Feedback Possible fix for this 'soft brick'?

Bagujo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, first post here so hopefully I'm doing this in the right place!

I have an original 3ds here that I bought online. I've been getting into doing console repairs lately, so I went ahead and picked this one up because it sounded interesting. It was $30 and I had a good sized credit on Mercari so I figured why not try it.

Basically what happens is the 3DS acts like it is soft bricked. It powers on but stays on a black screen. Backlights are on, all other lights on the system are on, but no sound. Sleep function also works I can tell. It also will boot into recovery mode just fine, so I know both screens are working. The weird thing is, sometimes when holding down the power button to turn the thing off, every once in a while the power off screen will actually display, and on there the touch screen and volume work. But when I try to go to the Home Menu from there, it freezes on the splash screen. Because of this, I'm assuming it's the home screen itself that is the issue.

I have no idea if the system was modded at one point or not. I tried holding select when booting but no Luma menus popped up or anything. I tried holding each button individually on boot to see if I was maybe missing a method. Also tested the board in another 3DS to see if MAYBE it was the camera just being weird, although usually when it's the camera it doesn't even boot into recovery mode. Same thing happened in the other system so it's got to do with the motherboard for sure. I also tried swapping the wi-fi chips, no luck.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before, if this is likely a case of it WAS hacked and since I dont have that SD card, the 3DS won't boot, or if this seems like some hardware defect. I was going to try to load CFW on it as an attempt to get it booted but I cannot get into the settings or friends list as the current method I see on 3dshacks requires.

Also, another note, I tried the update from recovery mode and it just says it is up to date. However, I tried that on the other 3DS I have and it said the same thing, but then I went and checked the settings on there and it actually had an update to do, so I have no idea what firmware this broken one could possibly be on unfortunately.

I also don't see any corrosion or water damage indication on the board, so I don't think it's damaged in that way.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! And again sorry if this is the wrong spot for this kind of post! ^^' If it is I can repost it in the right spot if someone lets me know where!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The thing that's the most puzzling here is:
I have an original 3ds here that I bought online.
Everything you described fits to bad camera on New 3DS XL (and N3DSXL does boot into recovery mode because the head tracking isn't active there).
Try turning the WiFi off with the hardware-switch. Problems with the – seemingly working – WiFi is known to cause erratic behavior as well (the WiFi chip isn't inoperable: dead or missing WiFi results in nothing working, not even 8046 BOOTROM ERROR if I remember correctly).

Normally I'd say it is a case of uninstalled CFW after changing vital files, but that would result in a full brick (recovery mode) would not work as well.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before, if this is likely a case of it WAS hacked and since I dont have that SD card, the 3DS won't boot, or if this seems like some hardware defect. I was going to try to load CFW on it as an attempt to get it booted but I cannot get into the settings or friends list as the current method I see on 3dshacks requires.
That is the way to go. To be able to do/test anything, we need access to GodMode9.
In case of bricked consoles, the only applicable way is ntrboot and not one of the Seedminer methods or anything else. Please do not attempt hardmod: Very risky and can do less than ntrboot.
When loading GodMode9 for the first time, pay attention if you get asked if you want to embed an "essentials backup". In case this question does not, appear previous modding is apparent (GodMode9 already embedded the backup).

Good luck!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A buttered grilled cheese pb&j? Meh