Homebrew Discussion Post homebrew ideas, suggestions, requests here

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an idea. Not the skills to do it but some of the basic principals to how it could work.

Does anyone (or is anyone) working to get Banned and hacked switches online via non Nintendo servers. I've seen this done using Lan and connecting to a PC. But I'm talking about something completely independent.

It would use something similar to 90DNS or the "emmc.txt" in the atmosphere folder. Basically it'd redirect a request to play online to another server (not Nintendo's). The server would be setup very similar to Nintendo's. You'd need a Nintendo account as some games need it (but it could be fake). It'd need to ignore serial info etc.

I know there's hurdles. The game version would need to match (potentially one switch could extract and download the update file to the other if needed) , what would happen if you achieved something? As it couldn't really affect the Nintendo account. Incognito could cause issues but I think a temporary fake key could be used. Plus hosting this would cost money. So I'm thinking this would probably need to be a chargeable service.... that said if enough people joined and the developer did it non profit donations could cover it... potentially though someone could make some money out of it.

Ban's, cheats etc would also need to be looked at.

The Tunnelled Lan is ok.... but I think there is a potential better way.

It might be too difficult or a reason it can't be done (maybe its the cost). Someone's also probably already thought about it.... but just thought I'd share.
Sounds similar to LANplay
https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-switch-lan-play.520912/

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is except Instead of Tunelled Lan, it'd be a Redirect service so you'd click to connect to the internet in exactly the same way you would in stock... and no need for a PC. Obviously it'd be modded switches only. I think it could be done using a hosts file folder in Atmosphere and a redirect similar to 90DNS.

For Stock switches and Modded switches to play together it'd need to be lan play.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is except Instead of Tunelled Lan, it'd be a Redirect service so you'd click to connect to the internet in exactly the same way you would in stock... and no need for a PC. Obviously it'd be modded switches only. I think it could be done using a hosts file folder in Atmosphere and a redirect similar to 90DNS.

For Stock switches and Modded switches to play together it'd need to be lan play.
What you're asking for is literally impossible and the following post better explains why.
It has been explained before but I don't think there is.

Hopefully someone more understanding of the tech behind this will correct me but in the meantime:

The architecture of the lan-play system is such that you setup your Switch to connect to a private network (*not* a VPN), broadcast over your wifi, and on which the connection to their router is done via a routing mechanism on a second machine (your PC) that pretends to be the real lan-server (that's the closest we get to the "V" in VPN). Your Switch doesn't have to do any more actual work in this respect, only the actual game's local play protocol needs to be considered (and that is done via protocol injection / "man in the middle" (mitm) ).

For the Switch to be able to do on this by its own, the first and foremost thing that would be needed would be that its wireless interface driver was able to host two IPs on two networks (which I already don't know if it's physically doable) so that it can connect to the real wifi for the actual internet access and to the private network at the same time; then it would have the ability to add routing tables that lead to itself, so your Switch can see "a different machine" (itself but on the other network) as the routing exit. And *then* it'd still have to have enough memory and CPU left to run the slp component itself that does the redirection.

Considering that things like Tesla menu overlays get very little leeway to work on the Switch, it's unlikely that all this would work.

OTOH, it's almost fire-and-forget to run the slp component on a Linux machine (there's a docker image for it), or on an Android phone (there's a package for F-Droid).

Reactions: VeniaSilente

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What you're asking for is literally impossible and the following post better explains why.

It might not be possible but I'm not talking about tunnelled Lan via a PC or hosting 2 IP's. So proper internet play.

What I'm thinking is a Change in the hosts folder in Atmosphere "emmc.txt". Currently that has all the nintendo servers and points them to a LAN address I think.

In theory could it not point to a new server? (Lets call it Faketendo). We could use a DNS server to access it in (like the old 90 DNS server) rather than the hosts file.

Once logged in the "Faketendo" server would act pretty much the same as the nintendo one so no need for Lan. Its the server setup that'd be the hard part.... and not somehting I could do. I can see a lot of hurdles with it (even from a non coding point of view every homebrew user would need to agree on the same host or it won't work).

Obviously that server would be hard to maintain and would require high level coding so I wouldn't expect that for free (but with enough people shouldn't cost much).... has anyone looked at this?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might not be possible but I'm not talking about tunnelled Lan via a PC or hosting 2 IP's. So proper internet play.

What I'm thinking is a Change in the hosts folder in Atmosphere "emmc.txt". Currently that has all the nintendo servers and points them to a LAN address I think.

In theory could it not point to a new server? (Lets call it Faketendo). We could use a DNS server to access it in (like the old 90 DNS server) rather than the hosts file.

Once logged in the "Faketendo" server would act pretty much the same as the nintendo one so no need for Lan. Its the server setup that'd be the hard part.... and not somehting I could do. I can see a lot of hurdles with it (even from a non coding point of view every homebrew user would need to agree on the same host or it won't work).

Obviously that server would be hard to maintain and would require high level coding so I wouldn't expect that for free (but with enough people shouldn't cost much).... has anyone looked at this?
I don't think you understand what the hosts folder is actually doing which is just dns.mitm or how DNS works. We aren't connecting to a new server; we're just blocking certain addresses from being resolved. The whole point of dns.mitm is to be a more customizable 90DNS. It has nothing to do with what you're asking for. So I repeat: what you want is impossible to do.

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think you understand what the hosts folder is actually doing which is just dns.mitm or how DNS works. We aren't connecting to a new server; we're just blocking certain addresses from being resolved. The whole point of dns.mitm is to be a more customizable 90DNS. It has nothing to do with what you're asking for. So I repeat: what you want is impossible to do.
As I understand its blocking the Nintendo servers by sending traffic to 127.0.0.1 (basically a loopback)? I was assuming this ip number could be changed to forward to any server?.... And then the Development could be done server side (similar setup to nintendo's own servers). Apologies for not realising.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understand its blocking the Nintendo servers by sending traffic to 127.0.0.1 (basically a loopback)? I was assuming this ip number could be changed to forward to any server?.... And then the Development could be done server side (similar setup to nintendo's own servers). Apologies for not realising.
Just because we can change what servers the Switch communicates with doesn't mean it will automatically begin communicating with those alternative servers the way it does with Nintendo's servers. The Switch is hardcoded to communicate with their servers in such a way to setup online play.

Uncle_Ned

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would like something to check for and clear files for games not properly installed. A recent update borked the tickets, but after uninstalling via HOS, the data is still there so I would like a safe way to remove this now useless data without a complete format

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would like something to check for and clear files for games not properly installed. A recent update borked the tickets, but after uninstalling via HOS, the data is still there so I would like a safe way to remove this now useless data without a complete format
DBI has a Cleanup Orphaned Files option.

emilin_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how difficult would it be to port an early! ps2 title to the switch? like, a very early one? i really want to replay Okage, but i don't feel like messing around with my ps3 to try to make the disc work.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how difficult would it be to port an early! ps2 title to the switch? like, a very early one? i really want to replay Okage, but i don't feel like messing around with my ps3 to try to make the disc work.
Very difficult, you can't really "port" a game without the source code, unless you undertake a huge reverse-engineering project. You can either use an emulator on a computer, or play on PS3 or PS4.

Reactions: impeeza

DrEleven

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Request: ScratchNX
I'm looking for someone to make Scratch on Nintendo Switch. I'd be happy with just a standard project player with controller support, but a full editor with new switch related blocks would be much appreciated.

ozz1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
like back then with a jtag 360... xlink kai was directly integrated into the CFW (freestyle dash) if something like that is even possible?! =)

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am currently using Awoo-Installer and JKSV (save manager). Are there better substitutes nowadays?

I don't like Tinfoil, if that's avoidable, since their red flag on launch, in Atmosphere, is extremely sketchy.

Also, is there an payload launcher that is up to date?

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoilno longer has that red warning and it was all because the dev of tinfoil had some disputes with the dev of hekate/community.

Anyways, I would suggest dbi for an installer.
As for a save manager, jksv is the best since it has more features, like injecting a save without needing to ever play the game first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/X2x6pu6vSjU