Picostation - A PSX ODE based on the Raspberry Pi Pico!!

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've done quite a few xstation installs, would like to get one of these going as well.
It'll be a while until all motherboards can be supported. I wanted to use my early model PS1 as an audiophile CD player and instead opt for my donor SCPH-7502 for the job.

my2k2zx2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only done 1 audiophile xstation. I'm always looking for 5501 when I go out thrifting. Found so many that had dead lasers, but that exactly what kind of a deal that I'm looking for.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've only done 1 audiophile xstation. I'm always looking for 5501 when I go out thrifting. Found so many that had dead lasers, but that exactly what kind of a deal that I'm looking for.
I had to repair my 1002 because of a faulty laser. It works but still has troubles reading specific discs.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those early model lasers can be fussy. We used to flip the whole console upside back in the day.
That's what I did. Syphon Filter had skipping FMV/audio, and so I flipped it over to fix the issue.

Reactions: mrgone

Airain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ordered all components, but I can't find how to convert kicad files into a working Gerber file :/

Maybe someone has already done it ?

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered all components, but I can't find how to convert kicad files into a working Gerber file :/

Maybe someone has already done it ?
You just attach the gerber files into a ZIP file and JLCPCB processes them for you. I believe there is an export function in KiCad.

Airain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gotta install kicad then :)

EDIT: installed Kicad, exported to gerber files, and ordered on JLCPCB (slowest delivery), i'll keep you updated

Last edited by Airain,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Airain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
- All parts received and assembled :)
- Paulo7x8 just released a test code that works with an audio CD bin/cue

- Tested and approved, sadly I'm not competent to help him develop, but it's on a great way !!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_155438.jpg
    IMG_20230113_155438.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
- Paulo7x8 just released a test code that works with an audio CD bin/cue ( )
- Tested and approved, sadly I'm not competent to help him develop, but it's on a great way !!!

That's brilliant. I love to see your progress going great.

Reactions: Airain

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
- Paulo7x8 just released a test code that works with an audio CD bin/cue

Great stuff! I've been following along with your convo with paulo on Twitter :P how much did the board cost you? I'm very tempted to grab and make up a board, but having to buy multiple amounts of the same components since they dont sell them in singles will knock up the price. I may wait until paulo finalises the part list/board.

Congrats on getting it all soldered up.. and resoldering the pico without damaging it ;)

Airain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great stuff! I've been following along with your convo with paulo on Twitter :P how much did the board cost you? I'm very tempted to grab and make up a board, but having to buy multiple amounts of the same components since they dont sell them in singles will knock up the price. I may wait until paulo finalises the part list/board.

Congrats on getting it all soldered up.. and resoldering the pico without damaging it ;)
Well, I'd say roughly 30€, but appart for the pico and sd reader, I could prepare 4 more PCBs.
I'm almost sure when the project will be more advanced that you could find assembled PCBs for ~10€ on AliExpress, but half of the fun is building it ;)

Hehe, the pico reversing was a real pain ^^

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'd say roughly 30€, but appart for the pico and sd reader, I could prepare 4 more PCBs.
I'm almost sure when the project will be more advanced that you could find assembled PCBs for ~10€ on AliExpress, but half of the fun is building it ;)

Hehe, the pico reversing was a real pain ^^
Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if you see ready made pcb's for cheap on ali. But in truth I quite fancy the idea of soldering up one myself haha.. IF ali were to sell unpopulated boards with the parts as a kit then that would be a insta buy for me. :)

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What are the limitations that prevent this from running in other motherboard revisions?
Can anyone share a tl I'm stoopid kind of summary?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol