Playing .wbfs files

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by raphzthename, Jan 14, 2011.

Jan 14, 2011

Playing .wbfs files by raphzthename at 7:18 PM (18,489 Views / 0 Likes) 12 Comments

• Newcomer

raphzthename New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hi all, I'm definitely not a noob when it comes to Wii modding, but perhaps I am a noob to the newer and greater methods out there. I typically mod systems for people and format their hard drives to WBFS, drag ISOs of games onto WBFS Manager and let the program do the rest. I know that you can now leave your drive in NTFS format and just leave the games in .iso format. I have just modded a Wii system for a friend who bought a hard drive from craigslist with the games preloaded. The hard drive is formatted in NTFS, but the game files are .wbfs. How can he get these games to run?

When starting USB Loader GX, it says that it cannot find a WBFS or FAT/NTFS partition. He has options to select a partition or format the drive. When selecting the main partition, it just gives a code dump. I'm hesitant to tell him to format as I'm not sure whether there is an option to partition the HD through USB Loader GX or if it will just wipe his entire drive. I've tested out a game with one of my USB drives using my method of choice (drag .iso to WBFS Manager to transfer to WBFS formatted USB drive) and it works just fine. I have also tried dragging one of his .wbfs files to add onto my USB drive and that doesn't work. Normally when you drag an .iso file into WBFS Manager, it shows you the game name and other info. Trying to drag the .wbfs file into WBFS Manager does nothing.

What's the easiest way for my friend to be able to play the .wbfs game files on his NTFS HD?

Shano56 noobie

Message Count:
    United States
    Make a folder called "wbfs" on the root of the hard drive and place all .wbfs files in there. What revision is the USB loader gx? Global settings > Credits should tell you

EmbraceFiction New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    You should format the drive in FAT32, and follow the above directions.

I also recommend CFG Loader [IMG].
    • Newcomer

Jackaltyson New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    (Note: this is only for converting to iso. don't use if you want to keep the wbfs files.) Download Wii Backup manager, open up and click files tab. then click add, select files then locate your wbfs file. Then, click transfer and then click iso. Finally, choose where you want the iso to be created and clik ok. Wait, and then you will have an iso to place on the drive if you format it.

EmbraceFiction New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    You can still keep your ISO files?

It just saves the .wbfs in a different location.

zizer New Member

Message Count:
    Western Sahara
    usb loader gx not support ntfs (use cfg). for convert games use wii backup manager

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Message Count:
    Canada
    not true, I just tried ripping to ntfs with gx 2.0 (just recently released), it works fine.

zizer New Member

Message Count:
    Western Sahara
    sorry , i don't know about gx 2.0

Shano56 noobie

Message Count:
    United States
    ever since about R950/60 ish it's supported NTFS

Shano56 noobie

Message Count:
    United States
    ever since about R950/60 ish it's supported NTFS
    • Newcomer

raphzthename New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I believe the game files were already on the root of the hard drive in a folder labeled "wbfs" when he brought his HD over. Inside the wbfs folder, the games are nested in another folder labeled with the game name. Does this have any effect on USB Loader GX not picking up the format of the drive? I believe the folder hierarchy is like so:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Madden NFL 11 (folder) > madden11.wbfs

The USB Loader GX revision is 938.

Shano56 noobie

Message Count:
    United States
    Hm, not sure about that one, what you could try is to put one of the games in > wbfs, and see if that works. If not, just put it back in the folder you found it.

person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Message Count:
    Canada
    its beacuse of the name of the file (I think) it needs to have the games titleid and be named in a specific way

Mine looks like this:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Mario Party 8 [RM8E01] (folder) > RM8E01.wbfs

or:

External HD > wbfs (folder) > Mario Party 8 [RM8E01].wbfs