Permanent 3DS Save Files

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This still has to be the worst design idea ever.

I mean come on, what if this was done on pokemon...I certainly wouldn't want a kid buying say Pokemon "InsertVersionHere" and having half the nicknames of everything being profane terms.

Course, I don't have any kids of my own, not even married yet but that's beyond the point.

Permanant Save files are not coo'

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
maybe its the new methods that the 3ds implements (protection or something) that is causing the devs to decrease dev time on this issue as the may have thought it to be something otiose
if the games do get dumped in the future, again no issue for pirates

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spinal brings up really good points, also, I think this may combat flash cards if there is every one in the future for 3DS. Something tells me this would screw up how saves load on a flash card.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Rockym said:
[...................

The thing is, a lot of newly released games end up having used copies for sale as early as a day after they launched. I see it all the time. That's what the industry is upset about. I've always felt that they need to impose a window of about 1-2 months after a game or system is released before they can be sold used. It would also help to stop those ebay scums that buy up everything at launch.

You know I think I like your idea, sounds really neat. Too bad resellers would go banana claiming their rights, freedom and so on...You could never control them all anyway.
But you have a very good point there, often times they have used games that literally just came out, for a merely $5 less, which is stupid to buy in the first place, for that joke of discount ( and by the way the suckers buy from you at $20 and sell it at $45) I'd rather support the developers.
QUOTE(darkangel5000 @ Jul 5 2011, 08:11 AM) ...........
Same thing goes for like... everything you can buy used. Yet I've never seen a Industry, save for the games industry, complaining about it.
Ever seen a car that has limitations, just because you bought it used? Have you ever seen a music instrument that's unplayable on a live gig, just because someone bought it used? No? Neither do I.

I have to disagree here.
Those games don't have any limitation, they just keep some data memorized, like hiscores, unlocked items and maybe profiles, but you are not inhibited from play it trough again. Pretty much like a used car, there is a thing called " mileage " which shows how many miles your car has been driven in a lifespan, and can't be officially reset or modified, that would be illegal, because often times the price of a car is based on the mileage, but you are still able to drive it.
Plus , a used car is bound to get broken soon or later, and the user will spend a lot of money buying replacement parts that often times are only available from the official resellers. In other words, car makers make a shitload of money off a car lifespan just buy making and selling replacement parts, therefore used or new, they still make quite a profit.
The same goes for a lot of used stuff, being used , somehow diminishes the value of things.
So why do we expect games to be any different ? Pretending we got something new when it's not....
If you like new, buy new !

Besides, a big fuss is being made by people about not being able to start over.........OF COURSE you can, the game just won't reset the hiscores !
People like to get agitated over nothing..........

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sooo..... a player can't restart their own game!? That's so ridiculous. There's so many times that I delete my save and completely start over because I can't remember what I last did etc so want to start afresh. To take away the possibility of starting from scratch on a game is ridiculous =/

D

Deleted User

I don't like the idea of not to buy used games, it will be bad for those peoples who buy the game new, because they won't be able to sell, and bad for the peoples who can not afford a new game, me as example, in Brazil is very difficult to buy a new game, it's to expensive, around $70,00 (in stores is even more expensive), and if I import, i have to pay the taxes and the shipping, so if i buy it used it's more cheap. but if think that it's a frustrating try to ban the used game industrie, and i'll do my part and won't buy any game that I can't delete the save game, well.. maybe, because looks like the save tools released for 3ds is able to remove this stupid barrier, ( at least i've read it somewhere else...)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Little said:
Sooo..... a player can't restart their own game!? That's so ridiculous. ..............

Who exactly told you that you cannot restart ? Do yourself a favor, and go play one of the games mentioned, and then come back.
You know what is ridiculous ? People like you, getting all outraged and alarmed over something that's not entirely true.
A lot of people are actually assuming that you won't be able to start a game over, and spreading this misinformation all over the web, but is this really the case ?

Every time there is a change in the industry , there is always somebody ' not getting it " and getting all worked out over nothing.....
Like the kids in 2006 assuming that the upcoming Wii console was impossible to play because they couldn't hold their arm straight at the TV for too long, or the other kids that promised not to buy a 3DS because they have a bad left eye or something...blah blah ...
Get over it, this little change in the save system is not going to affect us in any way.
In a few weeks from now you'll get used to it, and this discussion will be forgotten.............

Check this out:
QUOTE(lookout @ Sep 21 2006, 08:36 AM) We know most of you will buy a Wii console in the future, before you do I'll like to warn you that
Wii remote controller could cause us Danger in our future?

Reason:

1.you might get whack in the face or nut or breasts
2.mash the remote controller to a objects while playing in loose (without wrist attach)
3.you could get wrist injuries or arm pain

Problem I through:

1.the wii Nunchuk cable attachment to wii remote controller seem to short and easy to be rip apart (boxing,fighting game)
2.you more like play game while you stand then sit, specially if you have kids (fighting, sword, spots game)
3.holding the Wii remote controller in air level could get very tiring and ache (FTP game)

=============================
buying a Wii and Play Heath & Safety
lecture.gif

sauce

Don't you feel like laughing now ?
That's what it will happen to this tread in a couple of months.

zif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you people are bitching about nothing. it'll never stick, 3ds is the only system to even have games with on-board saving. there is or will be ways around it with save tools anyway. if you want to complain about underhanded tricks against the resale industry, you should be more concerned with forced digital distribution and steam and online passes.

D

Deleted-236924

zif said:
3ds is the only system to even have games with on-board saving
What?

QUOTE(Zetta_x @ Jul 5 2011, 01:14 PM) Spinal brings up really good points, also, I think this may combat flash cards if there is every one in the future for 3DS. Something tells me this would screw up how saves load on a flash card.
Why would that screw up the way save files work on flashcards?

MSaki

Trophies
Website
nintendo3ds-place.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
attach ground pin to save pin turn on sit for a sec turn off remove cleared to factory default also if you play the game isn't that a good thing?

messing with pins are not a good idea but i know it is still able to delete just not natively.

seems to combat save exploits as if it doesn't natively delete them then it could create the new world of bricked games as iv only seen 3 bricked ds games in my life Mario kart super mario 64 ds and animal crossing as they don't make it past Nintendo logo.

and for flashcards eh isn't that what ROM modding is for? i would worry about homebrew on 3ds more than roms personally.

i doubt that 3ds will be hacked quick as if you look at dsi it didn't really get hacked due to lack of interest....

doesn't seem to be a problem yet as we cant even use the roms when dumped the most we could extracted as of yet is the banner and title info.

i say don't worry about it yet.

(i swear if some says bump they are not going to like the out come)

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
Zetta_x said:
Spinal brings up really good points, also, I think this may combat flash cards if there is every one in the future for 3DS. Something tells me this would screw up how saves load on a flash card.
It wouldn't. Nothing would change on the flashcart said as the saves would still be on the flashcart, and thus we have access to the files in ways we don't on commercial carts (i.e. deleting the save via a computer or the flashcart itself)

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Pingouin7 said:
Zetta_x said:
It wouldn't. Nothing would change on the flashcart said as the saves would still be on the flashcart, and thus we have access to the files in ways we don't on commercial carts (i.e. deleting the save via a computer or the flashcart itself)

Ok, tell me what they do different to these saves vs saves that can be deleted. Do they take away the option in game, do they use a new 3ds feature? If it is a 3ds feature (and by the sounds of it with multiple 3ds games it is), it may modify the way saves work and it may interfere with how saves are processed with flashcarts. So tell me exactly how these saves are locked down.

D

Deleted User

This is blown way out of proportion if you ask me. It's lazy to not include a reset feature in those games (for whatever reason they might have), no doubt about that. However, it's not like anyone released an adventure or role playing game which can only be played once and, honestly, I doubt that will ever happen.

Little said:
Sooo..... a player can't restart their own game!? That's so ridiculous. There's so many times that I delete my save and completely start over because I can't remember what I last did etc so want to start afresh. To take away the possibility of starting from scratch on a game is ridiculous =/
All of the games that have done this so far are arcade style games which don't require you to reset a save to start from the first level/mission.

QUOTE(master00d @ Jul 5 2011, 11:50 PM) even pro-evo oh man i was thinking to bay a 3ds and then bay a used copy of pro-evo T-T but now is pointless
What exactly is there in Pro Evo that deserves a save file anyway? Apart from a custom team I can't think of anything. Are there unlockables, high scores or even a story mode? Please don't think I'm mocking you. I seriously don't know because I don't play any sports games.

@Zetta_x Nothing changed about the save file itself, they just don't give you the option to reset it. In Mercenaries 3D you can even corrupt the save file using the NDS Adapter plus and upont starting the game it asks you to delete it.

D

Deleted-236924

MSaki said:
i doubt that 3ds will be hacked quick as if you look at dsi it didn't really get hacked due to lack of interest....
Implying there is a lack of interest in hacking the 3DS.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
spinal_cord said:
ferret7463 said:
It's true about the "Data" part but the cartridge itself does have a wear and tear factor. The save Battery is not new, the teeth on the card is not new the casing will most likely become scratched and chipped. Would you by a game at full price if the cart was badly damaged?

I'm not talking about badly damaged games. I'm talking about the used games that are still in good condition and in stores again only a weak or two after the initial release. The very fact that people buy these games actually takes money out of the pockets of the publishers/developers as the stores charge almost full price for some of the more popular used games.
But normally you buy the games from stores that bought from the original developer, so in that case, they don't lose anything.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
@Zetta_x Nothing changed about the save file itself, they just don't give you the option to reset it. In Mercenaries 3D you can even corrupt the save file using the NDS Adapter plus and upont starting the game it asks you to delete it.

It still sounds like a new feature to the 3ds and how it processes saves. I'm not talking about the save file is different, I'm talking about internally how a save file is written, stored, and read from. It may be a new feature to the 3ds in which developers can utilize within games. Once a game gets corrupted, the 3ds may not recognize the save file so it bypasses what it is trying to do.

All I am saying that, internally, it may be a possibility that the way the save file is processed has been modified and if a flashcart existed it may break it because the flash card wouldn't know how to handle this new save process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    not the type of thing I would do
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, most of my exp comes from my reaction score and threads posted
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I mean, I've never seen a message on a thread with more than 30 reactions at max
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just be a mod, insta likes for xp
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    and based on the table reactions only give 1 xp
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And insta fear from your enemies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i always posted on the eof meme threads
    xp is arbitrary anyway
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just like the like system people think it matters
    likes got introduced like years after I joined
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still feel as if they take away conversation
    post anything dumb, people will like it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs
    perhaps the rag tag team of idiots isn't awake yet...
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    When I remake my Wii system menu theme I'm gonna publish it to GBAtemp for people to have it if they want to idk I'm bored
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or busy humping each other
    digital circle jerk
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Zoom dcj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please stop wanking during this meeting
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies