Possibly lost my hard drive after a system format... for the second time. Could anyone help me salvage it?

Sowden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. So I have been having some problems with NUSspli recently, and just last night it gave me a scare that prompted me to uninstall all the CFW installed and format the machine. I unplugged the hard drive because I didn't want it to format my drive as well, so I just unplugged it (using a Y splitter cable) and formated my machine. Now since I have it back up it will not read the hard drive again. This is the second time this has happened to me, as the last time it did I redownloaded everything (I haddn't used SaveMii like an idiot). I plugged the hard dirve into my PC, I tried to use DumpsterU to try to see the hard drive. After getthing the things the program asked for, it won't read the drive. Does anyone have any idea on how this can happen? Can the Wii U not read a drive once used on another formatted system? Any ideas on how to at least see what I had would be amazing. I can sit down and download it all again, but this would be a huge annoyance. Thanks guys.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can get the content on your computer with the seeprom and otp. The seeprom increases by one with each format.
Exactly as @godreborn said also its never a good idea to remove cfw and then do a system format when issues arise. There is always a simpler way to fix issues so just ask on the site plus half the time doing a system format leads to even more issues or the original issue not being fixed.

Reactions: godreborn

Sowden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like I said. I just spent all day using nanddump with the payloader (holding B on boot and finding it there). I added the two files and DumsterU still doesn't read my Wii U hard drive, even though it sees it.

Sowden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly as @godreborn said also its never a good idea to remove cfw and then do a system format when issues arise. There is always a simpler way to fix issues so just ask on the site plus half the time doing a system format leads to even more issues or the original issue not being fixed.
Yeah I have found that the format has not solved the problem like I had hopped. I am working right now with USB Helper to see if I can try to fix the problem.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I have found that the format has not solved the problem like I had hopped. I am working right now with USB Helper to see if I can try to fix the problem.
There's a specific byte that changes in the seeprom with each format and an entire line that changes with each boot iirc. I learned everything I know about the seeprom from @GaryOderNichts and Eyekey. I think the byte is 0x1bf, but I don't remember for sure.

Sowden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does my small brain, when it comes to coding at least, seeming to inturperate that if I wanted to see the contents of my Wii U hard drive through DumpsterU, I would have needed to get my otp and seeprom dumped before I formatted it?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does my small brain, when it comes to coding at least, seeming to inturperate that if I wanted to see the contents of my Wii U hard drive through DumpsterU, I would have needed to get my otp and seeprom dumped before I formatted it?
otp won't change, but the seeprom does. it changes one of its bytes, so you'd have to decrease by one for each time you formatted in relation to when you used the hdd. that's why I mentioned Gary. he'll know which byte you need to change.

Sowden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a couple of things. So I just decided to just format the damn thing and start over. I'll be spending the next couple of days using USB Helper to download, copy, and then install games because NUSspli just isn't working for me for some reason thats beyond me. I know now though that since I have formatted it again and are starting over, to do a nanddump now, that way if this happens again, then at least I would be able to see the hard drive. Next is that since I used USB Helper to download and install, it solved my original problem. I own the Mario Kart 8 disc, so I used NUSspli to download the update. But it would get to 18% and then fail (that I will discuss on another thread). But my problem was that if I went to System Tools and try to delete the half installed data, it would sit on the deleting screen and never complete. I set it to delete and fell asleep, and it didn't complete the next morning. So, I decided to clear the CFW, format it and start fresh. However after I did, tried to install the Mario Kart update using NUSspli again, it failed at 18% again, and it would hang on the deleting data screen again. But now that I'm using USB Helper, the whole process from my computer to my Wii U is working properly now. And I just won't be using NUSSpli until for quite some time. Which is such a shame, because NUSspli was solid on my CBHC firmware. *sigh*

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I recommend you to format and reinstall all, takes not so much time, maybe one hour, and after all will roll.
You will need to reput the wiiU back to manufacture setting and recreate with a well formated usb card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...