PlayStation survey asks if players would enjoy having PS4 Remote Play on the Nintendo Switch

5b48c98c5ea108a4298b45f9.jpg

The PlayStation Vita was meant to be the king of Remote Play for PlayStation, but things never really turned out the way they hoped, with the Vita being known more for its miserable sales and its status as a "legacy system" a handful of years after its launch. We could get another chance at experiencing Remote Play on a handheld, though, if a recent PlayStation survey has anything to say about it. Reportedly, a Reddit user found a survey being given out by Sony, which asked PlayStation fans what features they'd like to see in the future, regarding Remote Play. Some of these questions asked if being able to play classic PS1 and PS2 titles through remote play would be appealing, if a mini DualShock 4 meant for on-the-go playing would be of interest, or if people would want to use Remote Play on other entertainment devices, such as the Apple TV, Android TV, or even the Nintendo Switch. Whether or not we see Sony actually implement any of these ideas is dubious, but it does seem like they're looking towards the future when it comes to PlayStation 4's Remote Play, or the service in general.

:arrow: Source

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Only people that have never owned a Vita and biased Nintendo fanboys believe that.
Vita vs 3DS; discount the shovelware, and both systems libraries are comparable in terms of quantity of games... and while the Vita can't compete with the 3DS's NDS backwards compatability, it still has the digital PSP and PS1 library available for it.

Nintedo has NEVER been the go to console for non-exclusive games - there was always a more powerful rival system for the non-exclusive third party offerings.
Only if you love weeb games. That's all the Vita has to offer.

Reactions: banjo2

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maaaybe? I don't know. It'd be something special but iirc the Switch isn't known for the best internet acceptance speed

Switch is apparently suited just fine for this kind of thing. In Japan, 3 games are playable on the Switch by only streaming them (they therefore have 'Cloud' at the end of their names): Assassin's Creed Odyssey Cloud, Resident Evil 7 Cloud, and Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud.

Beyond that, there was that app made and ready to be distributed, Rainway, that would have let users stream their PC games to their switch for remote play, but Nintendo never allowed that to be approved. And finally, the homebrew scene here has an app that does the very same thing. I haven't kept up with it, but when it launched, video streamed without issue, but audio wasn't there yet. I'm sure that audio is there now, or at the very least it can be in the future.

So I'm inclined to say that the internet speeds your Switch can achieve are absolutely capable of this kind of thing with the right devs and optimization.

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you call graphic novels and dating sims games, then please by all means go move to Japan to get your Vita fix. Literally nobody else cares about the Vita, and it shows.
you clearly have not done your research, go be retarded somewhere else.

Some games that are/will release(d) between 2019 and 2020:

Romancing saga 3 (rpg)
Risk of rain 2 (rouge-like platform shooter)
Battle princess madelyn (action platformer / metroid vania)
Shovel knight: King of cards (action platformer)
Earthknight (platformer)
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (jrpg)
Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey (rpg)

Yeah, "only" visual novels, oh wait, there is not even one in those examples.

Last edited by warweeny,
Reactions: Deleted User

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
the only thing miserable there is the people that believes that.
Let's be real. With sales below the Wii U and GameGear, the Vita was certainly in flop territory. The overpriced nostalgia machine of the SNES Classic sold half the amount of all the Vita's, ever, in a year.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Vita, but everyone knows it as the little system that couldn't. Even PS themselves. They abandoned it the moment the going got tough, pretending it didn't exist, and then slapped that legacy system label on it so people would stop wondering about it.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Holy shit yes!
I love using my PSVita to stream from my PS4.
Would be great if I could use my Switch for that instead since it has a bigger screen and to spare my PSVita a bit.
It's starting to wear out a little from its heavy useage. (Seriously, not being sarcastic. Played loads of JRPGs on that thing + didn't have a tv for a while so could only stream if I wanted to play ps4)

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They sell at a huge loss, really? Lmfao! Nintendo are making a huge profit from hardware sales. Chipset is out dated, display is out dated, joycons are not made of quality parts etc. etc. It will not decrease software sales. Nintendo consoles are for exclusives. Nintendo hasn't been the go to console for non exclusive games since the GameCube.
Naive. Console costs are more than just their constituent parts. Every console is sold at a loss, even PS4 and Xbox. A console's cost includes, not just its parts, but the cost of assembly, testing, design, prototype builds, programmers for the OS, SDK development and updating, advertising for the console, warranty repairs, storing and distribution, packaging, and a whole lot of other things. So yeah, console's are sold at a loss with profit made from the software purchased for them.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naive. Console costs are more than just their constituent parts. Every console is sold at a loss, even PS4 and Xbox. A console's cost includes, not just its parts, but the cost of assembly, testing, design, prototype builds, programmers for the OS, SDK development and updating, advertising for the console, warranty repairs, storing and distribution, packaging, and a whole lot of other things. So yeah, console's are sold at a loss with profit made from the software purchased for them.

Not all consoles though, the Wii famously sold at a profit of $50 each even at launch. Though I guess that's not all that surprising when you recognize that all they did was sell a slightly more powerful Gamecube at a new console price 5 years after the original Gamecube was launched.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
you clearly have not done your research, go be retarded somewhere else.

Some games that are/will release(d) between 2019 and 2020:

Romancing saga 3 (rpg)
Risk of rain 2 (rouge-like platform shooter)
Battle princess madelyn (action platformer / metroid vania)
Shovel knight: King of cards (action platformer)
Earthknight (platformer)
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (jrpg)
Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey (rpg)

Yeah, "only" visual novels, oh wait, there is not even one in those examples.
All of those are ports of games that have already been released on every other platform, a few of them are ports/emulated versions of old games a la Virtual Console. If those are the best examples you can come up with then it just proves my point.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Except Nintendo. Yeah, PS4 remote play may increase Switch console sales (which they sell at a huge loss) but it will decrease software sales (which is where the profit is). Why would someone who's interested in PS4 remote play pay $60 for a Switch port like Witcher 3 when they can pay $15 for the PS4 version? While the PS4 remote video compression will take a toll it probably wouldn't be as bad as the downgrade in graphics that the native Switch version needed to do. This applies for a lot of other games too, like Skyrim, DOOM, and of the Final Fantasy's Crash and Spyro trilogies and it could even decrease potential future ports for games like Kingdom Hearts 3 or Spider-Man.

Sony certainly wins as PS4 remote play on Switch can revitalize lost gamers who have been too busy to sit in front of the TV for some solid gaming but who can now play in short bursts on the Switch. I know I'd play a few PS4 games I have that I haven't actually finished if I could play them on the Switch.
well even if sony wants this, nintendo has to aprove this, which i dont see it happen tbh, if nintendo aproves this, then its the end of 3rd party games becuase they wont even bother codding for switch, when you can just stream ps4, which would turn switch into a wiiu with only nintendo games and nothing more.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintedo has NEVER been the go to console for non-exclusive games - there was always a more powerful rival system for the non-exclusive third party offerings.
what? nintendo had the most powerful console on the nes/snes day while the competitors like mega drive had more cpu computing everything else on snes was superior and so on, and even n64 was graphicaly superior to ps1 the only downside was storage because of cartridges so yeah i think nintendo had 3 systems that were overal better than their competitors, sure gc was much better than ps2 but xbox was even better and then after that nintendo realized they no long wanted to compete with competitors specs and went on their own, doing their own thing.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's a good reason for an end consumer to ever reject an additional feature to their thing? What downside would it be for the players? Isn't this more of a thing that's above the pay grade there?

D

Deleted User

Hope this never happens - SONY should release a VITA 2 and show it much more love. I have 4 VITAs (1 OLED, 1 LCD and 2 TVs) and they are awesome. Just ordered some new 2020 games (e.g. Knightin‘+) - still playing a lot with it, even on TV.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this never happens - SONY should release a VITA 2 and show it much more love. I have 4 VITAs (1 OLED, 1 LCD and 2 TVs) and they are awesome. Just ordered some new 2020 games (e.g. Knightin‘+) - still playing a lot with it, even on TV.
Shit 4 vitas - you must be world record holder so send pic to sony you may get 100 quid voucher or they giv you another vita

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What's a good reason for an end consumer to ever reject an additional feature to their thing? What downside would it be for the players? Isn't this more of a thing that's above the pay grade there?
easy because nintendo would loose software sales, and the real money isnt on hardware sales but software.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
how about the fact that the Vita has a sealed, nonremovable battery versus the user replaceable unit in the 3ds system family?
It's fairly easy to replace after removing 7 screws - sure, it could be easier, but it's all there in the manual (!), and isn't sold separately or intended to be swapped on the go like the first 3 models of PSPs...

And with that disaster called N2DS (a member of the 3DS family), Nintendo also switched to an harder-than-it-could-be to replace battery... continuing to use chinesium screws as with other consoles in the series ;)

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More PS2 for me, but HELL YES. The good Ratchet & Clank games, Persona 3 FES, and more I can't think of right now.

As in something like a JoyCon? No thank you; too tiny and cramped. The current DS4 is perfect; not sure how they're going to improve upon it for the PS5 and DualShock 5.

Out of those devices, I only own a Switch, and I don't tend to play games outside of the house, so...eh.
Remote play is not for outside the house. Both devices need to be connected to a network. I use remote play more for when I'm watching a movie and wanna play a game

Reactions: AkiraKurusu
D

Deleted User

Really ?
...Tempers...
...I am the one who has to do it ?
...*sigh*
... all right

GAME BOI

Sorry, I couldn't help it :)

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Remote play is not for outside the house. Both devices need to be connected to a network. I use remote play more for when I'm watching a movie and wanna play a game
Thank you for the elucidation; I thought "remote play" meant "out-and-about play", similar to what that Google flop and Microsoft's X-Cloud thingy are trying to accomplish.

In that case, I could be interested in it - assuming it's not ridiculously expensive or got other weird barriers.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you for the elucidation; I thought "remote play" meant "out-and-about play", similar to what that Google flop and Microsoft's X-Cloud thingy are trying to accomplish.

In that case, I could be interested in it - assuming it's not ridiculously expensive or got other weird barriers.
that is cloud based streaming, you dont have any deice you own running the game, they are being run on servers fra from you.

with remote play you need a pc/console/ whatever you own running the game and then stream to another device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2