Homebrew Discussion [POLL] FAT32 vs. exFAT | issue discussion

What do you use and did you face any issues?

• FAT32 - no issues yet

Votes: 151 21.4%
  • FAT32 - I had issues

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • exFAT - no issues yet

Votes: 412 58.5%
  • exFAT - I had issues

Votes: 128 18.2%

• Total voters

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No they are not. Any homebrew could crash anytime for any reason and if it was in a writing process while it did, some sectors or your whole exFAT card will be corrupted.
card corruption can vary on brand as well. You might be facing issues with exfat but mine hasn't had 1 fabric of a problem since the day I received my sxos last year of July. From nand dumping, key dumping, Choi updates, using cheats, ftp, and layerdfs. Homebrew is never meant to be crash stable tbh especially emulation, plugins can always go wonky at any given time regardless what you use. Typically any drive crashing while writing data can be corrupted thats not necessarily exclusive to exfat. I had that problem with my ps3's internal hdd during a storm when the power went out installing a game.

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: mmajunkie77

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with all this file system corruption, why is their no homebrew file system scan/fixer? If SX os was an actual operating system it would be managing the file system. you dont see file system corruption in the switch offical os FAT32 data partition do you.....

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
But, but its what the majority uses! :)

Majority didnt think about formating their card away from the SDXC standard, majority went with SXOS who told them that exfat is premium great for piracy, to sell them on their their solution that depended on everyone acting like the 4GB file size limit was an issue.

So the majority went with the inferior solution, and hyped themselves to be so smart all the way to the finish line, of having issues almost a third of the time.

This is why polling for "whats best" doesnt work by the way. People just think its a clever solution, because they've found the button in the forum software, and because its low effort.

Which was my tagline from maybe the first week being active in this forum again.

For polling to somewhat work in democracies, you have to literally ask deadbeat simple questions. Then give everyone 4 weeks of deliberation time, and media assistance to get their thinking process going, and cheat and ask their more clever, or affluent friends, how they think about an issue. Only then the "canceling out of wrong emphasis" works. Even in theory. In practice its a mere "do your worst", that prevents everyone from rebelling, and grants peaceful transition of power, and thats pretty much it.

Voting, as a measure of finding out anything - sucks.

Apart from one thing and that is finding out the "mood" of the popolus, which is very valuable, if you are in politics, and useless to everyone else. ;) Because its so prone to biases.

Now you've seen it in action. :)

Last edited by notimp,

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
i have to share my experience , not to convert ppl to fat32, but just to warn ppl.
i have 2 switch both using exfat since the begining ,until one moth ago i inserted both on pc and had the issue ( can't copy anything to sd ,but from sd its fine), so both of them where corupted like this ,i loved exfat until then.
so im using fat32 for both now.

Clapmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exfat was fine until I started using retroarch and everything on the card corrupted. Fat32 since and haven't seen any issues.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
And because most people dont care to know what causes stuff, they share wonderful adventure stories instead, and hope, that they connect to others so they do the same as they did, so they can feel what they did wasnt wrong.

Apparently this is what makes humans the greatest species on earth. ;)

exfat (with the driver implementation Nintendo provided) corrupts, when a writing process is interrupted. Being through force exiting or crashing an app, while it writes to the sdcard. Same thing could be triggered, by even shutting down the Switch, while it writes to the sdcard. Because Nintendo doesnt "unload" the writing process in those situations.

It never happened to me when I wasn't using homebrew, is a "you dont say" statement, because Switch games dont write to the sdcard. They write to internal storage (which Nintendo formated fat32, because they knew). It never happend to me until I was using homebrew, that actually writes more than a few kb to the sdcard while saving, is another "you dont say" story. Because you increase the window of opportunity, where this can happen with the size of whatever is written to the sdcard.

And out of this comes the statement "it never happened to me until I used x, but then it happened, I better share that story".

So it has to be x'es fault. No, it really hasnt. Every software can crash while writing to the filesystem. Have you seen the "scan for corrupted data" saveguards Nintendo implemented in the Switch, and Sony famously implemented in the PS3 and PS4 (where even shutting down the system sponaniously, will have you scanning the entire filesystem). Those are routines, that acknowledge, that this stuff can happen. Now - normally that stuff happening still doesnt corrupt the entire file system (only pre allocated filespace for the file it was writing). On the switch with exfat it does. Regularly.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: chaoskagami

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
with all this file system corruption, why is their no homebrew file system scan/fixer? If SX os was an actual operating system it would be managing the file system. you dont see file system corruption in the switch offical os FAT32 data partition do you.....

That would be a port of exfat.fsck from the exfat-fuse project, which by the way is inacapable of fixing some problems I've had. Aside from that, you have to close all open file handles and ensure the filesystem is not written during a check to safely check a filesystem. The switch provides no way to do this, so it would have to run under RCM.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Melhisedek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a exfat install on a 7.0 firmware with no fuses burned. What is the correct way of migrating to fat32? Do i just reformat my sdcard to fat32 or do I have to reinstall my firmware?

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a exfat install on a 7.0 firmware with no fuses burned. What is the correct way of migrating to fat32? Do i just reformat my sdcard to fat32 or do I have to reinstall my firmware?

if you have EXFAT Firmware installed it already includes FAT32 support.

As @Draxzelex said, backup all file, reformat the SD card to FAT32 then copy the files back to the SD card. It should work fine (as long as you weren't using emuNAND). If you were using emuNAND then it's a little bit more complicated in backing up the emuNAND partition or file, then splitting the main emuNAND file (as it would be > 4GB in size).

Reactions: stitchxd

Xecutar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok I have a question for those who use FAT32. What exactly are you supposed to do in order to get a big ass game like MK11 installed on your switch? Since files have a 4GB limit. How would you split those nsp or xci files? That's my only issue/concern that I've had to deal with and why I use exFAT. Mind you as well. I've only had issues running the PPSSPP emulator via RetroArch. Anything else that I run works well for me.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok I have a question for those who use FAT32. What exactly are you supposed to do in order to get a big ass game like MK11 installed on your switch? Since files have a 4GB limit. How would you split those nsp or xci files? That's my only issue/concern that I've had to deal with and why I use exFAT. Mind you as well. I've only had issues running the PPSSPP emulator via RetroArch. Anything else that I run works well for me.
Buying them on eShop?

TimeDevouncer

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

USB install or split nsp. No problem.

Reactions: Xecutar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol