OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
A faithful HackMii reader spent some time with AnyTitle Deleter and tried to clean everything odd off his Wii, and used the HackMii Installer to uninstall the HBC and BootMii/boot2. He then sent his Wii into Nintendo (of America) to try to get them to repair a noisy drive; the warranty had expired, and he just wanted to pay them to repair the drive.

After they received the Wii, they wrote him back and said that because he had unauthorized software installed (something they could not fix themselves — but more on this later), it would cost $200 for them to do any repair. He had them just send him back the Wii, and then reinstalled BootMii/boot2 and dumped the NAND and sent it to us to figure out what he had missed and anything else we could gain from the image.

I have a few theories as to what they detected, based on what things he did not manage to delete — and for a while, that’s all we had to go on, and it wasn’t going to make for a very interesting article. However, several hours with 0xED and grep and xxd paid off, and I found some traces of the disc they ran to detect “Illegal software”. Unfortunately, I was only able to find part of the data section of the main DOL of the disc, and not the code, so I don’t have actual screenshots to share — you’ll have to use your imagination this time. (If anyone has sent a Wii in to Nintendo for repair in the past few months, and received the same Wii back — no refurbs! — I’d love to see a NAND dump, especially if you took one right after you received it back. I may be able to reconstruct the rest of the disc.)

Full article http://hackmii.com/2010/04/check-disk-for-...cess/

Seems like its not a smart idea to send your Wii to Nintendo for repair anymore. You will be left with a $200 bill.
Considering there are other profesional services that can fix your Wii. Why risk it with Nintendo?

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is where you do yourself a favor, brick your Wii. Then call Nintendo Customer Service, sound distraught, and then tell them that your Wii won't display anything when you turn it on (basically, tell them that only the sound works.) Then make sure that you mention that you're positive it was caused because of a system update and that you have absolutely no clue what happened. And here's where teh lolz come in, THEY'LL REPLACE IT WITH A NEW WII FOR COMPLETELY FREE!!! hahahaha, got to love awesome personal experiences.

r3dfaction

Trophies
Website
phyzorg.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Good Job Nintendo
clap.gif

wiiman123

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well that doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if they possibly changed their policies for checking Wiis or created some new security disc to check your Wii.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, if they can't stop Homebrew and Piracy via Updates and onine, they try it locally when they have your console (or at least get money from you). It surprises me that Nintendo slowly starts to play more advanced...their previous attempts were all ridiculous, but now they seem to use their power and knowledge about their own console (finally)
tongue.gif

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
this is why its important to know what you install on your wii so even if you want to get a legit repair for somethig like a noisy drive you know what you must uninstall. but still he wanted a new DVD drive, not a whole new system.

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you fear to brick it with homebrews, just try updating, then unplug it, retry until it doesn't boot properly. They will send one before they check the wii. If they check it... because if you accept to share your credit card infos with them they send uour new Wii upfront.

I doubt they check bricked Wiis, but if you call for a noisy drive, that'll get them curious. Bricked wii because of an update? they'll just thrwo it into the *ro be reflashed* bin.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
beegee7730 said:
How did the disk work if he removed boot2?
I don't see where it was written, that he removed boot2 — he removed BootMii/boot2, but not boot2 itself.
Regarding the comments on hackmii.com it seems, that basically IOS0 seems to be a problem. Now how to get rid of this bogus TIK...?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the IOS0 is not the only issue. among the things left on a wii from installing titles is the entry in the UID. there is one for just about everything ever run on the wii with any sort of permission. it is like the timeline of shit youve done with the wii. the UID even has the entries for the setup discs used in the factory to set your system up for the first time. it has the first game you ever played (probably wii sports).there will be one for HBC, IOSes, every channel you ever installed, etc. even if you dont have any titles in the UID that are obviously homebrew, just the presence of one that does not show up on your shop account shows that you have tried to play a game which you do not own.

my best guess would be that the only way to fly under the radar is if you get a nand dump with no homebrew except bootmii installed, then restore that before sending in your wii. get the dump before you even install HBC. using bootmiiIOS should be okay since there is an official IOS that uses the same slot. if that doesnt hide what youve done, then i'd have to say hats off to you nintendo.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
giantpune said:
the IOS0 is not the only issue. among the things left on a wii from installing titles is the entry in the UID. there is one for just about everything ever run on the wii with any sort of permission. it is like the timeline of shit youve done with the wii. the UID even has the entries for the setup discs used in the factory to set your system up for the first time. it has the first game you ever played (probably wii sports).there will be one for HBC, IOSes, every channel you ever installed, etc. even if you dont have any titles in the UID that are obviously homebrew, just the presence of one that does not show up on your shop account shows that you have tried to play a game which you do not own.

my best guess would be that the only way to fly under the radar is if you get a nand dump with no homebrew except bootmii installed, then restore that before sending in your wii. get the dump before you even install HBC. using bootmiiIOS should be okay since there is an official IOS that uses the same slot. if that doesnt hide what youve done, then i'd have to say hats off to you nintendo.

hmm... twisted idea, since you know wii hacking alot more than I do. But can you in theory make a "UID" generator then? That random some games like SSBB, Wii Sports etc.?

Majroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe a dumb idea, but if you restore your wii with a NAND-dump from a clean SNEEK, there won't be any traces right?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that was my next question, can you just make a clean dump using IOS and system menu wads? either way im almost out of warranty and i do not plan on bricking my wii.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You mean trying to make your wii a virgin again?

yeah you can restore all the files back to original states but the wii history message log will still show everything you have done to the wii regarding homebrew.As far as i know there is no way to erase the logs.Formatting the wii system memory might get rid of it but I'm not sure if it will or not.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see it now:

"Hey nintendo, I have a noisy wii drive, I will send it right to you"

Three days later nintendo gets the wii and opens it up to find:

wiismash.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum