Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is the repair pad better since it's flat?
Japp that's the point since u don't want any height und er the emmc an specially no UV mask since when u add to much u might have the problem that the emmc lays on it, also u don't have the issue that the wire might bend away after u resolder the emmc and the end u slightly soldered to the dat0 point

Reactions: linuxares

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
I'd buy your design, I bought this one for $10 and I'm yet to try it out.

If I ever get reballing right, that's my plan, to wire D and all data points. Wiring all data lines at once combined with your back MOSFET method. This cuts time for installing OLED, it might even be faster than the other versions.
This is very good chip for dat0 if you use hot air with no damge.

roxzii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey

I have a normal stencil the ones for 8 bucks and some solder paste,

i take nydeom magnets and lay them around the emmc put some double sided tape underneath the magnet to get them the same hight as the magnets so my stencil sits flush with the magnets, the u just drop the stencil on top add some solder paste and then u push on the middle of the emmc so the stencil doesnt warp up when u heats it up and tada u got ur reballed emmc

Stencil

Solder Paste
So you got magnets that are the height you need for the stencil to be flush with the chip? Did I understand right? I'm really interested in this approach since the proper jigs are too expensive for me.

ErickRayan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello friends, I have a question.
Can I just salvage the mosfet from a dead board of a random electronic device? What are the requirements for the mosfet to be compatible?

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Hello friends, I have a question.
Can I just salvage the mosfet from a dead board of a random electronic device? What are the requirements for the mosfet to be compatible?
I think the requirement is n-channel mosfet, and Rds around <20milliohms at 4.5V and the gate current could flows minimum at around >10A.

The picofly will use 3.3v to switch on/off the gate. So you need to see on the datasheet graphics at 3.3v to be sure.
For example (IRFH8342)
a.png

You could see for VDS 1V, the Ids for Vgs 3.3V is around 15A.

The idea of the glitch is to steal the power goes to the cpu by reduce the current that goes to the cpu. So the rds should be as small as possible to steal the currents flows.

Data from various mosfet which has been confirmed work is at <20mohms. Greater than that might work, might not. Just try it, and report back in here, so we could learn from your work.

For me is not worth the effort to use other. The brand new IRFH8342 in my local is as cheap as $0.1. So take out some mosfet from some random board might use electricity higher than $0.1. Also the time spent to search for the datasheet. Its more suited for someone whose curious and cost is not a dominant factor.

Last edited by abal1000x,

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So you got magnets that are the height you need for the stencil to be flush with the chip? Did I understand right? I'm really interested in this approach since the proper jigs are too expensive for me.
Not exactly the same height that swhy I underlay the emmc with tape 4 layer is what I need on double sided tape

Reactions: roxzii

floxcap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Install went well... Glitches perfectly & boots as expected.
Now battling getting I2C to send from Atmosphere. We'll see what the dev experts say :)
So... Managed to get i2c comms working through Hekate. Hardware and firmware proven working.
ScriesM & CTCaer are helping me (a lot) to get i2c working from Atmosphere.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
This is what I did https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/post-10190949
It was just for practice/fun, I have yet to do this in the switch and see if it survives :D
In the meantime I found this (was recommended by another member here and there are cheaper variants if you search for them) and it works much better that a normal stencil since it has a nice place/groove where the chip fits and will not move around while working on it.
So a flat piece of wood, a drill, some glue, some magnets and a $4 stencil and you got yourself a poor man's DIY Jig.
Or you could skip all that and just do this
And lastly, if you want to practice I would go for this and this
Good luck.

Reactions: roxzii

T0biasCZe

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I ordered the flex cable kit for my v1 switch, what other components do I need? (beside basic stuff like soldering iron/solder)

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I ordered the flex cable kit for my v1 switch, what other components do I need? (beside basic stuff like soldering iron/solder)
Its been all explained more then once here eather read the thread, u can also use the picofly guide in my signature or read the Aio Picofly thread there is everything explained

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
problem with that is that there is 613 pages :P
and the guide doesnt mention the flex cables with the esp onto them
You are missing alot by not allowing yourself to experience the joy of figuring out the things by doing some more reading or lets say "the hard way" not that there is anything "hard" anymore about this mod at this point.
The Guide has all the necessary info but here it goes...
- Mosfets to solder to APU (either bare mosfet/s or flex cable which has mosfets in it)
- One of supported rp2040 bords/chips
- 2x100ohm and 1x47ohm resistor
- ~36/38/40awg wire
- Thermal paste
- Kapton tape
- 2 sided tape
- Multimeter
- Solder mask (and UV light to cure that)
- Screwdrivers (Philips and TriWing)
- Soldering equipment (Iron, solder, flux, tweezers, microscope, cleaning brush, IPA,)
- Steady hands
- Common sense
If you are doing Oled then also a dat0 adapter or a bunch of other sh*t to do a proper reball/reflow
Happy soldering

Last edited by QuiTim,

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hi everyone! I'm installing the picofly right now and i have some questions. my switch is a v2 HAC-001 (-01) and I wanted to use the solder points on the emmc board instead of the ones on the motherboard as described by the official guide.
Looking carefully and more closely at the switch, now that I've opened it, I think they're simpler to solder.

Are there any pros and cons to this method?
.....and try to not double post since it's mostly the same people on both threads so it's just confusing for everyone involved :D

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    ohio is round on both sides and hi in the middle
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And real f ing high! But not the height. We got legal recreation now, so yea...
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run...