I think he means games that access files from the SD card, not a save based exploits. (Brawl can load stages directly off the SD card, instead of just from the save). I don't know if any 3DS games do directly access SD card though, and if they do I'm sure they have encryption or checksums at least, which would be difficult to reverse engineer without the common key to decrypt the relevant ROM.

it's obvious it's going to be encrypted,we're talking about Ps3 security,even though Chinese hackers got the master keys but however,(maybe heavy content) QR can crash a game,somehow reading files through SD card.

Heavy01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is probably fake but I haven't seen anyone discuss it.

http://www.nintendo3dshack.com/

Their video accepts comments and likes, and while there are a lot of dislikes there are more likes than dislikes. So I don't know if this means that this is partially true, or people in general have clinical retardation.

Zero

Belief will always save me
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably fake but I haven't seen anyone discuss it.

http://www.nintendo3dshack.com/

Their video accepts comments and likes, and while there are a lot of dislikes there are more likes than dislikes. So I don't know if this means that this is partially true, or people in general have clinical retardation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.livescience.com/59831-cotton-candy-grapes.html#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20Cotton%20Can...